PDA

View Full Version : Evo Ecu Limp mode

paparishi90
09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Ok so my newly turbocharged galant goes into limp mode, it seems to have a "rev limiter" at 2700 then it will step up to 3400 and completely limit at 4500. When i go WOT its as if I don't even push the pedal. I don't think i have a boost leak and it doesn't do so hot on engine load. I do have an HKS ssqv II blow off valve, i just learned those are notorious for mitsus, and i do hear a bit of compressor surge. You cannot adjust the blow off valve and yes it is VTA but i'm using the 3.5" GM MAF and a MAF-T. I'm almost 85% sure i got the wiring right. It is an externally wastegated turbo with a tial and it is a .63 A/R turbo. I'm now running 7-8 lbs of boost but i can never get full boost. If there is any other info that I can provide that might help resolve the issue just ask.

Johnathansgalant
09-02-2009, 07:59 PM
what tuning devices do you have ?? log from evo scan wideband afr readings... Alot of different things can affect it.. Theres no real limp mode for the ecu there is a 2 stage rev limiting so theres no way u can have 3 different limits... I would say u may be running too much or too little fuel or ur having spark issues big time.. Who wired it and how is it done ?? dual ecus or manual swap or what..

qnz
09-02-2009, 08:10 PM
just 85% sure you have the wiring right? :(

qnz
09-02-2009, 08:16 PM
what does the AFRs look like when idling and driving? if you could post your evoscan logs, we could take a look at it and see where it needs to be fixed (most likely everywhere)

useful things to log
afr
2byte load
LTFTs
knock sum
injector duty

paparishi90
09-02-2009, 11:56 PM
well the wiring is from boomslang so i'm sure most of it is right... its just that weird knock signal that i'm getting... i have a really short mitsulogger sheet but it does not have afr i didn't get a chance to log on there, not sure how to hook the innovate to it yet... I know for a fact that i'm running fairly rich but should it really cause that much of an issue? On e85 im idling at 15.2 and if i push the pedal a bit, before i hit fuel cut, it goes to 9.5-10.5 afr all the way to "red line" at 4500... it just does a fuel cut there for some reason. my logs are on my other laptop which i left at the apartment so i will be sure to put those up as soon as i get a chance.

paparishi90
09-02-2009, 11:57 PM
oh and i'm 5 speed swapped on evo only ecu... do you think that it may be the mas air flow?

GOOSEY2099
09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
What kind of maf translator?? When i wired up my EVO MAFT it took alot of changes in the evo ecu to make it work right. You are hitting a limiter because you aren't scaled correctly. Take your car to a tunner. AND DO a boost leak before that.

paparishi90
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I did do the boost leak test and its good up to 40 psi... I really haven't gotten a chance to mess around with the ecu, i'll probably do that this weekend. And yes i do need to change the scalings a lot! I have an evo 8 MAFT and what i was reading on their forums last night is that a ton of people have the same problem. The only real problem with the tuner is that there isn't one that is really familiar with the evo ecu. There is modified by KC which specializes in "mitsubishis" but they did a real shitty job on two evos both of which I, believe it or not, had to retune. I'm sure i can get it running but i just haven't had much time this week, had two calc quizzes and I have a micro test tomorrow. Once I log a bunch of data, AFR, ltft, injector duty, etc. I should have a pretty good Idea of the fuel issue. I'll post it up for you guys to see and get some expert advice.

GOOSEY2099
09-04-2009, 09:01 AM
What is your injector size? I might be able to give you my maft settings to get you started on a proper path.

Stewi
09-04-2009, 09:59 PM
I did do the boost leak test and its good up to 40 psi... I really haven't gotten a chance to mess around with the ecu, i'll probably do that this weekend. And yes i do need to change the scalings a lot! I have an evo 8 MAFT and what i was reading on their forums last night is that a ton of people have the same problem. The only real problem with the tuner is that there isn't one that is really familiar with the evo ecu. There is modified by KC which specializes in "mitsubishis" but they did a real shitty job on two evos both of which I, believe it or not, had to retune. I'm sure i can get it running but i just haven't had much time this week, had two calc quizzes and I have a micro test tomorrow. Once I log a bunch of data, AFR, ltft, injector duty, etc. I should have a pretty good Idea of the fuel issue. I'll post it up for you guys to see and get some expert advice.

When you did your boost leak test, did you have someone in the car with the gas pedal pressed down or did you manually open the throttle body? because if you didnt, you wouldnt catch a leak on anything connected to the intake manifold.

Johnathansgalant
09-04-2009, 10:17 PM
just fyi he said he doesnt have a knock sensor so thats most of his issues as its probably running on low octane maps...