PDA

View Full Version : engine swap 99 galant

keith6110
09-09-2009, 10:45 PM
long story short, serpentine belt broke and threw my timing off. This also bent all my valves leaving all my pistons with no compression.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/galant%20smashed/SDC10150.jpg

Here's the car without the motor in it with the frame dropped.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/galant%20smashed/IMAG0032.jpg

empty engine bay :icon_sad:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/galant%20smashed/IMAG0031.jpg

Luckey for me about 3 weeks back i found a 2004 eclipse gts motor. i planned on prepping for my turbo build.. apparently im swapping motors sooner than expected. Thank you from up above for speeding up this process :icon_mad:

50k miles on this one currently

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/galant%20smashed/IMAG0030.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/galant%20smashed/IMAG0029.jpg

Dont have any pictures, but as of monday night at 11pm lol, the motor runs and sounds really good. i changed the oil and tranny fluids. I am also going to turbo build my motor with no compression, i'll keep anyone interested updated or even just update this thread

What luck i have... serpentine that was just replaced -2 weeks ago ruins motor, conveniently have another motor i bought for other reasons.. weird huh?

For anyone using this as reference, my 99 galant had a 2002 v6 with 2002 ecu in it. This makes the gts swap easier. Sorry about that, i dont believe the 99 ecu works with a 2004 gts 6g72 lol. the A/C doesnt even have the same plug so i swapped compressors. 2 of the plugs dont match on the intake plenum, one will work but needs a lil more wire. The other, im unsure of what it even does, makes a clicking noise when i hook it up to the wrong plug though. The car idles a little better even with the wrong plug on that sensor.

beam514
09-10-2009, 12:16 AM
i dunno why but I am confused on how a serpentine belt breaking threw the timing off?

but good to finally see you posting haha I've been wondering where you've been. I had no idea you were building for turbo! did you mention that on MP?

WhiteGalant
09-10-2009, 12:44 AM
i dunno why but I am confused on how a serpentine belt breaking threw the timing off?

but good to finally see you posting haha I've been wondering where you've been. I had no idea you were building for turbo! did you mention that on MP?

MP? Tj got it back up and running again?

greddy
09-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Nice!!!!!!

beam514
09-10-2009, 01:06 AM
MP? Tj got it back up and running again?

no i meant previously in the past

keith6110
09-10-2009, 06:17 AM
i wish mp was back up, i havent heard anything from tj or even on another site from him since mp closed.

i figured you guys would be asking about how the serpentine skipped my timing. Well i just replaced it, was buying cheap belts previously so i had to tighten the belt up, then a week later tighten it again. So i just tightened the cheap belt alot so i didnt have to tighten it again next week. So that belt went, whatever. Decided to buy a more expensive belt, about 3x the cost of the previous belts, sweet better quality blah blah blah. Tightened this one as i did before and apparently it couldnt handle it and the backing shredded off this belt, it shredded itself around my harmonic balancer and also broke my power steering belt. The shreds somehow got sucked into the timing gear for the crank and stopped the crank for a short time. The belt kept going ofcourse and threw off my timing by 3 teeth. this ruined the motor, i have no compression in any of my cylinders. Timing belt is still tight on all the pulleys. explain that.

what luck that i had last week. between that and getting pulled over in a bs 30mph zone. :icon_rolleyes: Seriously everyone goes 40 anyways, i was going 45.. thats my f'd up story.

SPD_FRK
09-10-2009, 10:05 AM
That sucks to happen, but atleast you have a backup engine to toss in.

Galantfan88
09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
That really sux the valves bent...but hey now you have that nice eclipse motor in there, but its also to bad you didnt get to work on it that would of been sweeeeeet

keith6110
09-10-2009, 07:25 PM
That really sux the valves bent...but hey now you have that nice eclipse motor in there, but its also to bad you didnt get to work on it that would of been sweeeeeet

its alright by me, just means i'll be building on the broken motor thats all. it also means im not buying a dayco belt again lol.

beam514
09-10-2009, 07:45 PM
either Gates or OEM Mitsubishi

keith6110
09-10-2009, 07:56 PM
either Gates or OEM Mitsubishi

Gates it is.. i ordered a mitsubishi one the first time, took 20+ weeks to get it, even tho i stopped in the dealership at least twice a month.

Where can i get a gates belt? ive never even heard of that before

beam514
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
go to www.rock-auto.com

and just side note, Gates or OEM was what TJ recommended to me. I'm currently using a Gates belt for AC/Alternator belt (no Power Steering) and an OEM Mitsubishi Timing belt for my 6G74

keith6110
09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
a lil update on the car... it runs and sounds awesome!!! Im really scared of that timing belt, im going to replace that before the motor gets to 60k miles this time lol. The car kind of starts weird compared to the other motor and im not sure why. The sound from the exhaust and the intake is completely different from the motor. Its so much quieter and alot more engine noise than exhaust noise... Used to be about equal noises from exhaust and engine. Probably due to the intake plenum being different, but im getting used to it now. Check engine light is still on, must be a fuel pump or something. I mean i replaced the engine, cant be both engines are broke lol.

Also my frames creaking, if anyone knows how to fix this, feel free to post. i replaced the shocks and struts about 10k miles ago. potholes make the car have some kind of clunking noise, dont know what thats all about. It went away when i first replaced my strut bar links but it came back.

So glad the car starts and runs. When im in the car lol it kinda sounds like a tractor, but it runs great and you cant hear anything different when youre outside of the car. any info about this can help. i have one more sensor that didn't quite fit in the intake manifold for the vacuum lines, im going to cut the wire and extend it so it will reach opposite side of the motor to plug into one of the sensors i dont have working yet. This will leave one vacuum mechanism completely non functional simply because my wiring doesnt have anymore plugs. So thats what they changed in 5 years.. lol

I will have a picture update with the motor sitting in the engine bay. Possibly a video or something, depends on the weekend weather.

beam514
09-16-2009, 02:23 AM
hmmm might have been easier to just put a brand new timing belt on the engine while it was out of the car. Oh well.

As for the clunking noise, I'm not really sure on that lol

and also not really sure on what sensor you are talking about that needs extending? Have you scanned for the code yet?

keith6110
09-16-2009, 08:04 AM
hmmm might have been easier to just put a brand new timing belt on the engine while it was out of the car. Oh well.

As for the clunking noise, I'm not really sure on that lol

and also not really sure on what sensor you are talking about that needs extending? Have you scanned for the code yet?

its more of a vacuum valve than a sensor im guessing. i'll take some pictures.

yes i should have replaced the timing but, i went to pick one up at advanced and they told me it will be a 2 week wait. i was also trying to get the car done before the end of the weekend so... if it wasnt for that starter trouble, i would've been fine.

havent scanned the code yet, but im conviced that the fuel pump is going bad. The other motor had the ses on it for a long time, just kept of replacing spark related stuff, nothing helped as far as getting rid of the codes. replaced o2 sensors twice, all of them. so i dont know, i'll be working on it over the weekend and keep ya posted.

Bring380GT
09-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Are you running the GTS Intake manifold? or your stock GT one?

keith6110
09-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Are you running the GTS Intake manifold? or your stock GT one?

im running the gts engine which has the manifold already on it..

01galant01
09-16-2009, 09:44 PM
That clunking noise you hear could be your axles. Check the cv boots for any tears. Usually when they rip, the grease flies out and gives a metal to metal sound.

keith6110
09-17-2009, 06:28 AM
That clunking noise you hear could be your axles. Check the cv boots for any tears. Usually when they rip, the grease flies out and gives a metal to metal sound.

nah only one of the boots were ripped, i put a new one on and packed it full of grease. wonder if the type of grease used matters... i put this red crap in it instead of whatever that white stuff is. i wonder if it has something to do with one of the A-arm mounts.

Bring380GT
09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
im running the gts engine which has the manifold already on it..

Ok well did you ever think since the GTS manifold has throttlebodys in it that maybe its the reason your car is running weird? or did you wire up the GTS manifold to work like a GTS car?

keith6110
09-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Ok well did you ever think since the GTS manifold has throttlebodys in it that maybe its the reason your car is running weird? or did you wire up the GTS manifold to work like a GTS car?

not sure what youre saying, theres only one more plugin that im missing on the vacuum lines on the intake plenum.. i also do not have any plugs im able to wire to that. not sure what that valve or sensor even does. Something that controls or reads the vacuum lines anyways. I dont know how you could possibly wire up the manifold another way. Everything plugs in from my other motor to this gts one with the exception of the a/c.

Bring380GT
09-17-2009, 06:33 PM
not sure what youre saying, theres only one more plugin that im missing on the vacuum lines on the intake plenum.. i also do not have any plugs im able to wire to that. not sure what that valve or sensor even does. Something that controls or reads the vacuum lines anyways. I dont know how you could possibly wire up the manifold another way. Everything plugs in from my other motor to this gts one with the exception of the a/c.

That motor is a 10:01 compression and runs MVIM (Mitsubishi Variable Induction Management) the little butterfly valves inside the manifold open at a certian RPM, if you don't have it working it might have probs running right. IDK? you should be fine if you block that one vac line going to the runners (IE Butterfly valves) it should keep them open all the time. check out this thread on Club3g.com
http://www.club3g.com/forum/performance/531-how-gts-upper-manifold-conversion.html

keith6110
09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
ahh, thank you for helping me understand, i knew the compression thing, had no idea that they had butterfly valves in them... thanks, i learned something today lol. im thinking maybe its my fuel pump? my service engine soon light is still on, and i changed the engine lol. I just replaced the o2 sensors, i'll have to hook it up to the computer again and see what it says. i'll let ya know after this weekend if i fix anything. thanks for your help!

Bring380GT
09-18-2009, 05:46 AM
ahh, thank you for helping me understand, i knew the compression thing, had no idea that they had butterfly valves in them... thanks, i learned something today lol. im thinking maybe its my fuel pump? my service engine soon light is still on, and i changed the engine lol. I just replaced the o2 sensors, i'll have to hook it up to the computer again and see what it says. i'll let ya know after this weekend if i fix anything. thanks for your help!

No problem man :icon_smile:

M-Rod
09-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Keith, don't worry about trying to troubleshoot yourself. Just use an OBD scanner and figure out exactly what it is.

DryBear
09-20-2009, 09:37 AM
From what I recall, the butterfiles essentially change the runner length from short to long. I forget, but without a vacuum source, the butterflies just keep it in one of the configs (short/long).

I recall reading on Club3G.com that there was a change in the ECU/distributor after 2002(?). Are you using your stock ECU?

Edit: found the link - http://www.club3g.com/forum/gt-gts/122555-my-turbo-build-2-a-9.html#post2687171
Note: lots of BS in the link, but some good info nonetheless.

SPD_FRK
09-20-2009, 12:25 PM
That motor is a 10:01 compression and runs MVIM (Mitsubishi Variable Induction Management) the little butterfly valves inside the manifold open at a certian RPM, if you don't have it working it might have probs running right. IDK? you should be fine if you block that one vac line going to the runners (IE Butterfly valves) it should keep them open all the time. check out this thread on Club3g.com
http://www.club3g.com/forum/performance/531-how-gts-upper-manifold-conversion.html

From what I recall, the butterfiles essentially change the runner length from short to long. I forget, but without a vacuum source, the butterflies just keep it in one of the configs (short/long).

Check out the link in my sig for the Intake stuff. You should be able pull the valves out (which is what I have done for now) to actually get the full flowing potential of the manifold's design.

The valves don't change the actual runner length, but merely the amount of air flow going into the chamber based on the engine RPM. The design is really great if you want to maintain the intended performance design. When the valves are closed it allows sufficient airflow into the chamber at lower RPMs, but when you get into the mid-high RPMs more airflow is needed and the valves will then open to allow that.

The system is basically a progressive opening/closing variable intake, meaning it doesn't completely open/close at a given RPM. On your GTS manifold it looks like it is run just from a vacuum signal and not electrical like the XG350 manifold. To make the XG350 manifold work as designed it requires a custom module to operate based off the TPS signal on our cars. This is something I had been working on getting made, but time and money are the issue preventing further development of the module.

Whether you are interested in the variable intake operation, or just taking the valves out, a good thing to increase the bottom end on a stock motor would be getting a set of short-tubed headers. You could pick up a set of long-tubes if you wanted to get more high-end RPM output for racing, but if you are planning to build boosted engine you could easily save a great deal of money buying a set of the shorties on ebay for around $200.

DryBear
09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
I stand corrected.

keith6110
09-24-2009, 10:57 PM

I recall reading on Club3G.com that there was a change in the ECU/distributor after 2002(?). Are you using your stock ECU?

Edit: found the link - http://www.club3g.com/forum/gt-gts/122555-my-turbo-build-2-a-9.html#post2687171
Note: lots of BS in the link, but some good info nonetheless.

well sorry for no picture update guys, i'll get right on that lol.. a lil busy with work/school.

For the ECU swap. i forgot to mention. my car had a 2002 v6 engine in a 99 body. So the ecu was 2002 as well.. bought the car repo'd. had 60k miles on the body, probably less on the motor when i actually got the car. No real way to tell i guess. but now i have this eclipse motor in, so things are a little more clear. found out the hard way i had a newer engine in it when i ordered about 10 different belts lol. i should have just known since i had to replace 4 o2 sensors. All well, i'll throw some of this in my first post and get back to everyone on monday.

keith6110
10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
heres some pictures finally...

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/my%20galant/SDC10277.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/my%20galant/SDC10276.jpg

still working on the video, will post a link to it probably during the weekend, have to edit it and stuff.

M-Rod
10-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Good job Keith. Always nice to see something different like a GTS manifold compared to the stock one on 99% of the other V6's. Other than that, a couple cans of engine degreaser and a brush would work miracles under the hood :)

keith6110
10-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Good job Keith. Always nice to see something different like a GTS manifold compared to the stock one on 99% of the other V6's. Other than that, a couple cans of engine degreaser and a brush would work miracles under the hood :)

thanks, its not the first time i was told to clean under the hood lol.. i think its funny that the new motor doesn't have mitsubishi on the valve cover. i also like the looks and sound difference with the gts intake manifold, makes it look so much different/better.

keith6110
10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
sorry i made deadlines i cant meet. i suck at life, anyways im working on a masterpiece video lol. my lifes a little complicated right now and it sucks. i'll try to make it back on the site soon with some progress.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/my%20galant/SDC10316.jpg

stvn_mj
10-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Your life is not a good excuse for not getting us vids. lol Good job on the swap.

keith6110
12-22-2009, 08:13 PM
kinda digging this thread out of the graveyard, but i finally found the willpower to make a video of everything. let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6lKMnz7-zs

blue8g
12-22-2009, 09:21 PM
what's the light on the dash for? lol

keith6110
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
what's the light on the dash for? lol

for being awesome.. lol, i cant really figure it out. im going to change the fuel pump and see if that fixes it. im guessing its fuel pressure related. The lights been on since before the motor swap. i swapped engines and still on. its like, what? i changed the whole thing! lol

6g72lover
12-22-2009, 09:41 PM
l light CHEK board is the engine that turns on when the sensor is dirty air filter is dirty or dust i hence the pink powder inside the sensor activates the light

PuristMike
12-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Gates it is.. i ordered a mitsubishi one the first time, took 20+ weeks to get it, even tho i stopped in the dealership at least twice a month.

Where can i get a gates belt? ive never even heard of that before

I pretty this is a dead thread lol but just for anyone wondering, Mitsuboshi (Mitsubishi OEM belts) and Gates are both sold at NAPA (Gates makes NAPA belts)... Pricing is roughly $25 for the Gates and $35-$40 for the Mitsuboshi belts -of course I get employee pricing that's normally about half retail cost :D- but just in case anyone wants to save some money as opposed to a dealer