PDA

View Full Version : 4g92 head swap?

jluv97
02-20-2003, 11:53 AM
*drools*
Can it be done?

Jesse
02-20-2003, 01:33 PM
I'll get you a napkin for the drool. No it can't be done. Block doesn't mate with the head.

JiP
02-20-2003, 01:41 PM
4g92 mivec right? Dont think it will work the new model 4g's are usualy installed 180 degree from ours. IF the head even bolted up at all, your exhaust would be where your intake is now, and ur intake where your exhuast is.

But I dont know much about them to really say. If you wanna do 2g headswap theres a guy on 4g64group sellin 2ghead and intake for a mere $75 bucks and the shortblock ass. for 4g63 giving away for free, but u gota go pic it up =]

jluv97
02-20-2003, 02:29 PM
I am not sure what I am looking to do. I want to be different (which is why I was thinking mivec).

On some other site one of the admin's said it was possible to swap a 4g92 into a 7g by doing a headswap. I thought it seemed a little far fetched, but hey, ya never know till you ask.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a VR-G (6a12) swap work?

Has anyone tried this or seen one?

JiP
02-20-2003, 02:38 PM
arent 6 series 6 cyl? 4g64/4g63 have the same block thats why headswaps work. Even the newer model cars where the engines are flipped around the blocks are the same, the heads were remade so that the intake stays on the side it should be on when the engines flipped. The

Mivec though will be costly swap parts arent abundently available like 4g63 parts are.

jluv97
02-20-2003, 03:10 PM
I meant a full engine swap for the 6a rather than just a head swap (my fault) https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

JiP
02-20-2003, 03:46 PM
I meant a full engine swap for the 6a rather than just a head swap (my fault) https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

why not just buy a 6a 8g they look much better and save u all the work.

MidNightRacing
02-20-2003, 03:57 PM
I was thinking of doing a mivec swap myself. First there hard to get if your in the U.S. Second I belieive is that the tranny is located in a different way. And third I hear this swap would be extreamly hard to do you'll need alot of time and money, and good luck trying to get one in the states.

jluv97
02-20-2003, 04:11 PM
why not just buy a 6a 8g they look much better and save u all the work.

If they made an 8g with Mivec I would.

First there hard to get if your in the U.S. Second I belieive is that the tranny is located in a different way. And third I hear this swap would be extreamly hard to do you'll need alot of time and money, and good luck trying to get one in the states.
Shipping costs would be more than the engine. I never heard anything about the trannies (I'll check that out).

JiP
02-20-2003, 04:53 PM
I was thinking of doing a mivec swap myself. First there hard to get if your in the U.S. Second I belieive is that the tranny is located in a different way. And third I hear this swap would be extreamly hard to do you'll need alot of time and money, and good luck trying to get one in the states.

If the engine is indeed rotated 180, the tranny is different becuase it no longer has to compensate for our current engines spinning in the wrong direction, this makes everything more efficient and give ur car more power. With the engine flipped around, how do u plan to actualy bolt it in? The subframe was made for an engine facing the wrong way non of the mounts are going to come close to lining up. You would be doing major major work to do this swap. Anythings possible with the right amount of money though https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

MidNightRacing
02-20-2003, 06:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>If the engine is indeed rotated 180, the tranny is different becuase it no longer has to compensate for our current engines spinning in the wrong direction, this makes everything more efficient and give ur car more power. With the engine flipped around, how do u plan to actualy bolt it in? The subframe was made for an engine facing the wrong way non of the mounts are going to come close to lining up. You would be doing major major work to do this swap. Anythings possible with the right amount of money though</div>

I know that. The most important part is the money part. Money can get you anything. So in the future im doing a 4G63 turbo swap. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif was really looking foward to a mivec swap when I first heard of them but then I was told all the info on them. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif :x

JiP
02-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Am i the only one doing DOHC before turbo?

seth98esT
02-20-2003, 10:46 PM
no, i am doing the DOHC swap and turbo also :biggrin:

u have a 1g head or 2g head? im hearin its too much trouble to install the 1g head so i might get a 2g head instaed even though the 1g head is better

BEAST
02-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Why is the 1g head any better? Aren't they about the same?

seth98esT
02-21-2003, 01:51 PM
1g head air flows a lot better than the 2g head...usually a ported 2g head is about the same as a stock 1g head

JiP
02-21-2003, 05:05 PM
I have 1g head. I have everything except i need 3 lifters, 94 galant dohc cam gears and timing belt, and gaskets. Last three i'll get from mitsu, the lifters I'm hoping someone who pics up a head and is going to buy new parts will let mehave 3 of their lifters. I dont have the cash to upgrade everything, cams, springs, etc.. Otherwise I would go with 3g redesigned lifters.

More importantly...
Whats so much trouble about the 1g head? I havnt heard anything :

HiperSilver
02-22-2003, 01:18 PM
the new ralliart lancer coming to the States, is 4g69 MIVEC....thats a thought, 160 hp stock

seth98esT
02-23-2003, 02:38 PM
This is what I have heard:

Plan to extend 3 wires going to coil pack because of 1G location vs. 2G location.

You'll have to find a place to mount the 1G Transistor if you don't want to extend all of those wires.

There's a bracket with a bunch of small vacuum lines on the back of the 2G intake manifold/throttle body that will not mount to the 1G setup.

I fabricated a bracket to hold the 1G intake manifold, I do not know if the 1G bracket would have worked. Be sure to acquire the bracket with the manifold, I think it will work.

If I remember right, you'll have to grind a bit of the intake or engine mounting bracket to get the rear engine mounting bracket to mount up nicely.

You'll have to plug one of the large holes and one of the small holes on the 1G water neck. I used old sensors from the Galant engine I bought.

You will need the threaded nipple on the rear of the water neck to connect the water line going to the heater

and the 2g head will just bolt on, after filling those 5 holes on the block...

JiP
02-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Uh Seth, galants dont have coil packs! Either way your running new wires for the coil packs and transistor so ignore that. The intake bracket im just using the 4g64 one and dril new holes and if needed (because of heigh differences) stack a bunch of washers on a bolt and screw it in, so no grinding anything should be needed.

The water housing is a tricky subject. I was mad confused when I saw what the water housing looks like because it only had 1 hole for upper radiator tube i was expecting 3. Apparently the big water pipe that runs under the exhaus mani doesnt connect to this water housing, it goes directly to the lower radiaotr hose, the upper radiator hose goes to the water housing, and on the back of the housing is a 1/2" or so fitting where you run a line from that to the heater core.

No real major hangups with the 1g head and it flows sooo much better then the 2g.

What does the 2g water housing look like? I dont know much about how coolant flows through the engine so that is the part thats confusing me the most (which is probably retardidly simple lol I can write computer programs in 4 different languages and for 6 different types of microchips, but I cant figure out water flow lol)

seth98esT
02-25-2003, 02:58 AM
haha well the coil pack is for the eclipse head swap :wink:

im not sure about the airflow either, but i just got my 1g intake mani today, time to start looking for some injectors, a tb, and a 1g head...

JiP
02-25-2003, 10:03 AM
haha well the coil pack is for the eclipse head swap :wink:

im not sure about the airflow either, but i just got my 1g intake mani today, time to start looking for some injectors, a tb, and a 1g head...

Distributr cap won't bolt up to the 1g or 2g cam sensor, if you find one that does let me know.

MidNightRacing
02-25-2003, 07:18 PM
When doin just a head swap (lets say putting a 4G63 on a 4G64) would this also call for a total ECU change?

JiP
02-25-2003, 07:26 PM
When doin just a head swap (lets say putting a 4G63 on a 4G64) would this also call for a total ECU change?

That is EXACTLY what I am doing. Stage 1 for me is headswap, turbo probly next year. And if my company does not get the DIS converter to work then yes you must swap ecus You cant use a distributer with a dohc. 1g or 2g unless you wanna try to fabricate something wich could lead to you being stranded on the highway lol worth a shot

MidNightRacing
02-25-2003, 07:36 PM

That is EXACTLY what I am doing. Stage 1 for me is headswap, turbo probly next year. And if my company does not get the DIS converter to work then yes you must swap ecus You cant use a distributer with a dohc. 1g or 2g unless you wanna try to fabricate something wich could lead to you being stranded on the highway lol worth a shot

Now that I know that. To me doing just a head swap aint worth it. I could get a 4g63 turbo replace pistons, cams, valuve spring, and so on then drop it in there. It will be a fully rebuilt moter exactly how I want it and I could clean it up. Cauce the one I got right now seems to be rusted at the bottom. But hey you wanna do it go head. Everyone has a different view.

JiP
02-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Eitherway your swapping ecu's so whats the difference. Build the 4g64 motor up the way you were gona do the 63. Theoretically youd get much more power out of the 64 then the 63 because 64 is bigger.

There was a 94 dohc 4g64 up on ebay week or two ago I wanted to buy it soo bad but I had no way of picking up the motor or anyplace to put it if it was shipped to me.

MidNightRacing
02-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Your telling me that a fully built up 4G64 is more powerful then a fully built up 4G63 turbo? :shock:

JiP
02-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Your telling me that a fully built up 4G64 is more powerful then a fully built up 4G63 turbo? :shock:

Why wouldnt it be?

MidNightRacing
02-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Its a DOHC and it pumps what about 160hp and up while the SOHC pumps 140hp. You siad if you got the motor you wouldn't have anywhere to put it? I say f**k that i'll put it on top of my bed If I had to, but I got plent of Garage space https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif and right now my garage is in winter mod (stuffed up wit junk!)

JiP
02-25-2003, 08:15 PM
my grandfathers maxima lives in the garage its like 3 yearsold and has only 4,000 miles on it! Id basically have to kill him in order to use the garage lol

Lemme see if I can give you a better view according to Chiltons information table:

Galant 4g63 DOHC (non turbo of course) 140hp
Galant 4g64 DOHC 160hp

You take the 4g64 Dohc headswap you just gained 20hp, now turbo that. and if you build up the engine new rods, pistons etc.. youll be able to get more power out of your car with a 4g64 because ITS BIGGER! 2.4 vs 2.0

seth98esT
02-25-2003, 08:23 PM
agreed...by just slapping on the 2.0L DOHC head you just have a hybrid 4g64 because you still have the 4g64 bottum end

JiP
02-25-2003, 08:34 PM
He said he wants a full race motor so he would be buidling up the bottom end to. Another way to look at it is that the blocks are the same 63 and 64, all they did for the most part was take the 4g63 block and bore out the piston chambers now you have a 2.4. Plus I dont think 4g64s crankwalk like 63s do.

MidNightRacing
02-26-2003, 02:47 PM
OH now I get you. I was talking about the SOHC 4G64, while you were talking about the DOHC one. The Chiltons mannuel is realy helpful aint it! (I got one too)

twintap
06-10-2008, 04:52 AM
Has anything of this sort been taken up here before?

I have a 7G with 6A12 N/A. I read that there is MIVEC version for this motor. Has anyone done any MIVEC swap for the 6a12? Is this even possible at all.

I want to do this for two reasons: I think I can find a MIVEC head as plenty of JDM engines land here in Manila; and it seems a better option than shoving a 6a12TT (better economy, less worries than turbo, plus my '94 6a12 motor is good as it is with a low mileage of 57k ).

Will appreciate your inputs. Thanks in advance.

Bjerg
06-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Has anything of this sort been taken up here before?

I have a 7G with 6A12 N/A. I read that there is MIVEC version for this motor. Has anyone done any MIVEC swap for the 6a12? Is this even possible at all.

I want to do this for two reasons: I think I can find a MIVEC head as plenty of JDM engines land here in Manila; and it seems a better option than shoving a 6a12TT (better economy, less worries than turbo, plus my '94 6a12 motor is good as it is with a low mileage of 57k ).

Will appreciate your inputs. Thanks in advance.

Not entirely sure if the MIVEC heads would just bolt on the 6A12 block but you would have to get a complete set of wires from a MIVEC car - or do some serious modifications on the excisting.

That being said - the MIVEC engine is properly a lot more exspensive that say the 6A12TT engine (it is in Scandinavia, and since it has not really been sold in the States I guess it is not going to be cheap there either)