PDA

View Full Version : Got pulled over today......not for speeding

bsilver23
09-16-2009, 03:19 PM
So I got pulled over today on my way home from school by the state patrol and he pulled me over because i didnt have my front license plate on and also because he said my exhaust was too loud. He said that the exhaust cannot be louder than the stock exhaust. Is this right?? how can they say this when, for example, you go to the website to buy your exhaust and it says 50 state street legal. I thought it had to be something like over 100 dbs, but i guess i am wrong. Let me hear what you guys think about this.

beam514
09-16-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you may modify your exhaust from the catalytic converter back, as long as it does not exceed a certain decibel level. But I really think it depends on the state/city

SPD_FRK
09-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Minnesota, among other states have the same statutes on the display of front license plates, also in reference to the "noise pollution" emitted from louder cars, trucks, and motorcycles. A lot of cities have passed stricter ordinances on the noise issues also. You might notice in some towns when you are on the city limits they have a "noise oridinance enforced" sign displayed as well.

With newer vehicles coming equipped with an EPA Noise standard stamping on the OEM mufflers the local and state governements are using that to their favor to enforce things like loud mufflers. Though they still don't push the issue too much (unless you get a "royal" officer on you), they don't bother, but paired with a second violation such as a front license plate not displayed, or improperly displayed, they will take you for that and add on anything additional they can thats in the state statutes. Another thing to toss in here is that with cities passing these noise emission laws they are using the EPA stuff, which means that if they put it on the books then you would be summoned to FEDERAL court because it is considered a Federal Law violation and not a State/City/County violation. They ultimately give you "X" days to fix the item and appear in court to show proof of repair/replaement back to OEM standards, or you pay a substantially large fine, and if they wanted to can impoud your vehicle.

Some areas you can get away with small things like this...but its definitely a violation that you could be fined for.

bsilver23
09-16-2009, 06:01 PM
yeah i thought it was a certain amount of decibals as well, but then i looked further into the wisconsin laws and this is what it says. "No person can modify or change the exhaust system on any vehicle that would result in an increase in exhaust noise above what it was when it came off the production line. Turbo mufflers, headers, glass packs, and exhaust pipe tips that increase the exhaust pipe size are all examples of illegal modifications to exhaust systems."

johnygezony
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
^ no me gusta !

galant305
09-16-2009, 06:24 PM
a mi tampoco, but i cant help you

Red_Line
09-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Law says you cant install a louder exhaust than OEM. You did. You got busted. Any questions?

Galantfan88
09-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Its legal, but so are radar detectors and you still get in trouble for it when getting pulled over. The exhaust has to be a certain decibel, but hey thats what modifying your car is all about getting into trouble. lol

bsilver23
09-16-2009, 07:09 PM
its all good, it was a state trooper, i pass the city police all the time and they dont care, i am just happy it was warnings

bankz
09-17-2009, 09:26 AM
dude jus probably wanted to feel like he is actually doing something...lol

SPD_FRK
09-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Its legal, but so are radar detectors and you still get in trouble for it when getting pulled over. The exhaust has to be a certain decibel, but hey thats what modifying your car is all about getting into trouble. lol
Depending on the state you are in, it may be legal. As far as I know for sure, Minnesota, Iowa, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Ohio (along with others im sure) are all states that have Radar detectors and loud exhaust in the books as state violations and not permitted as legal vehicle equipment

ShiZnitH
09-17-2009, 10:10 AM
In Norway u can have a louder exaust as long as it dosnt go over a certain dB :)

charris
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
In Oklahoma and Montana, you can legally straight-pipe :P

00galantguy
09-17-2009, 04:07 PM
you can legally have radar detectors in wisconsin...

littlerick
09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
you can have radar detectors in tennessee also, not sure about the exhaust but i think its over a certain db

SPD_FRK
09-17-2009, 04:22 PM
you can legally have radar detectors in wisconsin...
Crap, just checked this stuff on their statutes and they updated them to be legal, but not in commericial vehicles. Minnesota also updated theirs to be legal, so long as they are not mounted onto the windshield or hanging visibly.

00galantguy
09-17-2009, 04:36 PM
the only state I was aware I wasnt supposed to have mine was Ohio because ive driven through there a couple times lol

SPD_FRK
09-17-2009, 05:17 PM
the only state I was aware I wasnt supposed to have mine was Ohio because ive driven through there a couple times lol
Yea, Ohio and Indiana are nazis with tint and loud pipes. Back in my Grand Prix days I rode out with a few buddys in our GTPs and we all got pulled over (4 of us) for too dark of tint and loud exhaust.

keith6110
09-17-2009, 05:50 PM
thats dumb! anyways i would check your state law for the exhaust, google it or something. throw a plate in the front window or front bumber and buy a silencer, have the court sign off on it and then leave your plate up and take that silencer out. He pulled ya over for the plate not the exhaust.

bsilver23
09-17-2009, 06:13 PM
yeah i have a very good feeling that he pulled me over because of the plate and then also mentioned the exhaust

blue8g
09-17-2009, 10:07 PM
psssh wi is the home of harley davidson we don't care about no stinking exhaust haha plus all the rednecks in their f150/silverados/rams

Fishboy55
09-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Just be lucky you weren't in VA. They can pull you over for the LOOK of your exhaust if it isn't stock. The car doesn't even have to be running. I hate Virginia motor vehicle laws.

SPD_FRK
09-18-2009, 09:10 AM
psssh wi is the home of harley davidson we don't care about no stinking exhaust haha plus all the rednecks in their f150/silverados/rams
LOL...check out what Harley has done with their new bikes starting with the full 07 line up...every one of them has an EPA stamp on the pipes, AND the frame...they won't publicly take a side on loud exhaust, but they certainly are making it easily enforceable.

00galantguy
09-18-2009, 05:58 PM
yeah i have a very good feeling that he pulled me over because of the plate and then also mentioned the exhaust

I have been hassled for just exhaust by state patrol and my buddy for the same by waukesha sheriff. Mine wasnt even that loud you can ask any of the members that know my car.

bsilver23
09-18-2009, 10:05 PM
yeah man its gay, the state patrol guy even said that it isnt really very loud compared to other ones he pulls over

blue8g
09-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I have been hassled for just exhaust by state patrol and my buddy for the same by waukesha sheriff. Mine wasnt even that loud you can ask any of the members that know my car.

dude your G is loud as fack and so is scott's dsm haha