PDA

View Full Version : need help on turboing my car

06galant06
09-19-2009, 07:44 PM
i have a 2006 galant es...2.4 sohc...i found a sohc turbo and was wondering how much horsepower would my stock motor be able to hold? i wanted to run about 8 to 10 lbs of boost...since this will be my daily driver...just wanted to give my motor some kick to it...any help would be greatly appreciated...

bronxbombr
09-19-2009, 10:31 PM
WoW

sponcar
09-20-2009, 03:17 PM
^ U guys share the same plataform as the eclipse 4g so maybe u can find more info about perfomance and suspension at this site http://club4g.org/
GOOD LUCK....
and post some pics of ure 9G and project...!!

Rayth
09-22-2009, 12:52 AM
definitely check out what the 4g eclipse guys are doing since pretty much everything will be the same for your engine.. i have a Ralliart so i'm not really sure whats out there for the i4

Johnathansgalant
09-22-2009, 06:46 PM
what do u mean u found a sohc turbo??? Your motor should hold 8 to 10 as long as everything is going right in the tune and you buy the needed parts.. Look in the forced induction section of both our site and the 4g site and you should be able to see what is needed..

dusthead
12-12-2009, 04:00 PM
agreed with john.

that engine will do 10lbs all day long. one of the most important things about engines with turbos is the maintenance. just regular maintenance is so important on engines, especially when you're pushing them to perform. here's what i can think of:

- look in to the best oil to use, maybe there's a lubrication expert on this forum
- get an oil cooler and a transmission fluid cooler. they're basically intercoolers but they're air to liquid. there are adapters that relocate the oil filter which allow you to run the line through the cooler then to the filter.
- silicone is preferred for piping connections from the turbo to intercooler to intake, with some T-clamps because easy-on easy-off will be important to you.
- you may have to go to an eclipse harness and/or ecu...if thats possible it's the cheapest method for that part of it, if not then a stand-alone ECU which will cost a nice chunk of change.
- then tuning as mentioned above...there's shops that will take $350 and your car for the day and tune it pretty good. if you're looking for multiple maps for different driving situations/conditions then, of course, multiple $350 shots may be needed.
- you can drastically shorten your intake piping by using a liquid to air intercooler...can possibly be more expensive and tricky installation but higher HP available.
- and check the differences between the transmissions in the turbo eclipses and yours since you'll be putting much more duty on it than before...may NEED or WANT to swap.

blah...thats pretty good for now. lol it should get you on your way. another thing is that in my opinion a turbo is the way to go in order to get well rounded performance...but you said you wanted to give your motor some "kick". if you meant acceleration then a supercharger is what you want...this turbo will give you higher torque than a supercharger and better gains at higher RPMs so you can go faster at a roll....but it won't drastically improve your speed from a stop.

Stewi
12-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I agree with everything dust head just said except Liquid to Air intercoolers for a daily driven car is not a great idea. Efficiency wise, a liquid to air intercooler cools the intake air the same way a radiator cools the engine. It circulates water around the intake air before it goes into the throttle body, the problem with this heat soak. Heat soak refers to the intercooler itself heating up due to the amount of heat generated under the hood. Liquid to air intercoolers are great for drag cars because you can fill the reservoir with ice and circulate 45 degree temperature water around the air and it DRASTICALLY lowers the temps allowing you to make tons of HP. With that being said, on a street car, your not gonna be filling the reservoir with icewater every 15 minutes like you do with a drag car, so its not that beneficial. The only time I would recommend using a liquid to air setup is if there is no possible way to incorporate a front mount intercooler into your setup, but most likely, you can do a front mount, which is cheaper, requires little to no maintenance, and works great for what your doing.

dusthead
12-13-2009, 11:02 PM
there's a guy on supramania.com (I.J.) that has used multiple L2A setups and A2A...put sensors on both sides of the intercoolers...Exhaust Gas Temp...etc etc etc. my words came from reading his experience and figures....he found very slight difference between the two types when used as a DD.

reading the....10 page thread debate on L2A vs A2A...haha was not fun but a lot of information was passed back and forth on the subject. in the end they just said - ok we've beaten the dead horse enough...the info for deciding is in this thread...have fun.

also got my future L2A intercooler from that thread...

Link: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97354

Stewi
12-14-2009, 03:47 PM
there's a guy on supramania.com (I.J.) that has used multiple L2A setups and A2A...put sensors on both sides of the intercoolers...Exhaust Gas Temp...etc etc etc. my words came from reading his experience and figures....he found very slight difference between the two types when used as a DD.

reading the....10 page thread debate on L2A vs A2A...haha was not fun but a lot of information was passed back and forth on the subject. in the end they just said - ok we've beaten the dead horse enough...the info for deciding is in this thread...have fun.

also got my future L2A intercooler from that thread...

Link: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97354

after reading that thread, one thing you must consider is the amount of space and cost. In order for him to achieve results similar to an air to air intercooler he needed to run a fairly large heat exchanger for the liquid to air unit. If you dont have enough space for an FMIC, where are you gonna put a L2A and a heat exchanger large enough to handle it. It also varies on boost levels as well. My knowledge of them is typically from high boost setups in which heat soak is much more apparent, even with a larger heat exchanger.