PDA

View Full Version : B+ Wire on Alternator

n3oAcid24
09-21-2009, 10:49 PM
OK guys, finally a problem that I cannot solve on my own car came up. Last week my car was acting funny so i started to get concerned and it finally happen. My car wouldnt turn on. So I though all I needed was a jump or something but when I went to jump it, it turned on but only stood on for a few seconds. Finally today I got into the engine bay and took off the alternator to test it out and make sure it was working good. When I got to the B+ wire, it was all corroded and some of the wire was cut off. How that happen. I am not sure but the point is now i have to fix my baby. Is the B+ wire part of the engine harness or can I just pick up another 1 from a dealer? I was trying to locate the entire wire but I am out at college and took my alternator off in between classes. LOL!!!!! Anyways, any help will be great. Thanks.

qnz
09-22-2009, 12:04 AM
if you had the time, you could pull out the entire engine harness and remove the wire to the alternator and run a new 4 gauge wire in its place. The problem is the alternator wire is taped and wireloomed into the rest of the harness.

There is nothing wrong with running a seperate power wire to the alternator and leaving the stock one in place tho. Just make sure the power wire is protected by some wireloom and ziptied securely.

I ran a seperate power wire once and didnt protect it. the movement of the car + heat in the bay rubbed a hole in the wire after 1 week and blew the fusible link to the alternator

rr2swift
09-22-2009, 01:14 AM
i would just splice another one to it and your all done, just get you another wire the same gauge and splice them together with a good connector and make sure both connectors are crimped really good. get you some shrink tube and put it on both ends to keep it water tight.

n3oAcid24
09-22-2009, 04:24 AM
thanks for the information qnz. i just looked up a engine harness and its going for like $414. i am not going to buy that some just the B+ wire. im going to splice into the wire or something. ill see what i can do. thanks again.