PDA

View Full Version : Parts poll please?

rr2swift
09-22-2009, 01:21 AM
do you guys think i can get a good deal on RRE shot tubes, AEM F/C & harness and a pro flow Throttle body. I'm guessing around $1540. I'd like to spend less so i can get slotted rotors all around. tell me what you think. as alway your opinions mean a great deal. Thanks.

Rayth
09-22-2009, 09:12 PM
headers are around $600 right?

rr2swift
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
yea from RRE the AEM F/C around $350 and just talk to Brian J and he said if I'm going to do the tunning my self i would need a AEM VEGO to read temp and gases, and i think that is another $280, and the wiring harness he will make for $250, For a grand total of, $1580 wow all that for another 50 to 60 hp's is it worth it?

Rayth
09-24-2009, 08:12 PM
of course its worth it! lol as long as you plan on keeping this car for a while... if youre gonna get a new car next year or something, save you money for a downpayment

qnz
09-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Is your car turbo? Why do you need the aem fic for?

krazienluv10
09-25-2009, 01:17 AM
yep, go for it....

rr2swift
09-25-2009, 01:07 PM
aem F/c is to tune the car, with a good exhaust a good intake, you go change some of the thing that are holding back the performance upgrades, you can pull another 30-40-50 hp just with those mods, if you want more hp the next step is injectors. and soon the ecu will be cracked and the aem F/c and vego will be part of opening up the gov and top speed limter. but if you don't have the headers connecting exhaust and a true cold air you wont need the aem F/c but I'm planning to go as fare as i can in naturally aspirated form. look at the mivec basically the only major diff between my 3.8 and the mivec is the flow in the heads and the ecu but with the mods i have and the ability with aem unit to open up some parameters i will have more power, and after i get my heads done and injectors man I'm talken 300 true whp. then i will need new axles lol.

qnz
09-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I dont know about 9Gs but I do know the FIC and the FIC is just a Piggyback computer. Most pro tuners will say go standalone or flash the stock ecu or dont do anything at all.

Here is this months Import Tuner power pages where they tested a Eclipse GT

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpages/impp_0911_2009_mitsubishi_eclipse_gt/index.html

they were able to get 290 hp out of the car without the need of a piggyback. Granted they had to let the car cool down between dyno runs to get the max hp

Rayth
09-26-2009, 07:14 PM
i think the FIC is to help compensate for the detuning that the ECU does to try and get it back to stock whenever you install a part... and as far as i know, an ECU flash is just now being worked on for the 4G and might be a little while before they get around to the galant ECU

qnz
09-26-2009, 08:16 PM
I agree you need to add some sort of engine management when adding performance parts but a piggyback isn't the answer. What do you think the stock ecu is gonna do after the piggyback does it's corrections? The stock ecu will do it's corrections again.

rr2swift
09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
i didnt think it would.

qnz
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
a piggyback sits in between the engine and the ecu. It "tricks" the ECU by changing the values it sees. The piggyback will add/subtract fuel/timing for more optimal performance of the car, but after some time, the ecu will see that it is not within the stock parameters anymore and will do its own adding/subtracting of fuel/timing. Then you would need to adjust your piggyback again because of this and the ECU will do its own corrections again after time.

That is why it is reccomended to either flash the stock ECU or to use a standalone to completely remove the stock ECU out of the equation