PDA

View Full Version : continental tires

Sowndwayv
02-20-2003, 10:42 PM
im lookin at the Continental ContiExtremeContact in 225/40/18. anybody have any experience with these tires, or the brand in general? or have read any reviews?

balln8g
02-25-2003, 03:56 PM
Continental is a "cheaper" brand of tires. You're probably better off going with a set of Kuhmo tires, they're about in the same price range, just a little bit better in quality.

Auto-9
02-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Oddly enough, they're OEM on many Mercedes Benz vehicles.

BGR
02-25-2003, 06:19 PM
I've used Continental tires several times over the years on my older car. The treadwear didn't last very long but that could have been the tires that I had. I'm not familiar with the 225/40-18's. Mine were 195/50-15's. I had to get new tires ever 14 months or so. I wasn't really rotating them that often but I did rotate them. In 14 months I probably drove about 16K to 18K miles. Most good tires should last you at least 30K to 40K.

Just a piece of advice... It would be better to spend $20 more per tire if they last 6 months to 1 1/2 years longer than a cheaper brand. Also, pay for the tire replacement guarantee, you'll never know when you hit a curb and take a chunk out of your tire.

Sowndwayv
02-25-2003, 08:59 PM
I was lookin at the specs, and the treadwire on that model says 400..and compared to other tires, thats pretty damn high, but im not sure if all ratings are acheive through the same testing. Also, i read a few reviews saying they wre pretty good, and that they are a pretty big hit in europe, and are used on many cars over there, as someone mentioned mercedez, i have a lil while before i have to purchases these tires, so hopefully i will come across more info and reviews.

wheelsboutique
02-26-2003, 09:50 PM
conti tires anr one of the best in competition ..and they do come on porsche and mercedes and bmw factory wheels for a reason..yes they do wear out pretty fast..but hey you cant have everything in this world..or can you!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Sowndwayv
02-26-2003, 10:13 PM
aw that sucks..so despite the 400 tread wear rating they are prolly gonna wear out pretty quickly? looks like its back to sumitomos or pirellis if thast the case :?