PDA

View Full Version : rounded another bolt because my car sucks

brad995
10-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Well every bolt on my car is pretty much rusted and pb blaster is my best friend. Well I went to change my oil today and the drain plug bolt was of course rusted so I sprayed pb blaster and waited 10mins and then tried to loosen it and it rounded. It was pretty much rusted out to begin with.

I don't know how I'm going to get this off now. What is a good tool to remove rounded bolts? I have exhaust bolts that are rounded also that I need to get off and replace.

Is there any website that sells oem (or even stuff that is identical to oem but not) bolts for our cars so I don't need to call up Mitsubishi? The local autoparts stores are no help finding bolts, I went to advanced autoparts and pep boys and they both couldn't help me when I was looking for exhaust hanger bolts (and still am btw).

4g63lover
10-04-2009, 11:53 AM
have you tried using vise grips? rounding the oil drain plug is pretty brutal man. But it is easy to remove.

your best bet is probably to either match the old one to something in your parts store or just go to the dealer.

Poison457
10-04-2009, 11:55 AM
well for exhaust bolts i'd suggest going to an muffler shop, for the rest better hit up home depot or lowes some like a nut or bolt from the stealership will cost way to much, as for getting your oil pan bolt out gonna have to drill it out with some reverse taping bits, if your hardware is as bad as you say, i'd suggest you invest in a good tap and die set, either hand or for a drill if you go drill invest in a good high torque low speed drill.

edit

have you tried using vise grips? rounding the oil drain plug is pretty brutal man. But it is easy to remove.

your best bet is probably to either match the old one to something in your parts store or just go to the dealer.
or some realy narly vice grips work wonder's to

DOHCstunr
10-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Irwin makes a nice set of tools to remove rounded bolts.

But a quality set of vicegrips will do the job.

My suggestion,
get the old plug out, get a new drain plug and make sure you don't overtorque the ever loving shit out of the plug next time.
Also, make sure you use 6 point sockets.
If you have 12 point sockets, either throw them away, or save them for when you are working on 12 point bolt heads.
Don't use a open end wrench on the drainplug. and if you use the box end, make sure your wrench is a of a high quality brand/line.

Once I bought a set of quality tools, and used the proper tool for every occasion, I've never rounded another bolt.

Poison457
10-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Once I bought a set of quality tools, and used the proper tool for every occasion, I've never rounded another bolt.

+1 DOHCstunr
the right tool for the right job, treat your tools like your women take care of them and they'll take care of you, spend 5 bucks on a rachet and in a few weeks spend another 5 bucks spend 40 bucks on a rachet and pass it down to your kids :P

Stewi
10-10-2009, 09:05 PM
+1 DOHCstunr
the right tool for the right job, treat your tools like your women take care of them and they'll take care of you, spend 5 bucks on a rachet and in a few weeks spend another 5 bucks spend 40 bucks on a rachet and pass it down to your kids :P

+100

We did a little test over at my house.....

4 different combination wrenchs. 1 end open, 1 end box'd.

1. Craftsman

2. Husky

3. Matco

4. Snap-On

Test was doen on a 12mm head brand new bolt. The open end of the wrench of each brand fit pretty well, snap-on and matco fit the best of course, craftsman in 3rd place and Husky last.

Next was on to the box end..... the Matco wrench and the Snap-on were the ONLY ones that actually fit right, the others all had some play in them, again craftsman with a little less play than the husky. Bottom line when it comes to tools, typically snap-on and matco are a sheit load of money for good reason, they are amazing quality.

back to the original issue.... might I suggest driving the car around for about an hour to get the oil nice and hot, which will cause the drain plug and pan to get hot as well, this will aid in breaking that stripped bolt free. get a good pair of vice grips on there as tight as you can and just muscle it off. any autoparts store will have a drain plug, bring whats left of the old one in to try and match it up.