PDA

View Full Version : What is the lowest I can lower my car with lowering springs....

jonguyen11
10-05-2009, 10:44 PM
...keeping the stock shocks/struts. And what brand would your recommend?

showtime
10-05-2009, 10:50 PM
stock shocks/struts will last a few months with any lowering springs...they cant support that. You could get KYB GR2's and lowering springs like tein eibach megan H&R.

stvn_mj
10-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Search there have been many discussions about springs plus you will realize you will should upgrade your shocks/struts.

beam514
10-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I believe the Progress Springs will give you the lowest drop. I have them on my car right now, but I wish it could go even lower. If you use Progress Springs + stock struts/shocks then you will be pretty low. If you use Progress Springs + KYB AGX (like me) you will still be pretty low, but I'm not quite satisfied with how it is right now.

Oh and supposedly Progress Springs drop you 2.2" up front and 2.0 or 1.8 in the rear or something like that

Reelax
10-06-2009, 12:32 AM
if you want to keep your stock shocks then you should only lower up to 1.5". even then your stock shocks will blow anywhere from a few weeks to a few years down the line.

here are some springs that will give a mild drop under 1.5":

Eibach Pro-Kit
Lowers Vehicle Front: -1.2 in - Rear: -1.0 in

to clarify, KYB GR2's are NOT made for lowered vehicles (they are merely stock replacements) and KYB AGX's warranty is voided if you lower past 1.5"; although since AGX's are adjustable, they can be set firmer to better compensate for the higher spring rates of deep dropping lowering springs.

if you want to lower past 2.0" then you might as well just go to full coilovers (not just sleeved adjustable springs which are not reccommended unless you get short body shocks) since they include short body dampers that are made for lowering and will still offer full travel (will not bottom out where a stock length shock would).

if you want to lower past 3.5" then your best option is air bags.

RedGalant2k1
10-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Zero lowering if you are on stock struts/shocks. Any amount of lowering and you are outside their normal operating range. If you REALLY want to lower the car and only use springs, use Eibachs or Tein H-techs. They are by far the best quality spring, and the least amount of lowering for any kit on the market.

But you should really considering doing it right the first time and just buy coilovers and get the best setup right off the bat. The Megan Coilovers (like many here have) shouldn't cost more than $1000 installed. And in many cases you can find them for MUCH cheaper, and they are an easy install. The biggest pain is the ride height adjustments, but when you get them right, they are MUCH better than just springs will EVER be.

blue8g
10-06-2009, 09:58 PM
^i agree every day i wish i had gotten c/o's instead of my tein/gr2 combo which are great but i need moar low and better handling for what i want out of the g

E_Emerson88
10-07-2009, 04:04 AM
thanx for the info guys =]