PDA

View Full Version : Do the drilled /slotted rotors make you stop better?

glinx1
02-21-2003, 04:24 PM
I was getting tired of the 8.0 quakes in my car due to my warped rotors, so I purchased the Berembo rotors and had them put on along with some new pads. The thing is whenever I come to a fast stop, it seems like it takes longer to come to a stop then it did on my stock rotors. I called the shop I bought them from and they told me that I need to put about 200 miles on them to break them in. Well, I've got about 400 miles on them now and still taking to long to stop. Last night, on the hiway, a car in front of me came to a fast stop. I hit my brakes and almost ran into him. Now I know with my stock rotors I wouldn't have come that close(if my brakes wouldn't have locked up on me by then). I had pushed the brakes hard and it wasn't stoppoing as hard as I was pushing. Even though I can say they aren't locking up anymore. Now during normal driving and braking, they work fine. But at fast slowdowns or stops, it just doesn't seem normal. So, should I be able to stop at shorter /same distances with these rotors or longer distances?

mochanges
02-21-2003, 06:00 PM
For advantages and disadvantages of certain designs, see here:
http://clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8960 ('http://clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8960')

Did you follow the correct break in procedure? It sounds like your bads and/or rotors may not have broken in properly or are glazed over. That is my guess. You can fix this by, I think, roughing up the surfaces on both the pads and rotors and then breaking them in properly.

-Mohammad

Ed
02-21-2003, 07:14 PM
the rotors may have a glaze of oil from the manufactor, so what you need to do is sand or roughen up the surface of the rotor to take the galze off...hope this helps you out....

TJC
02-22-2003, 02:08 AM
There are a lot of misconceptions about rotors. Cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors give your brakes better cooling and also helps scrape the burned material from the brake pad away making it less susceptable to brake fade. What you loose with cross-drilling and/or slots is surface contact (more so with cross-drilling) and that is b/c there is less surface on the rotor itself. So with that said, yes you could be having a harder time stopping.

Now if you also upgraded your calipers or brake pad or even your tires to higher performance replacements, it will definitely help with stopping distances.

BlueESV6
02-26-2003, 08:33 PM
My crossdrilled "grab" very hard and stop much, much better than stock!

break-in may be the problem or the pads... what did you do to break them in and what kind of pads did you get? Reason why is I think specific rotor manufacturers recommend specific pad combinations for best results.