PDA

View Full Version : Problems locating replacement exhaust parts

creativ73
10-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I have a Made in the USA 2000 Mitsubishi Galant V6. I need to replace the main catalytic converter flex pipe and the long mid-pipe after that. I'm having a ton of trouble trying to find aftermarket replacements. I ordered parts from Autopartswarehouse and they sent pipes that looked similar to my OEM stuff except that the oxygen sensor ports on both pipes were at the complete wrong spots. Then, I tried to order thru the local parts store, and the same thing happened. Their computer shows that it's the right part, even though the oxygen sensor port position are obviously wrong. Then, I also checked with the dealer who I assume can get me the correct part, but they said the cat converter flex pipe was a little over $1000!!. I didn't even ask about the mid-pipe after i heard that cost.

Why do these aftermarket places have the wrong exhaust listed for my car? Anyone have similar issues or have suggestions on what I can do besides buying from the dealer?

I'm at a loss as to how to get aftermarket exhaust that will be a direct fit replacement for my car? :101::frown:

Poison457
10-10-2009, 08:44 PM
you best bet, find the most hole in the wall mom and pop muffler shop you can, and have them make pipes for ya :P, when i bought my 00 eclipse new in 00 no one had anything for it, i took it to a franchise merlin muffler and the guys there fabricated an entire new 3" system for me with a high flow cat welded o2 bungs for me and everything, will cost a couple hundred bucks but 100% fit

Fishboy55
10-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Part of the problem is there were two versions of the 2000 V6; the california emissions package and the non-california emissions package. I had similar problems when I installed my headers. I live on the east coast and still wound up with a california package when I bought the car brand new.

Poison is on track. Find a reputable muffler shop that can bend pipe and have them make you a setup. Flex pipes are fairly universal and can be welded on any piece of pipe. As far as the cat goes, you can get an aftermarket high-flow cat on ebay for far less than you're going to pay anywhere else. If you're insistent on getting oem replacement exhaust parts, determine which V6 you have and have the shop order using the correct model.

creativ73
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm guessing I do have the california emissions package, then. I will check with a couple of muffler shops and see what they can do. For the cat, it's better to get one off Ebay, than from the shop? If so, is there anything specific on the type of cat I would need?

Thanks a ton for the help!

Fishboy55
10-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Nothing specific on the cat except that it needs a 2.25 inch inlet and outlet in the center, not offset.

creativ73
10-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Well, I tried a couple of exhaust places that do custom work and they said my best bet was to just buy the parts from the dealer. I didn't ask for clarification, but I'm assuming they would be able to make a new flex pipe, but it's just cheaper to go through the dealer... I went to NAPA today and they showed the same (wrong )flex pipe for my vehicle that the other places did, which has the oxygen way up at the front of it. Mine is located at the back, just in front of the cat.

Really wish I could figure out how to find the right aftermarket part... Am I out of luck?

pinoyesv6
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
have u looked for parts under a 2000 eclipse?

creativ73
10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
have u looked for parts under a 2000 eclipse? Just tried that after reading your suggestion, but the same parts came up.

03-Galant-ES
10-12-2009, 09:48 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=36033&highlight=plan+exhaust

check that out it also has link to my thread showing the pieces of eclipse and galant exhaust and how they co exist

creativ73
10-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

After looking at my exhaust more closely, it's really in pretty decent shape, except for the flex pipe section that is leaking. I think I'm going to try and find a shop that can just weld a new section of flex pipe on, and then be done with it. Shouldn't cost more than $200-300, I would guess.

I thought about going that route before, but then I figured based what I saw online, I could replace the entire exhaust "myself" for around $500. Silly me thinking those parts would fit my vehicle.:orangeconfusedw: