PDA

View Full Version : Trannsmitton problem? maybe?

Galant Evolution
10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
good morning everyone! I was wondering if any of you may have experienced this before or have delt with this problem. I have a 99 galant 2.4 SOHC with nothing done for mods except a short ram air intake and an aftermarket exhaust..not cat back, just the muffler. I havnt really noticed until latly, but for some time now i know its been going on. Latly when im on the highway in overdrive at 70mph, anywhere inbetween 2-3k RPM if i let off the gas slow the car will shift back and forth quickly like a jolt. If you were to look at my RPM gauge when you let off the gas slowly you would see it slowly decreese from 3, to around 3,700 then quickly shoot back up to 3,100 around there then decreese again. Im pretty sure that its suppose to be smooth when you let off the throttle? I do know the transmittion went at around 50k from defect covered under warranty but it has 93k currently. Another way to describe it is the feeling of a clutch when it shifts hard...but its not happeneing at shift only when let off the gas between 3k and 2k, also tested individual gears it does the same in L, 2, 3, D , havnt tested reverse. Is it a tranny prob or is it just because its grabbing and letting go of the clutch at those RPMs? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks TGC
-Tony

blowngalant95
10-14-2009, 08:23 AM
I've had numerous problems with the Galant transmissions.....check the fluid level and check to see if it smells burnt.....it could also be a problem with the filter....it could be alot of things....best thing to do is to take it to a trans shop and have them look at it. It should be smooth and it shouldn't die down like that.....also try putting your factory air box back on and see if it does it still....

Galant Evolution
10-14-2009, 08:47 AM
^^ I dont think its the filter i will try...it is quite weird. I know my cat is going, smells like rotten eggs when you get on it, maybe it could be clogged? you can hear the engine studder when it happens but it wont throw a code.

Galant Evolution
10-15-2009, 10:57 AM
any ideas anyone?

littlerick
10-15-2009, 12:10 PM
sounds like a catalytic converter to me (the rotten egg smell and the loss of power)

Galant Evolution
10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking is it possible its like clogged up? i mean the tranny only has around 50k on it since it was replaced... if it turns out to be the cat...is my 02 sensor directly on the cat? or is it on the pipe before? i cant find cats with the sensor port on it :-/

littlerick
10-15-2009, 02:56 PM
if i'm not mistaken, you have a sensor before and after the cat. and yes i would think its clogged up

rr2swift
10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
shift solenoid if that is the issue, but i would throw some see-foam Tranny cleaner in it then change the fluid and see if that helps. just thought about it have you checked to see if MM's are good. pop your hood put one foot on the brake put the other on the gas put it gear and have someone look at the motor to see if it is lurching or moving crazy.

deeznutz
10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
here's one way to tell if your cat's clogged let your car run for a while better if done at night and look at the cat if its clogged it will over heat the cat and glow orange

Galant Evolution
10-16-2009, 08:09 AM
shift solenoid if that is the issue, but i would throw some see-foam Tranny cleaner in it then change the fluid and see if that helps. just thought about it have you checked to see if MM's are good. pop your hood put one foot on the brake put the other on the gas put it gear and have someone look at the motor to see if it is lurching or moving crazy.

i do have a broken passenger side motor mount im going to replace.. when i remote start my car the engine moves alot on startup back and forth also...but would this be what im feeling when i let off the gas? now that im thinking about it, it cant be a motor mount because when i ease off the gas the actual RPMs decreese normally, but then slightly increase, then decrease normally again this all happens very fast, within a snap of your fingers, while im easing off the gas...i have the recommended amount of fluid..i never changed it or have done a flush..but it doesnt smell burt.

troubled4g64t
11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
my wifes car has a similar bucking but her prob is the mdp sensor and hers is a I4 I don't know about yours but when hers does it if i rev its fine the only reason i know what her prob is is sometimes her cel comes on and other times not.

Galant Evolution
11-24-2009, 08:26 AM
my wifes car has a similar bucking but her prob is the mdp sensor and hers is a I4 I don't know about yours but when hers does it if i rev its fine the only reason i know what her prob is is sometimes her cel comes on and other times not.

Yeah there are no codes at all., i was thinking it might be my tourque converter, Im going to try a drain and fill and see what happens and ill just go from there!

UPDATE: Drain and fill seemed to have fixed the problem.