PDA

View Full Version : 6G72 swap question...

bitco23
10-15-2009, 04:04 PM
I have a 99 Galant and i wanted to swap engines and i was wondering if anyone has done this swap and would this fit in a 8gen?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Mitsubishi-6G72-Twin-Turbo-GTO-Stealth-TT-engine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ceb82908cQQitem Z330368716940QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories

blue8g
10-15-2009, 04:17 PM
no...........

beam514
10-15-2009, 04:21 PM
No one has done this swap before, but for good reason: the engine is orientated in the wrong direction. Basically the transmission would be on the passenger's side, whereas in the 8G the transmission is on the driver's side

bitco23
10-15-2009, 04:31 PM
oh tru thanks ....know of any badass swaps i could do lol? i have some money to spend..perhaps a 4G63?

blue8g
10-15-2009, 04:31 PM
if anything 6g74........to do a 4g63 you'd need to swap out the front subframe iirc

Galant306m
10-15-2009, 06:55 PM
you could be the first one to try and attempt swapping those heads on the sohc 6g72.

Galantfan88
10-15-2009, 07:47 PM
That would be sweet if everything wasnt so diff for the TT motors

Galant306m
10-15-2009, 07:53 PM
That would be sweet if everything wasnt so diff for the TT motors

you could just swap the heads, rear head goes on the front and the front head goes on the rear, use the crank sprocket from the dohc motor with the dohc tbelt and all the supporting stuff from the dohc top. I could see it working.

Galantfan88
10-15-2009, 08:02 PM
you could just swap the heads, rear head goes on the front and the front head goes on the rear, use the crank sprocket from the dohc motor with the dohc tbelt and all the supporting stuff from the dohc top. I could see it working.

Yeah I didnt really think about swapping the heads, but also what about tranny thats on the other side....I mean yes this can deff work just alot of time and money. I wanted to do this with the 3000 gto motor but their would have to be alot of work done to make that happen.

Galant306m
10-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah I didnt really think about swapping the heads, but also what about tranny thats on the other side....I mean yes this can deff work just alot of time and money. I wanted to do this with the 3000 gto motor but their would have to be alot of work done to make that happen.

That would be to much work, the heads a cemetrical (meaning the bolt patterns and the hole patterns are the same). Just 5spd swap a 3g trans and swap the heads like i said and im damn sure it would work. Most people dont think about it, they see that the timing belt is on the opposite side so they think nothing will work from one to the other. If you think about it, if you where to head swap it with the the rear bank on the front and the front bank on the rear everything would line up, the intake sides of the heads would be in the center and the exhaust sides would be where they need to be. Just use the intake manifold from the 3kgt, with the TT setup, you would have one strong galant.

Galantfan88
10-15-2009, 08:18 PM
That would be to much work, the heads a cemetrical (meaning the bolt patterns and the hole patterns are the same). Just 5spd swap a 3g trans and swap the heads like i said and im damn sure it would work. Most people dont think about it, they see that the timing belt is on the opposite side so they think nothing will work from one to the other. If you think about it, if you where to head swap it with the the rear bank on the front and the front bank on the rear everything would line up, the intake sides of the heads would be in the center and the exhaust sides would be where they need to be. Just use the intake manifold from the 3kgt, with the TT setup, you would have one strong galant.

Heyyy maybe my next project when I get a second car, right now I just got done building my motor for my galant and just waiting for the day to put it in and the 5 speed swap

Galant306m
10-15-2009, 08:33 PM
yea if i can get a deal on a 8g galant ive been planing this one for awhile 3g gt 5spd and DOHC 6g72 tt. Id be the first one to ever to the swap too so it would be alot of work and would have to figure shit out for myself with out there being a tutorial

Narcosis
10-15-2009, 09:58 PM
I would love to see this swap. Ive actually been looking back into the 6g72TT swap for the past few days, funny this popped up, but seems like too much work. Plus I lack the experience, knowledge, and the money to pull it off. Would be great to be, or even see the 1st succesful attempt tho.

M-Rod
10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I believe I have seen discussion about this before in the 3G community. Ideally it should work, but none of them have done it yet due to firewall clearance. It's possible we have just enough room in the Galant to fit the larger heads, but nobody has had enough balls to try it yet.

SPD_FRK
10-16-2009, 03:00 PM
I looked into this myself for an engine swap, also the head swap route as well. The only problem with the head swap idea is the firing order may be the same, but when you flip those heads 180* the way the cams were designed for timing the opening/closing of the intake/exhaust it may not work at all, or cause serious other problems. You could potentially swap the cams around, but then again you are back to square one with the direction of engine rotation being differen between the 3KGT cams and the 6g72 heads in our cars.

It might work, but then again it could also be a very expensive lesson learned.

Narcosis
10-16-2009, 05:08 PM
If I luck up and hit lotto or win the mcdonalds monopoly game I'll give this a shot lol

Rach3T8G
11-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Newbie in da building wats gud i have an 2001 8G & actually this swap has been done and i was planning on doing this swap look it up on youtube if u want proof

Galantfan88
11-18-2009, 09:25 PM
No doubt that it can be done, but its not worth the amount of money cuz that will be one big ass project and shit load of money.

johnygezony
11-18-2009, 09:31 PM
no...........

your being "that guy" lol

beam514
11-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Newbie in da building wats gud i have an 2001 8G & actually this swap has been done and i was planning on doing this swap look it up on youtube if u want proof

I don't see any?

Rach3T8G
11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmKHTov-DV8[/URL] Click on this link to see but i was recently advised not to do the swap because u would need a whole new wiring harness & the ecu for the 3.5 so ur car can pass inspection

deeznutz
11-20-2009, 07:05 PM
thats a 4g74 in that g Aka Diamante

Rach3T8G
11-20-2009, 07:13 PM
thats a 4g74 in that g Aka Diamante
its a 6G74 also checc this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FxCPXtVuBk

stvn_mj
11-20-2009, 07:56 PM
^Thats a former members' galant.

Rach3T8G
11-20-2009, 08:39 PM
^Thats a former members' galant.
ReallY? WoW

blue8g
11-20-2009, 09:18 PM
yep stvn's got it........that's a 6g74........it's pretty nicely built if i remember

boostzealot.......

SPD_FRK
11-20-2009, 09:34 PM
yep stvn's got it........that's a 6g74........it's pretty nicely built if i remember

boostzealot.......
boost has a heavier build being done now though...it will be even more powerful and impressive than the 3.5 he built.

As for passing emissions and wiring harness and all that...the 3.5 is a DIRECT drop in replacement enginethat only differs in the displacement. You can run it off the stock ECU and stay with the 6g72 injectors without having to tune anything. If you use the 6g74 injectors than you will run extremely rich off the stock 6g72 ECU and then will need to tune or emission testing will be a fail.

beam514
11-20-2009, 09:49 PM
^^correct

TECHNICALLY, the engine swap is ILLEGAL, because you can swap to a newer engine *made for the same car*, but seeing as how the Diamante is NOT the same car as the Galant (obviously), and the displacement is larger, it is illegal.

However, I passed emissions solely on the fact that they couldn't even tell the difference between the two engines. They look exactly the same when you look under the hood briefly. Oh and I am untuned using 6g72 injectors

SPD_FRK
11-20-2009, 10:02 PM
^^correct

TECHNICALLY, the engine swap is ILLEGAL, because you can swap to a newer engine *made for the same car*, but seeing as how the Diamante is NOT the same car as the Galant (obviously), and the displacement is larger, it is illegal.

However, I passed emissions solely on the fact that they couldn't even tell the difference between the two engines. They look exactly the same when you look under the hood briefly. Oh and I am untuned using 6g72 injectors
You can actually get by the illegal portion due to the newer engine build dates. They are considered to be more "efficient" and most state inspection places may ask about an engine swap, if the year of the vehicle the engine was pulled out of is older than your car's manufactured date then it's a problem, if the engine is newer you are practically free and clear provided it passes the emission testing.

its not so much as the same make and model of the car, but more that it is from the same manufacturer.

beam514
11-20-2009, 10:10 PM
You can actually get by the illegal portion due to the newer engine build dates. They are considered to be more "efficient" and most state inspection places may ask about an engine swap, if the year of the vehicle the engine was pulled out of is older than your car's manufactured date then it's a problem, if the engine is newer you are practically free and clear provided it passes the emission testing.

its not so much as the same make and model of the car, but more that it is from the same manufacturer.

hmm I guess there is some flexibility with the law. I wasn't going to go blatantly saying I did an engine swap though :) I'm wondering is California laws are more specific about it though?

For example, would swapping in an STI engine w/ turbo into a normal Impreza be legal?

SPD_FRK
11-20-2009, 10:22 PM
hmm I guess there is some flexibility with the law. I wasn't going to go blatantly saying I did an engine swap though :) I'm wondering is California laws are more specific about it though?

For example, would swapping in an STI engine w/ turbo into a normal Impreza be legal?
There are A LOT of loop holes in the laws, just ave to find them ;)

I would imagine California would be the same when you still consider as long as the engine is from a newer vehicle with better EPA standards than the original equipment. California is always a tricky state though, but I would bet it would still fly through an emission test with a pass, if not better test results than the original engine depending which engine is swapped in.

The 6g74 hasn't really had much update over the 72, with the exception of the fuel injectors (which we know would cause rich condition on our ECU w/o tune, and ultimately a fail on emissions). So really, running your stock 6g72 injectors and ECU, on a 6g74 would probably run lean (something auto makers have been doing to vehicles for a long time now to reduce emissions anyways).

You could easily do that type of swap, it wouldn't be any different than taking in a OEM made N/a vehicle with an aftemarket turbo installed, as long as it can pass the emission testing in the specific state. You are smart to not open up and say right away it had an engine swap. If they don't ask, don't tell. If they do ask, make sure you have whatever information they may ask for.

I know for a fact that out here we have passed numerous inspections and emission testings with some of our diesel trucks (different testing yes), but these were Ford trucks with a Dodge Cummins swapped engine hehe

blue8g
11-20-2009, 11:39 PM
boost is doin more stuff? where'd you find this? i just pm'd him on evom........and i found TJ on evom too lol he's got neon green wheels ............they're dope

johnygezony
11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
neon green....

SPD_FRK
11-21-2009, 11:33 AM
boost is doin more stuff? where'd you find this? i just pm'd him on evom........and i found TJ on evom too lol he's got neon green wheels ............they're dope
Yea he is doing more stuff...I have connections lol.

Tj....pfft