PDA

View Full Version : Snapping Sound.

hpa350n
10-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi guys/gals,

I've been lurking around TGC for a while and this is my first post. I hope I didn't post in the wrong section.

I have a 99 Galant ES 4 cylinder. I have a strange noise coming from the front of the car. Right when the car starts to move from a stop, I can hear a snap/pop sound...it only happens once. Also right when the car is about to come to a complete stop I hear that snap sound again...only once. I can really hear it when the windows are rolled down.

It doesn't matter if I accelerate/brake hard or gently. I always hear that noise.

I'd like to catch that noise like this guy catches chicken.:117:

Thanks.

Frankv
10-16-2009, 10:39 PM
welcome to tgc. i have the same problem, but i pay no mind to it. sorry i cant help but many others can. where in cali are you from?

G-spot
10-16-2009, 11:43 PM
i have the same problem, but i pay no mind to it.

Pay no mind to it? You would care a lot if this snapping sound would happen to be a worn down CV half shaft. Once it snaps, no more accel and the car goes kaput. Is it still worth to pay no mind to it???????

BTW half shafts are inexpensive ($45-80) but it's an important part of your suspension setup...better get it fix before its deadline

hpa350n
10-17-2009, 12:54 AM
@ G-spot: Thank you for the awesomely quick and detailed response! I appreciate it. I will check out my CV half shafts.

@Frankv: I'm in Los Angeles, California (Korea town).

Frankv
10-17-2009, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=G-spot;541942]Pay no mind to it? You would care a lot if this snapping sound would happen to be a worn down CV half shaft. Once it snaps, no more accel and the car goes kaput. Is it still worth to pay no mind to it???????

You are 110% correct g spot. Never thought of it as being a worn down cv half shaft. Thanks man! I will have to get on this before the car goes "kaput".

qnz
10-17-2009, 01:50 PM
g-spots answer sounds most reasonable