PDA

View Full Version : pulling the crank pulley off help!!!!!!!

shadowzzr
10-19-2009, 05:59 PM
hey guy i have my v6 an iam try to fine away to get the crank off looking in the haynes book and they show me a crank pulley that have holes in it but my's dont have holes so how will i go by get the crank pulley off so i can change my timing belt

beam514
10-19-2009, 06:01 PM
either get a really strong impact wrench to get the nut off, or take a breaker bar and wedge it, and then flick the starter so that it breaks the nut loose. I don't know about the second method as the only time I changed a timing belt, the engine was out of the car and we had an impact wrench do the job

SPD_FRK
10-19-2009, 06:36 PM
If it was anything like mine, even a 1/2" impact wasnt enough. You may need to heat it up quite a bit with a torch, then hit it with an impact gun.

shadowzzr
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
how can i keep the crank pulley from moving wall iam taking the nut off

Galantfan88
10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I got mine off with a really powerful impact gun but the one I have has like 700FT pounds of TQ. Just see if you can rent or just borrow or buy and return a really strong im pact gun.

M-Rod
10-19-2009, 11:44 PM
If you do not have access to an air impact, you can wedge a breaker bar against the ground with the socket on the crank pulley bolt. Then most importantly, DISCONNECT YOUR CRANK POSITION SENSOR so that the car doesn't actually start when you turn the key. Tap the key just enough to break the bolt loose. Then the rest can be done by hand.

galant2k0
01-06-2010, 03:03 PM
How about tightening it back up?

HungarianHunter
01-06-2010, 03:09 PM
either get a really strong impact wrench to get the nut off, or take a breaker bar and wedge it, and then flick the starter so that it breaks the nut loose. I don't know about the second method as the only time I changed a timing belt, the engine was out of the car and we had an impact wrench do the job

Second method works fine :)

Get the breaker bar, and attach it to the giant nut, as beam is saying, then wedge it in somewhere where it wont move (some suspension component should work, just be careful) and then flick over the starter so it breaks right loose. Works fine.

galant2k0
01-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Second method works fine :)

Get the breaker bar, and attach it to the giant nut, as beam is saying, then wedge it in somewhere where it wont move (some suspension component should work, just be careful) and then flick over the starter so it breaks right loose. Works fine.

Yes this method worked well for me for taking the pulley off, however putting the new one on and tightening it back up was the problem. i ended up having to wedge my "hubcap puller"/jack hook against the control arm and on one of the holes of the pulley to tighten the main bolt. awfull method, was wondering if there was and easier/better method