PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Underbody Kit to Dome Lights

HungarianHunter
10-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Alright guys, I need someone whose good with wiring for this one:

Can I tap into the two wires that run into the back of the dome light (the green/orange and red/black) one, basically tap in right at the connection to the dome light, and run it all the way down near my center console where I would wire in the positive/negative of an underbody kit? Would the kit activate/deactivate when the dome lights did?

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to have a blue underglow turn on whenever a door is opened, or I unlock my car with the FOB, and also so it flashes blue when I lock the car. Everything the dome lights do, the underbody would do.

Would this be that simple?

Thanks a lot!

02redgalant
10-22-2009, 12:42 AM
go to the junkyard get a set of pigtails then you can wire them up and disconnect at your leasure

RedLine DOHC
10-22-2009, 01:02 AM
you could but you would most likely blow fuses left and right... you would need a in line fuse for the kit but it sounds like it would work, just upgrade the fuse for the dome light by 5 amps, I have some bass sensitive lights in my 7g wired into my driver side map light.

4g63lover
10-22-2009, 01:23 AM
sounds like it could potentially be really cool.

Reelax
10-22-2009, 03:04 AM
use a SPDT relay. the dome light's positive "on" wire should just be the trigger to energize the relay's coil... the relay would draw power directly from the battery for the underglow, thus saving your stock wiring from blowing fuses or melting, etc... don't forget to add the appropriate inline fuse to the wire connected to the battery and you should be all good. as stated previously, if you wire directly to the dome lights for power (and ground), you will overload that circuit and blow fuses or melt wires.

HungarianHunter
10-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Alright, so Inline fuse I understood. Could you go into more detail about the relay?

02redgalant
10-22-2009, 09:07 AM
with a relay they won't dim like dome lights

HungarianHunter
10-22-2009, 09:09 AM
That's bad news :(

pinoyesv6
10-22-2009, 10:41 AM
a relay is like an electromagnetic switch. so with a relay, the power for the neons will be drawn from like that battery. when you open your door, you'll take the negative trigger from the dome light and connect that to the relay. when that relay is triggered, it will cause the magnet inside of the relay to turn the switch on and turn on your lights.

HungarianHunter
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Anyway someone could take the time to draw me a wiring diagram with the relay in it?

EDIT: Is redline correct in saying I could just upgrade the fuse to the dome lights?

If I DO need the relay, let me try to understand this a bit more clearly:

I run the positive of the dome lights to one part on the relay, then the positive from the battery on the other, and the underbody kit from a third, so that the thing stopping the underbody kit is the fact that there is that second point, which is stopping the battery to provide power to the kit at all times? So when the dome lights are getting power, then the power from the battery would flow through to the kit?

HungarianHunter
10-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Just found this random article:

http://www.dirtroad.com/ubl.htm

Is this what you guys are saying?

I would do the same thing they did,:

85 is ground
86 is dome light positive (green/orange?)
30 to just any constant 12v, so like I could even tap into the radio wiring harness?
87 would be the positive and negative of the kit?

HungarianHunter
11-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Haha I know this isn't the first thing I should be worried about, given my other problems I just had with the engine, but just for future reference, has anyone read this and decided whether or not that was right?

pinoyesv6
11-02-2009, 08:59 AM
EDIT: Is redline correct in saying I could just upgrade the fuse to the dome lights?

you can certainly add a bigger fuse. but i do suggest you carry a fire extinguisher in the car to put out the electrical fire you more than likely cause.

Just found this random article:

http://www.dirtroad.com/ubl.htm

Is this what you guys are saying?

I would do the same thing they did,:

85 is ground
86 is dome light positive (green/orange?)
30 to just any constant 12v, so like I could even tap into the radio wiring harness?
87 would be the positive and negative of the kit?

did you not read my post about using the dome lights negative trigger?

Haha I know this isn't the first thing I should be worried about, given my other problems I just had with the engine, but just for future reference, has anyone read this and decided whether or not that was right?

again, did you not read my post about using the dome lights negative trigger? if you use the dome light's positive, then the lights will be on 24/7 since the dome light has a constant positive.

sponcar
11-02-2009, 04:35 PM
a relay is like an electromagnetic switch. so with a relay, the power for the neons will be drawn from like that battery. when you open your door, you'll take the negative trigger from the dome light and connect that to the relay. when that relay is triggered, it will cause the magnet inside of the relay to turn the switch on and turn on your lights.

x2 easy...!!

HungarianHunter
11-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh shit sorry pinoy, I went back and read it. Ok ok, so run a positive from the battery, hook it up to the relay, and hook the negative of the dome lights to the relay as well? But could you draw me a diagram of exactly where to connect each wire on the relay? Cuz there are 4 points on one of those relays right?

pinoyesv6
11-02-2009, 09:12 PM
sorry for such a sloppy drawing...its been a while.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/8363/dome.png

pinoyesv6
11-02-2009, 09:19 PM
actually...i'd do it more like this.

also note that the positive on the dome light isn't wired directly to the battery like that but thats irrelevant to what you're doing.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8363/dome.png

HungarianHunter
11-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Nice, that's what I've been looking for, thanks a lot man. Are the squiggly's inline fuses?

HungarianHunter
11-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Lmao sorry, I sound like such a noob...

Well I ended up asking my hookup at best buy, told him my idea, said he'd wire it all up for me for free. Working at subway has its benefits, I've made a lot of connections by giving free food to people haha. I get 10% off everything in the bay, as well as free labor :P

showtime
11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
nice!!! If this works out I might do it, that is a sick idea...

sponcar
11-15-2009, 10:57 PM
I wanna see how this work on ure car.. So I can go head and do the same wiring for led under The dash and every door.. Wondering that would look good like a bimmer.!!