PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid

BEAST
02-22-2003, 05:56 PM
My tranny fluid is down from what I can see. Checked it the car warm, running, and in neutral. It is low and I was wondering if I could put some tranny fluid in it myself just some valvoline stuff or if I should get some authenic Mitsu. fluid. I think I remembered someone saying that I should use Mitsu fluid instead of the generic stuff because that will hurt the tranny. I can't take it to my tranny shop because I am only here on weekends (go to school in Lawrence during the week), so what should I do. Can I buy Mitsu fluid somewhere besides the dealership?

MidNightRacing
02-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Like a year ago I did a oil change on my car I did it in a rush and did really notice that I unscrewed the tranny pan bolt. i got some on my hand then I quickly put the screw back in. Then I put some Quaker state A/t in there, and I dont have any tranny problems. Mitsu fluids? Not for me! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif and seein how you and me have almost the exact same car ( L.S and E.S)
I dont see why It would harm your tranny.

JiP
02-22-2003, 06:52 PM
I changed my own crap I pulled the trany pan replaced the filter and filled it with whatever trany fluid I found in autozone decently priced. I never have any trany problems. 60k on the car ES model :wink:

BEAST
02-22-2003, 07:02 PM
What kind should I use? I called my transmission shop and they answered their cell phone and told me she thought Dexton 3. She said she would get back to me though when she knew for sure.

manybrews
02-22-2003, 07:44 PM
using anything but mitsu fluid is asking for trouble.

do NOT use a generic dexron 3. it WILL cause slip shifting and shuddering torque converters.

ive fixed (and spoken of that here) hundreds of trans problems just by putting the correct mitsu fluid in it.

will you damage the trans with a generic? no. but it IS different than mitsu fluid.

JiP
02-22-2003, 10:03 PM
I have a bottle of the fluid I used, Aamaco Dexron III Mercon auto trany fluid. Put it in last summer, my car drives perfect...

However Many you think using non mitsu fluid causing my shitty gas mileage? Car drivers perfect.

IllestGalant
02-22-2003, 11:39 PM
use mitsubishi fluid to avoid fluid viscosity and additive troubles

BEAST
02-23-2003, 01:51 AM
Why would my tranny be low on fluid already I just got it rebuilt like 5 months ago. I drive my car pretty damn hard, is that a resonable explination? If I take it to my transmission shop to have them change the fluid and filter, could I specify Mitsu fluid? From what I got to Illene on the phone (kind of a friend of the family) she implied that they always use the Dexron 3 for the fluid on the new trannies.

I feel that it is kind of a waste of money though to have the tranny fluid and filter changed after such a short time period though. That is probably the reason for my hard downshifts and slipping of first gear off the line. I sure hope that cures it. Is it possible to do a fluid and filter change myself. I heard that they are pretty sensitive and that if you don't really know what you're doing, it is best to leave it to the shop.

manybrews
02-23-2003, 08:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>Why would my tranny be low on fluid already I just got it rebuilt like 5 months ago. Â*I drive my car pretty damn hard, is that a resonable explination? Â*If I take it to my transmission shop to have them change the fluid and filter, could I specify Mitsu fluid? Â*From what I got to Illene on the phone (kind of a friend of the family) she implied that they always use the Dexron 3 for the fluid on the new trannies. Â*</div>
first, if its low, its leaking somewhere. Or its been drained and refilled improperly, unless they never filled it all the way when rebuilt.
second, "Illene" works in the aftermarket, where they always use whats cheapest.
trust me when i say that mitsu fluid is the ONLY way to go. Hell, mitsu distributed a TSB about this years ago because it is such a problem.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>

I feel that it is kind of a waste of money though to have the tranny fluid and filter changed after such a short time period though. Â*That is probably the reason for my hard downshifts and slipping of first gear off the line. Â*I sure hope that cures it. Â*Is it possible to do a fluid and filter change myself. Â*I heard that they are pretty sensitive and that if you don't really know what you're doing, it is best to leave it to the shop.</div>

I alway recommend leaving things to a shop if you arent familar with it.
A trans fluid and filter change can be quite messy, and if you dont remove ALL the old gasket, and dont properly torque ALL the pan bolts, you WILL end up with a leak.

BEAST
02-23-2003, 07:09 PM
So about how much is it for a tranny and fluid change? Ballpark figure. I assume it will be a little more at the dealership than at a tranny shop.

JiP
02-23-2003, 07:12 PM
How much is mitsu fluid per quart?
and
Whats in mitsu fluid that makes it so special?

Kain
02-23-2003, 07:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>So about how much is it for a tranny and fluid change? Â*Ballpark figure. Â*I assume it will be a little more at the dealership than at a tranny shop.</div>

With Mitsubishi fluid? EXPENSIVE! It ususally runs like $4-$5 a quart and it takes 12-13 quarts to do a flush and fill. You do the math. Also, the filter "kit" from the dealership (Filter, gasket, and a little O-ring that I don't really know where it goes...) is another $15. You're looking at between $60-$120 for labor having a shop do it depending on how they charge for such a service and their price per hour. I just do it myself in my driveway, but I also used to do transmission services for a living. At least Mitsubishi's are cleaner than Fords and Chevys.

JiP
02-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Ah screw mitsu ill stick with my cheaper aamaco poOp works fne for me.

manybrews
02-23-2003, 11:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kain)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>So about how much is it for a tranny and fluid change? Â*Ballpark figure. Â*I assume it will be a little more at the dealership than at a tranny shop.</div>

With Mitsubishi fluid? EXPENSIVE! It ususally runs like $4-$5 a quart and it takes 12-13 quarts to do a flush and fill. You do the math. Also, the filter "kit" from the dealership (Filter, gasket, and a little O-ring that I don't really know where it goes...) is another $15. You're looking at between $60-$120 for labor having a shop do it depending on how they charge for such a service and their price per hour. I just do it myself in my driveway, but I also used to do transmission services for a living. At least Mitsubishi's are cleaner than Fords and Chevys.</div>
actually, the 20 series only holds 6 quarts, total.. and thats with a dry torque converter.

trust me, the mitsu stuff is worth every cent. it is ENGINEERED for mitsus cars, in much the same way as ford has their own "design" of fluid.

Galant Ryder
02-27-2003, 01:29 AM
So how much is an actual Tranny flush from the mitsu dealership?? i have an oil leak and i want to get this taken care of. thanx

JiP
02-27-2003, 01:41 AM
Not to take away from Ryders question but no one has answered my question or gave their opinion:

Bad tranny fluid give bad gas mileage? I know I have way to much fluid in my trany (when checked in gear its good color but its too much fluid and sometimes bubly on the stick foamage!), nonmitsu fluid of course, and I think the gasket isnt set right but it doesnt leak. I wonder if that is causing my bad gas mileage, I think I'll get it flushed change filter and new gasket, have it done by the pro's tomorow.

Any thoughts?

BEAST
02-27-2003, 01:51 AM
You checked it in while it was in gear? If you did then you will not get an accurate reading.

JiP
02-27-2003, 02:02 AM
Was in neutral with the car running, that ok? I know nothing about trannies.

Kain
02-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Was in neutral with the car running, that ok? I know nothing about trannies.

Yup, that's how ya do it. Otherwise you'll read wrong. (the cooler and TC won't be full in Park) Of course too much fluid can hurt your gas milage. Your transmision is fighting to push all that extra fluid through, and you end up with lots of power loss and poor gas milage. As for the "foamyness" of the fluid, I wouldn't worry too much about it. That's just indicative of a bit of air in the fluid. Probably caused by leaky cooler lines. (the OEM lines kinda suck) It dosen't really hurt anything, unless it's excessive. (shouldn't look like a freshly poured beer or anything) Oh, and always check your transmission when it's "hot" I.E. after driving around for a good 30 min or so. The volume of the fluid changes a bit depending on temperature. So you want to adjust it at operating temperature.

JiP
02-27-2003, 03:59 PM
Well this is the first time my car has been in the hands of another person in a long time to change fluids or do work...$130 bucks to flush the tranny, pull the pan clean it, replace the filter and the gasket. Last time I did the gasket with a friend I guess we werent payin to much attention when we put it back on the gasket wasnt seated good at all, didnt leak but was sticking out far on one end so I made the guys replace it profesional style.

Now I have $2.50 in my pocket to take my girl out for pizza while i watch her eat lol

We'll see if the gas mileage improves ::praying::

If its $130 at a quakerstate/quicklube Id guess Mitsu would be $200 or more including fluid.