PDA

View Full Version : shaky brakeys....questions about car shaking when braking

raringvt
02-23-2003, 04:29 PM
I just returned from a skiing/snowboarding trip. I traveled over a couple of pretty large mountains there and back. I noticed when going down long, steep grades that my car would shake when braking.

I would imagine that it's from the fronts getting overheated. It's really a pretty scary feeling to be going down those steep grades and feeling like your brakes are crapping out.

Can anyone offer some insight on my shakey brake syndrome? I haven't checked for worn pads or warped rotors or anything yet...is that a REAL possibility/concern?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I have a 2001 I4 ES.

Sowndwayv
02-23-2003, 08:41 PM
actually yes..from the information i've gathered the Galants are notorious for having easily warped brake rotors, mines have been like that for some time, im waiting till i have extra money to get some aftermarket rotors

if ur interested, thers somewhat of a group buy goin on with where u can get the front, rear, or both rotors for pretty cheap

raringvt
02-23-2003, 10:59 PM
I've read about the notorious warping of rotors. I just think it'd be odd for that to be the case because it doesn't always shake when i brake (damn, I just keep busting that rhyme)...it only shakes after alot of braking like this weekend on the long downhill grade. It seems more like they're just getting hot, and not performing as well because of it.

On a flat road the brakes perform very well...in fact, I've never noticed the problem until this weekend on the mountain.

BTW...cute pic Sowndwayv :tongue:

VegasMatt
02-23-2003, 11:03 PM
You got warped rotors, scrap that stock frisbee and upgrade to something better.

balln8g
02-25-2003, 03:50 PM
You got warped rotors, scrap that stock frisbee and upgrade to something better

Yup......you can get front and back cross-drilled Brembo rotors with the Axxiss brake pads for $265.00 through the group buy. Can't beat that.

95vegasgalant
02-25-2003, 08:09 PM
:twisted: If I were you get the rotor measured if its close to disgard which means shit can that rotor and get new ones what it is is that rotor is not dissipating the heat fast enough it will not get better only worse if you have the money buy the crossdrilled/slotted rotors This is how they stop the car better the holes are there to allow the gases to escape which makes the brakes grab better also adjust the rear brakes so that you wont have to put so much on the fronts and also lube the caliper slides so that it dont stick and overheat your brakes AND THATSMY BOOK :twisted: