PDA

View Full Version : I think that my thermostat is bad..... help please.

Mitsufied
08-20-2002, 02:51 PM
Guyz,

Whenever I maintain speeds of 55mph+ for more than 5 minutes, my temp gauge starts climbing to the HOT area. My A/C has been broken for a few months now, so this happens without the A/C on. To get the temp back down to the NORMAL mark (as I am driving), I put on the HEATER to the hottest setting with the blower at MAX. This helps, but it's like a sauna in my Mitsu.

Is this my thermostat that's causing this problem? Or is it something else? If it is my thermostat, how difficult is it me to replace it? Is BOSCH a good brand to buy?

Help me please :roll:

MitsuMan
08-20-2002, 02:59 PM
Bosch is a quality brand, but im sure everyone has their own opinions, but check your coolant levels........

manybrews
08-20-2002, 05:08 PM
its probably NOT the thermostat, although its a relatively quick and cheap fix if you want to check it out.
i would NOT use anything made by bosch, 'cause a lot of it is trash. just use the factory t-stat.
but ill bet its got nothing to do with it.

first, is your cooling system full and clean? second, are your fans working? one should come on at about 200 degrees, and both should come on with the a/c (theres a little more to it than that, but its enough to get you going).

if your answer is yes to both questions, then its probably a radiator. they have been known to have a mineral buildup internally that prevents a good transfer of heat. its NOT physically plugged, and will easily flow water, but it just doesnt do what its suppost to do as far as transferring the heat energy from the coolant.

Mazarin
08-21-2002, 12:47 AM
The symptoms you're talking about is the EXACT OPPOSITE of a t-stat problem. I was going to go racing up north, but my temp would climb @ idle. Once I'd get going, the temp would go back to normal.

rfpa1
08-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Hi:

I have the same problem. Iam now waiting for a new radiator (2 came damaged in transit).
I replaced the 2 sensors,thermostat and the water pump. Flushed the engine at least 3 times,.

Now Iam waiting for the radiator.

I will inform probably in a week or so.

RF

rfpa1
08-29-2002, 07:56 AM
If you pull out the thermostat and it does not look sticky or in bad shape. Then clean it and use it. If it looks worn out then go to the mitsu dealer and get one from them. I tried 2 non oem and they made things worst.

Nick VR4
08-29-2002, 08:12 AM
u can test the thermostat put it in a kettle and let it boil see if it opens or not

95vegasgalant
09-01-2002, 02:13 AM
:twisted: To check your radiator put it in normal operating temp, feel the radiator be careful if all the cores are even temp your radiator is probably fine if theres a cold spot then you have a clogged core make sure your cores are clean from like bugs and leaves but your problem could just be air in the system when its cold fill up your radiator full 50/50 then let it run for 10 minutes because that the highest part of the cooling system and take off that little screw on the housing of the upper rad. hose post up when you solve your prob. I like to learn new things. and I forgot leave the cap off make sure your car is cold when you take off the cap off for that 10 minutes :twisted:

TJC
09-01-2002, 03:07 AM
That's funny there's this topic b/c I just had some overheating issues too. Temp was contantly fluctuating up and down but never all the way to the end. I was just low on water/coolant and when the system is not full, the water doesn't cycle properly so you don't have proper cooling. After I filled up with coolant, temp remained constant but went to the dealer to pick up a thermostat anyways.

It's a long story but the short of it is the factory radiator hose clamps are a joke and there is always a little slow leak. The lower radiator hose seems to be bad too so I need to replace that soon.

BTW, the factory t-stat is really nice. It's definitely a higher quality that what you get at the local autoparts store so when replacing, don't skimp on the $20 factory t-stat. Even if the old one looks good, it's not worth the hassle so replace it every 30k or so. And do a radiator flush every 60k or 2 years (which ever first).

rfpa1
09-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Just replace it after 5 years its better to replace it. Specialy if you do not change the colant about every 2 years. Its easier to avoid overheating problems. Just go to a mitsu dealer and get a real mitsu one. I tried the others and do not work the same. I ended up with a mitsu one.

If your car overheats, change the thermostat, the fan colant sensor and the water sensor, those are the 2 sensors on the same place where the termostat is located. the Fan sensor is about 30.00 and the water is about 10.

Also, check the radiator, if you empty it, do you get almost a gallon of coolant or way less. If is less than a galon, get ready to replace it its cloged.

I know I just did all of the above on my Black Mitsu 95, ES.

rfpa1
09-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Still having problems???