PDA

View Full Version : Rear Speaker Install Q?

DNSerrano
11-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Alright, seem like theres no info for installing speakers in the backseat, and yes I've searched. I bought new speakers since the front ones blew out and the rears are headed that way. Front ones were an easy install, now for the rears do I have to take out the backseat to get to them, and if so how would I go about doing that? Any information would help, thank you guys I appreciate it.

~David

kalvinsaid
11-17-2009, 01:44 PM
yes, you need to take off the back seats to do it. first you have to take the bottom part out. there are latches at the end of the cushions; you just give them a pull and it'll loosen up. next you needa take the upper cushion(the part your back falls on) and there are 4 bolts holding it in place. you'll see them when you get the lower cushion off. Just like the bottom cushion it'll have these 2 latches but this time on the top. lastly, there are 3 bolts at the cover that you needa take off. After you get the seats off you'll need to take off that cover separating you and the speakers. to do so you have to detach the pillar trims because it actually hooks onto those covers. just give them a yank because they're only being held by tabs. (be careful not to break the tabs). THEN you make your way to the trunk and unplug then harness and unscrew the bolts holding down the brake light assembly. (the middle one)after you unscrew it, just go back into the back seats and pull it out. after that you just yank off the cover. good luck.

DNSerrano
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Awesome that's whats up thank you so much Kalvin!!!

keith6110
11-17-2009, 02:51 PM
i'll have to take pics of my install.. i cut holes for the speakers so they just sit on top. wont need to take out the seats next time i wanna change rear speakers.. i'll take some pics quick so you know what im talking about. I think everything about it is so much better.

keith6110
11-17-2009, 03:09 PM
alright got some pics.. i think its so much better when they're sitting on top, so much louder too.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/random/IMAG0040.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/random/IMAG0039.jpg

kalvinsaid
11-17-2009, 03:31 PM
they look lifted...i say you just do it properly. because the cover is really malleable, it really isnt a bother. not to mention if your speakers are sticking out like that, thieves will know you have an aftermarket sound system, giving them another reason to break into a car. just my 2 cents.

IVORY_G
11-17-2009, 03:51 PM
X2, I've thought about doing the same thing as well for better sound quality and ease of removal, but the risk of thieves breaking from seeing the speakers doesnt appeal much to me. Maybe if you painted the speakers grilles to match the carpet so they dont stick out as much... Or change the color of the rear deck carpet to black in order to have the same effect.

keith6110
11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
lol my tint is DARK. i was going to take a picture from outside the car but the camera couldnt see it. so yea i dont think i risk much there. plus my alarm system movement sensitive, so im not too worried about thieves.

i guess i'll find out if i have a smashed rear window with missing speakers and stuff lol

IVORY_G
11-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Well I've had a car of mine stolen and partially stripped. Which included my speakers which I mounted the way yours are with 5% rear window tint. And its not a good feeling that I'd like to experience again. So I think I'll play it safe under the radar.

kalvinsaid
11-18-2009, 12:09 AM
not to mention, from the pictures you provided, the cover doesn't sit very flush with the speakers mounted that way.

keith6110
11-18-2009, 01:42 PM
actually cover was previously messed up. when i got the car the rear windsheild was shattered and things dont really line up, example being that brake light you see in the picture. Maybe im missing clips or something but i'll grab another one from another galant sometime. not really important to me right now.

fliegendaffe
11-19-2009, 10:12 AM
i personally think it is stupid to cut the rear deck or door for that matter just to use the speaker grills that come with the speakers.

HungarianHunter
11-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm curious to see if anyone has a solution for my problem:

I rewrapped the read deck with a thicker fabric, and now the sound from the rear speakers is shit. Should I just poke holes into the fabric, where the holes in the board are? To allow air to move through? Or just cut holes and get some covers that would sit pretty flush with the deck?

keith6110
11-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm curious to see if anyone has a solution for my problem:

I rewrapped the read deck with a thicker fabric, and now the sound from the rear speakers is shit. Should I just poke holes into the fabric, where the holes in the board are? To allow air to move through? Or just cut holes and get some covers that would sit pretty flush with the deck?

i say use the covers that came with the speakers, thats what i did. but everyone else here is against it so you should put holes in the fabric.. lol im kidding i think what i did is going to be your only solution that will still look okay.
Sounds like the fabric you used is thick so its muffled your sound from the speakers.

HungarianHunter
11-19-2009, 03:25 PM
i say use the covers that came with the speakers, thats what i did. but everyone else here is against it so you should put holes in the fabric.. lol im kidding i think what i did is going to be your only solution that will still look okay.
Sounds like the fabric you used is thick so its muffled your sound from the speakers.

Right, it's very muffled. And I can see why your idea is a good one, but I don't have very dark tint, nor do I have an alarm, so I don't want my speakers to be eye candy or motivation for a thief.

fliegendaffe
11-19-2009, 04:34 PM
the reason why your speakers are muffled is because of the fabric. the fabric used on the rear deck is an acoustic friendly fabric not to mention the holes in the board.

HungarianHunter
11-19-2009, 04:35 PM
the reason why your speakers are muffled is because of the fabric. the fabric used on the rear deck is an acoustic friendly fabric not to mention the holes in the board.

Yes sir, I understand that, I was looking for a solution :P

fliegendaffe
11-19-2009, 04:37 PM
thin the fabric, pins holes in fabric, or last resort, use the grills

HungarianHunter
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
thin the fabric, pins holes in fabric, or last resort, use the grills

So, as an audio install expert, you think poking small holes in the fabric with maybe a needle will be enough?

fliegendaffe
11-19-2009, 04:51 PM
No not really

keith6110
11-19-2009, 07:42 PM
just a thought.. maybe you should pick up plastic hollow cylinder spacers with a rounded edge on one side or something.. poke holes in your fabric and glue these things in i guess. don't know what else to tell ya.

HungarianHunter
11-20-2009, 12:17 AM
No not really

So then I'm stuck using the speaker grilles? Because I don't want to unwrap the rear deck I like the way it looks a lot.