PDA

View Full Version : Check engine Light

Aztec
02-24-2003, 01:18 AM
the light just went on when i turned my car on today. I been driving with my intake for a few thousand miles, can it be my intake causing the light to turn on? Should i take it to my dealer? I only have 16,000 miles on it?

TJC
02-24-2003, 02:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aztec)</div><div class='quotemain'>the light just went on when i turned my car on today. I been driving with my intake for a few thousand miles, can it be my intake causing the light to turn on? Should i take it to my dealer? I only have 16,000 miles on it?</div>

Take it to AutoZone and get a free diagnostic. Tell them your year and tell them the SES light is on. They can print out a report for you. If it doesn't sound serious, I'd wait until after 3 days of driving to see if it goes away. Sometimes, the ECU is working to adjust something but takes a little more time to correct itself... so to answer your question, it can be the intake but it also might be able to correct itself. And just to be sure it's not something else, double check all installations and make sure it isn't something that has come loose or something like rubbing on the intake that has caused wear and is now a leak.

As a last resort, you might want to reset the ECU but I would only do this as a last resort like after driving for 3 days for it to try and correct itself. When you reset the ECU, it has to learn your car from the beginning again and that may actually prolong the ECU from correcting the way your car runs and possibly trip the SES light again. Good luck.

pinoyesv6
02-24-2003, 08:25 AM
another thing u could do is just pop the hood and do a simple visual inspection. something might have gotten loose and unplugged, or something like that. check ur intake make sure they are still tight and holding up etc etc. also make not of any changes in ur car's peformance taht u get with the light on. this might be helpful to the technician if ur car needs to be serviced

Aztec
02-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Three AutoZones in different areas just told me that in the state of California is against the law for them to do a diagnostic. :roll:

I already checked all my connections and fluids. The only thing i did a while back was remove my intake hoses trying to cover them up( i don't like the Injen red hoses) but i drove like that for a few days now.

99GalantES
02-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Unplug your battery to let the computers reset (15 - 20 should do it) Then drive your car as normal and wait to see if the light comes back, if it does you still have your problem. It could have been a fluke that caused one of the computers to think something was wrong. Also you MAF could be bad/damaged or unplugged. Don't forget these cars weren't designed to take in so much air so when you first turn your car on after reseting the computers it may die or want to die merely because it wasn't expecting so much air.

TJC
02-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Three AutoZones in different areas just told me that in the state of California is against the law for them to do a diagnostic.....

Maybe they're just lazy over there in the bay area. I've had it done here in L.A. and they are very nice about it and go back in the store to even show me on the computer and give me a printout of all the codes that was tripped.

It's not like they are giving you self mechanical advice to do anything to your car. They are just printing out what the computer found as trouble codes.

Just tell them last time you took it to a different AutoZone and they were very courteous and didn't have a problem with it. :wink:

NRG
02-24-2003, 10:37 PM
I was told you can't do that at autzone anymore........

TJC
02-24-2003, 10:46 PM

really? that would kind of suck. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif I have to admit the last time I did that was probably in December.

Messiah
02-25-2003, 02:54 AM

They told me the same thing

Fishboy55
02-25-2003, 07:26 AM
They told me the same thing over here on the East Coast, and I notice they don't advertise it on their website anymore, either.

Chip

BlueBlazedDragon
03-07-2003, 11:58 PM
if it only has 16k miles u should take it to the dealer,,its still under warranty till 35k