PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue...

mindvehicle
12-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Ok, I have a 2001 ES 3.0 V6...

Couple of weekends ago my starter crapped out on me while we were out and after a tow home, I removed it. Took it to Advanced Auto for test and it was very weak. That one was just over a year old, and Advanced replaced it at no charge. After the install, all was well for a few days, then the car wouldn't start again.This time there was no noise coming from the starter at all (with the weak starter, I could at least hear the solonoid engage). I checked my connections and alll was well. After 20-30 mins of fiddling, the car started up. I chalked it up to a loose wire to the solonoid, and went about my week. Then it happened again a few days later. This time I was waiting for the engine to cool so I could reach down and check the wire again, but I decided to turn the key after about 20 mins of cooling, and it started. I drove it home, shut it off, then tried to start again to no avail. The next morning, it fired up. Made it to work, then 8.5 hrs later it started fine. Drove to second job, and 2 hrs later it started fine. On my way home I stopped at the grocery store, in and out in 5 mins, then the car wouldn't start. I waited about 30 mins, trying every few mins to start, and finally it did. So here I am. This morning, I started the car, let it reach operating temp, shut it off, then tried to restart, and it did not. Now I'm letting it cool down till I try again. It seems to only happen when the car is warmed up.

Sorry for the novel, I just want to be thorough in my description of the problem. This is my only vehicle and I'm 45 mins from work and can't afford to be broken down for long. Any help would be much appreciated. I will post any and all developments as I continue troubleshooting this morning.

Galant Evolution
12-02-2009, 09:22 AM
did you secure that loose wire good? Have you checked it again?

mindvehicle
12-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Although I originally thought it was a loose wire, I'm no longer convinced that's the case. I let the car cool back down this morning, and I just went and started it back up. It's running now. I'll let it warm up then try again when its hot.

mindvehicle
12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
OK....quick recap for the morning:

-Started car first thing this morning. Let it warm up for 10-15 mins. Shut the car off and tried to restart, to no avail.

-Let the car cool down for 30-35 mins, and it started right up. Let it run for 10-15 seconds, then shut it off and it started again.

-Let the car warm back up for 10-15 mins and shut it off. Then tried to start again.....and nothing.

Battery is good, starter is good. I can hear the relay clicking in the box near the battery, but nothing from the starter. The car is cooling back down now and when it does I will try again.

Galant Evolution
12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
No CEL codes? hmm...

mindvehicle
12-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Doh! My CEL is on....has been since I replaced my plugs and wires a few months ago. Had it checked @ Autozone and codes were for my O2 sensor. The car was running fine and mpg's were right on so I let it go. It very well may be throwing a new code. If it starts back up for me I'll get to the store and have them check again.

Galant Evolution
12-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Have that checked out! Im not sure if it would throw a code at you but if it would it would probably make things a little bit easyer

mindvehicle
12-02-2009, 12:31 PM
P1400: Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor

P0101: Mass Air Flow Sensor

Hope it's not the MAF cause that thing is expensive!

Both an easy replacement though, just not so easy on the wallet.

Galant Evolution
12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
P1400: Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor

P0101: Mass Air Flow Sensor

Hope it's not the MAF cause that thing is expensive!

Both an easy replacement though, just not so easy on the wallet.

True. I went to a junkyard when my MAF went, and got one from there and have had no problems and was easy on my money. Never had to replace a MDPS before though. I dont know it this is related to your problem starting the car, im assuming not though. When my MAF went i couldnt start my car ever though, regardless of cold or hot.

mindvehicle
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Good to know. I'll be checking with the JY tomorrow to see if I can find one. The guy @ Autozone (who actually seemed to know his stuff ) guessed it was the MAF before he even hooked up the OBD unit. Maybe the 2 sensors are related somehow? Dunno.

Galant Evolution
12-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Good to know. I'll be checking with the JY tomorrow to see if I can find one. The guy @ Autozone (who actually seemed to know his stuff ) guessed it was the MAF before he even hooked up the OBD unit. Maybe the 2 sensors are related somehow? Dunno.

Possibly! get that checked out and let us know, If your starter checked out ok it could be related to the CELs

mko
12-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Most likely the MAS is bad. The manifold pressure sensor could be an after effect of the bad MAS

Go to the j/y. I got mine for 30 bucks

mindvehicle
12-03-2009, 06:02 PM
The manifold pressure sensor could be an after effect of the bad MAS

That's what I'm hoping. I'll be picking one up tomorrow or saturday.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll post my results over the weekend.

mindvehicle
12-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Got one from salvage yard and installed it today. Car still wont start when warmed up....Again, when the car has sat for 3-4 hours and is completely cool, it starts right up and runs like a top. But once it reaches operating temp, it will not restart untill cooled.

Do I need to reset the ECU?
Maybe the J/Y MAF sensor is also no good? Is there any way to check them?

I need some feedback guys!

I dont have the cash or time to waste on this thing. And I'd like to avoid dealing with a shop if possible.

For now, it's snowing outside so I'm done for the day. Gonna get my head right and drink some coffee and release my aggression via Gran Turismo 4. Grrrrrr....

Galant Evolution
12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Im sorry to still hear that the problem is still complicated :-( I dont think there is a way to check the MAF, but if it was bad a CEL code would have poped up pretty quickly. I know when mine shit the bed i got a code after 10 miles. This is a strange problem that the car will not start up when warm. I know nothing about resetting ECUs other than unplugging the battery for 20min and re-connecting, but i know this is not the proper way to re-set the ECU, although i have done it several times and have not had any problems. You could try that. It will take about 40 or so miles for the car to run smoothly again, after re-connecting the battery the car will idle extremly low, shift hard, and max out the RPMs in between shifts, but after so many miles the car ajusts and should run smoothly again. Im sorry i cant be of much help :-/

samurai
05-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Have you fix this problem??? I have simlar problom encountered with my 4G93 Legnum..Much appreciated if you can share some knowledge

Chaps
05-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Have you fix this problem??? I have simlar problom encountered with my 4G93 Legnum..Much appreciated if you can share some knowledge

Samurai, I'm sure I speak for most of the galant owners on this forum.

PLEASE STOP BUMPING OLD POSTS! If you have a problem with your car, search the forums. They're here to help and very useful. Our search engine is located on the top of the page in between "New Posts" and "Quick Links"

If you still can't find your answer, start a new thread in the appropriate section of the forums. But seriously, stop reviving dead threads.

EDIT:
And welcome to TGC

varroa
05-10-2010, 10:10 AM
i thought that most forums encourage bumping old threads instead of creating a new one on the same subject? that keeps the search engine from including so many threads into every search.

Bloody Arro
05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
^x2