PDA

View Full Version : If you had the choice...

Dukeplaya31
02-24-2003, 08:28 PM
As most of you know, I totalled my car last Friday. I'm not positive on what I'm going to be doing yet because i'm not sure how much I'm going to get back from the insurance. ( I beleive that they will be covering ALL my aftermarket damaged parts)
A part of me wants to get a new car, like the 6 or Z, or maybe even an M3,S4, or GSX. It all depends on how much money I get back.
Now my reason for posting this is...
If I was to get a galant (7g) it would be either the 94 GS DOHC, 95 S, or 98 DE. In any case I want a 5spd. I NEED to be able to control my driving, even w/ the levelten upgrade I was disgusted w/ my former a/t.
If you had a choice in getting one of these, which one would you get?
The catch is that I have $1500 dollars worth of ordered parts that I cannot cancel and are already coming to me. I also have a bunch of aftermarket parts from my old galant that can be swapped over (the reason for me being reluctant to by a completely diff. car). I know the DOHC is better but that would prob be my last choice because of all the SOHC parts I already have.

I think I remember the DE being the lowest model of the 7g's...I have already located a 95 s,94 gs, and also a 98 de..what would you guys do?

I also need help from members Jesse, Fstrnthu, and anyone else that has a manual 7g. How is the shifting? Any problems or regrets? I know Fstrnthu has a stage 3 clutch...where did you get it and could you actually tell the difference? If one you guys could give me a quick review of your tranny, that would help me in my desicion.
As always, thanks.

-Joe

JiP
02-24-2003, 08:37 PM
no doubt about it if I was in your position and going to stay galant (which no way in hell I would) id go 94 dohc if you can find it, cause I cant over here. What performance parts do you have that you dont think you'll be able to use on he dohc model? Because almost everything will work unless you ordered a ported intake manifold the intakes dont match up.

If you dont stay 4g64/4g63 (galant, spyder, turbo eclipse) then i'm sure you can sell the parts you ordered on the group or ebay but then again you may have to take a loss on that one.

Nyr0283
02-24-2003, 09:15 PM
I'm selling my 95 S 5 speed if your interested :wink: .. no guarantees on the tranny tho, its making some funny noises :cry:

BEAST
02-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Basically what JiP said. You would probably want to get the GS for obviously reasons. What parts do you have that won't fit? If not I would say go with the 95 S. That way it's a DSM. Might be a little better for you. I like the backs of the 94-95 more anyway.

seth98esT
02-24-2003, 10:10 PM
i didnt know they made 7g DEs...from what i hear the 7g 5spd isnt too bad, but you can just buy a 5spd 7g and swap a 2g 5spd in it SOMEWHAT easily. thats what i would do if i were u duke

Kain
02-24-2003, 10:49 PM
i didnt know they made 7g DEs...

They didn't the DE was the 8g replacement for the S trim level of the 7g's.

But back to the main topic...I'd love to have a GS. That would be my #1 choice. It has all the benefits of a DSM (except turbo) and all the benefits of a Galant. The best of both worlds. Personally though, I like obscure cars so I'd probably go find a DeLorian or something if I had to start over again.

JiP
02-24-2003, 10:54 PM
A DeLorean LOL a car idea financed by cocaine =] Gotta love John Delorean he created all the muscle cars and somehow failed out on his own :?

Dukeplaya31
02-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Umm...apparently they did.
I just looked at TWO today.
One silver and the other champagne.
The silver is a 1998 DE 5spd, one owner, 46,000miles, near perfect condition.
I take pics for you guys (next week) or even send you a link.

Dukeplaya31
02-25-2003, 01:02 AM
Anyone know of any car searching sites besides autotrader.com and ebay???
I'm looking for some GS'..I've only managed to find ONE and it is 113 miles away from me and has substansial damage. I've found many DE's and S' so I'm all set with those. Any help is appreciated.

-Joe F.

seth98esT
02-25-2003, 01:08 AM
not sure, but whatever u get, make sure it has a DOHC hood. Mitsu put the DOHC hood on some SOHC 4g64s so it does not only aply to the 94/95 GS...

Strahan
02-25-2003, 08:45 AM
A part of me wants to get a new car, like the 6 or Z, or maybe even an M3,S4, or GSX.

If you get enough money back to use as a downpayment on a new M3 and you creditwise have that option, personally I can't imagine that's even a choice hehe. M3 would definently be sweet.

2True
02-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Well Joe, I really don't know man. As much as I'd love to see you stay, sometimes it's just better to move on. You're an asset to us on these boards and part of the fraction of O.G. 7g pioneers. But maybe it's time bro, get you a car that can really move; something that will absolutley conform to your driving style. I have been looking into the 6 myself, and don't forget that the RX-8 hits the showrooms here soon, under 40g on top of that. I know you got money dawg, it isn't a big secret https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif The money your gonna throw into a GS or a 98 DE or whatever, could make some other car fast as a MF! But hey, it's all relative right :wink: I mean, if the insurance company replaces all the stuff from the old car and you put it on a new used one... your right back to where you were before the crash. Maybe even a little better now with a M/T on it.

If I had to choose a Galant for you it would be the 98 DE without a doubt. With 1500 worth of stuff coming to you, it is a tuff call man.

Wes

BEAST
02-25-2003, 12:54 PM
www.cars.com

RMG612
02-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Id go with an S4 if it was an option.