PDA

View Full Version : HIDs and CAI bypass?!

echo12
12-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Allright forum so here's the deal:

My 05 9Gts has 1 headlight that's yellow-er than a lemon on the driver's side. Also the foglight on the same side is a bit "frostier" than the one in the passenger's .

This is cuz about a year ago i had an accident (all facial thank god) and they replaced the two housings on the passenger's side.

Now Im all for HID's and them being cheap and efficient and SLIM and digital and all. However is kinda confusing when they say "Bi-Xenon" and "Halogen is illegal" and yes I've googled it and all but is quite too much. On top of me being one of those lucky fellows with projector headlights :D

So I'd rather ask G-freaks about my G stuff.

On the same Car I got the very known Fujita CAI!
Awesome sound and performance. But i have no cover for it!!!
Plus I live in FL so since it rains every-other day im kinda concerned about water getting into my engine. (I did the Sea-Foam thing preety cool but not very smokey!)

The idea of a CAI bypass sounds interesting and stetically impressive as well, but it seems somewhat restricting to me, doesn't it?

Basically the three questions here are:

1. Does this one product kit seem worth it compared to other products out there, to reestore plastic/Glass headlights/foglights? -use link Below

http://www.urethanesupply.com/storeheadlight.php

2. Wich HID KIT + xenon\bi-xenon + wiring harness?

3. CAI bypass, worth it or not? ; Any suggestions on that matter?

Thanx!

Galant Evolution
12-05-2009, 04:27 PM
The cleaning headlight restore kit works as far as i know. My friend in the club used it to clean his fogged up lights and it came out well. Bi-xenon if im not mistaken is just a HID bulb that has a high and low beam, some kits have a HID low and also attached to the same housing is a Hallogen bulb for hi-beam. Other kits have just an HID bulb with an electro-magnet type thing that moves back and forth for high beam. CAI bypass is only good if you plan on completly submerging your CAI filter. Otherwise what works great is a CAI bra that slips on over the filter and restricts water from entering when you go through heavy rain/ puddles.

echo12
12-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I see.

Well i sort of "shopped" around the internet for the Headlight cleaner and that one i posted brings several sanding pads and the Finisher/polisher; so basically is everything i need. Plus I'll be taking the headlight completely out so i dont care about the tape. To me seems that's a good buy so it is on my top for consideration.

HID's im just a little skeptic about cuz of all the Wattage ratings and such; some say theyre 35W some 55W, Ive even seen some 65W. I guess I have to do some more research on that not to melt cables and fuses.

CAI bypass: I dunno, i still think i might get it since occasionally you have to submerge in waters here in FL. Of course not on purpuse. However, I saw some CAI airboxes or for EVO's and RSX's. I was hoping there was one too for the 4G Eclipse that would fit the
9G but so far I haven't got ahold of it yet.

RedLine DOHC
12-05-2009, 08:05 PM
3m make a great headlight restorer and its only like 20 bucks.

Galant Evolution
12-06-2009, 08:53 AM
As of right now i have a 30,000k HID kit for show use (dark blue) thats 35W, and for driving i just switch out the 30k bulb with a 8k bulb still at 35W. I would stick with the 35W ballast, That is what the majority of people with HIDs have.

I see.

Well i sort of "shopped" around the internet for the Headlight cleaner and that one i posted brings several sanding pads and the Finisher/polisher; so basically is everything i need. Plus I'll be taking the headlight completely out so i dont care about the tape. To me seems that's a good buy so it is on my top for consideration.

HID's im just a little skeptic about cuz of all the Wattage ratings and such; some say theyre 35W some 55W, Ive even seen some 65W. I guess I have to do some more research on that not to melt cables and fuses.

CAI bypass: I dunno, i still think i might get it since occasionally you have to submerge in waters here in FL. Of course not on purpuse. However, I saw some CAI airboxes or for EVO's and RSX's. I was hoping there was one too for the 4G Eclipse that would fit the
9G but so far I haven't got ahold of it yet.

echo12
12-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Cool I'll be taking all this into consideration when making my purchase.

Thanks again

johnygezony
12-06-2009, 03:43 PM
If you want Lighting performance, then stick with 4300k-6000k for the best light output, One must understand that the higher the Kelvin rating, the less light output. During the winter i take the extension pipe off of my CAI and made a little short ram out off some piping so i wouldn't ruin my K&N filter with snow and salt.

echo12
12-06-2009, 07:38 PM
If you want Lighting performance, then stick with 4300k-6000k for the best light output, One must understand that the higher the Kelvin rating, the less light output. During the winter i take the extension pipe off of my CAI and made a little short ram out off some piping so i wouldn't ruin my K&N filter with snow and salt.

You got pics for this mod?

Its an interesting point. However, tHe Fujita CAI for the 9G is a two piece so it can be either short ram or full CAI! But again i live in FL so it would kinda suck to be assembling all that every other day! :D

thats why I was leaning towards the bypass.

johnygezony
12-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Well the bypass valve is to prevent water from getting into your engine, your filter will still get soaked and such. If you wanna see my set up for winter i can go take pics if you want.

Oh, also K&N sells waterproof Pre-Filters (filter bags) that you can just snug around your filter, perhaps if you found the dimmensions of your filter, and found a filter bag that would fit it...

4g63lover
12-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I wouldnt submerge the intake in water even if you have a bypass valve. Just wouldnt risk it.

echo12
12-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Yea I've seen those bags and seems like a logical solution to prevent salt, leafs and stuff like that to get stuck on your filter, cutting short your filters life and performance.

still i wouldn't submerge my intake in water on purpose, this is FL's Weather!. It happens!