PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter

Galant Evolution
12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
i searched and couldnt find anything. Is the fuel filter on the 8g in the tank? how would i go about replacing??

mko
12-16-2009, 11:07 AM
According to Haynes its in the tank tho. For 7g its on the firewall, maybe 8g's have a second one there too

o1naturalhigh
12-16-2009, 11:09 AM
yes...i believe the 8g's are in the tank.

tamim13
12-16-2009, 11:24 AM
From what I've read on here long ago, it's not easily replaceable either (non serviceable item).

mko
12-16-2009, 11:26 AM
If its the micro cloth fuel filter at the end of the fuel pump, then it is replaceable and available. If its some other kind of filter then IDK

Galant Evolution
12-16-2009, 11:35 AM
damn ok, ill look under the hood when i can, roughly where would it be located under the hood? and if its in/ near the tank what would it look like?

jojo03
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
its in the gas tank. Like mko said its a white micro cloth located at the bottom of the fuel pump.

Galant Evolution
12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
so i have to take out the fuel pump to get it? grr, should i replace it? never have before, im at 97k

o1naturalhigh
12-16-2009, 02:31 PM
i think you have to drop the whole tank to get to the fuel filter.

Galant Evolution
12-16-2009, 02:33 PM
omg, nvm lol

DryBear
12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
You don't need to drop the tank. From memory:

* Relieve the fuel pressure in the system - pull the fuel pump fuse then start the engine till it dies.
* Pull off the rear seat bottom
* I don't remember, but I think there is a panel cover in the middle - remove it
* GENTLY remove the feed and return lines, as well as electrical connector. The feed and return line ports on top of the pump can easily break.
* You will then need to remove the retaining ring. Find the mating marks, and highlight them with chalk/crayon. get a wide flathead screwdriver, and put some tape on the end to prevent it messing up the ring. Place the screwdriver on a ridge of the ring and gently tap the screwdriver with a mallet to move the ring. This will take a long time. Alternately, you could get the proper tool. to remove the ring.
* Once the ring is off, get a bucket, and MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO OPEN FLAMES/IGNITION SOURCES NEARBY. Also, watch for the rubber gasket, and note its orientation and make sure it doesn't fall in.
*Gently pull up on the fuel pump - taking care to watch for the fuel level float arm, and put the pump in the bucket. Cover the hole above the tank so that nothing gets in.
*You should be able to see the fuel filter sock, and replace if necessary.

Reverse the steps above. When installing, make sure the rubber gasket doesn't get twisted or deformed, else fuel vapors will escape. When tightening, make sure to match up the mating marks you made. Always keep an eye on the rubber gasket when installing the retaining ring.

If all that seems a pain in the ass - I assure you IT IS! I would not bother trying to change the filter.

Boosted
12-16-2009, 05:04 PM
i think you have to drop the whole tank to get to the fuel filter.

No, just remove the old filter and install the new one.

There is a tutorial for this I believe. It might not be on this site though, why don't you just search Google?

Galant Evolution
12-16-2009, 05:07 PM
so at 90k+ miles i shouldt have to change it?

Boosted
12-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Depends, what type of fuel you have been running in your motor and what has gathered in your fuel lines thus absorbing into the fuel filter.

Galant Evolution
12-16-2009, 05:31 PM
normal unleded 87, car also sat for 3 years, fuel in tank, dont know if that matters?

duh2150
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
its in the tank, pull the back seat chisel the cap off pull the fuel pump out remove the filter put new filter on reinstall

Poison457
12-16-2009, 07:56 PM
when your reinstalling your fuel pump put the pump gasket/packing in the hole FIRST then slide your pump into the hole, i had to replace my gasket when i first bought my car took me about 30mins of being an idiot and doing it the wrong way before the gas fumes enlightened me to the correct way LOL, also when your removing the pump retaining ring "the big black plastic nut" be gentle with it you won't have access to the tool to do it the right way so use a flat head screw driver and gently tap it with a hammer to loosen and remove, if i remember correctly towards passenger is to loose and towards driver is to tighten, and as quoted to me by a mitsu tech when tighting just keep going till it won't turn anymore without a good whack LOL. seriously that's what he said.

Galant Evolution
12-16-2009, 08:51 PM
^^ LOL thanks bro

varroa
02-11-2010, 07:48 AM
DryBear's and poison's advices are good and sound, but all others are wrong. the fuel filter is not that pad-looking thing on the bottom of the fuel pump module; the fuel filter is inside of the fuel pump module and you have to take the whole thing apart to replace it. it took me about three hours to complete the job (about hour and a half spent whacking the screwdriver trying to unscrew the retaining ring).
you can find the filter at a mitsubishi dealership or here: http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214331&chapter=APP707&appSectionid=1&groupid=10020&subgroupid=20099&componentid=60645&make=24&model=Galant&year=2001&catalogid=1
it looks like this:
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/zhaopian123/fuelfilter.jpg

also, you can see what the filter looks like in the factory service manual.

when pulling the pump out, be EXTREMELY careful with the fuel level sending unit's arm. it's very fragile.

when you take the pump apart, be very careful and gentle, because all the plastic parts inside feel very brittle and fragile. also preserve any and all rubber gaskets and lube them with gasoline when reinstalling to prevent damage.

as poison457 said, install the packing first, then lube it with gasoline or, as manual suggests, soapy water, and then gently slide in the pump module.

Galant Evolution
02-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the advice, i think im goin to replace mine man

varroa
02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
and, also, instead of using a bucket, first i just let as much gasoline drain as possible whlie still holding the fuel pump module somewhat inside the tank (but out of the gas).

and then, i disassembled the module on the ground, covered with a large heavy-duty trashbag and layered with shop paper towels to absorb gasoline.

duh2150
02-12-2010, 08:02 AM
and do it with a emptyish fuel tank, i did my fuel pump the hardest part is getting the dam top back on and the pump sitting right

Galant Evolution
02-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, ill let you know how it comes out when i get around to it.