PDA

View Full Version : ECM Location?

DJRINC18
02-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Okay, I'm not a total idiot and I know where the computer is supposed to be. I bought a Chiltons manual and can't even decipher the picture. It tells me to remove the two center console side panels but I had the radio and stuff out today and still don't see anything useful. I need help before I attempt to strip the entire interior out.

seth98esT
02-25-2003, 06:08 PM
ECU is under the radio...its a metal box...

2True
02-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Just took mine out yesterday, you are in Luck my friend!

This is for a 96-98 I think, 94-95 are in passenger kick panel.

Take the shifter and the center dash peices off.
Take the side panels of the console off. Your gonna have to remove part of the panel under the steering column also.
Right next to the gas pedal area inside the center column is bracket shaped deal with 3 metal boxes in it. The ECM is mounted to the top inside of the bracket, it's upside down basically. You know it's the right one because it has 2 screws on the front of it.
To remove it you'll have to go to the other side (passenger) and look in the same area. There are two 10mm screws holding that sucker in there and they are a bitch and a half to get to. Once those are undone, pull out all 4 of the wire harness' and slide the ECM towards you and BAM! all good

If that walkthrough sucks, let me know LOL

DJRINC18
02-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Thank you very much. The '94-'95 must be the same because the picture in Chilton's is exactly what you described. All the other captions tell you where the damn thing is except the one for the '94-'98. Now I can finish my little project.

JiP
02-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Thank you very much. The '94-'95 must be the same because the picture in Chilton's is exactly what you described. All the other captions tell you where the damn thing is except the one for the '94-'98. Now I can finish my little project.

Whats the projecT?

If your just taping wires on the ecu all you have to do is remove the passenger side cover on the center console and the ecu/harness is stairing right at you. Easier to work with if you also pull out the heater vent under the glovebox.

MidNightRacing
02-25-2003, 07:29 PM
94-95 are in passenger kick panel.

No wonder when I took out all of that I never saw The ECU (was'nt really lookin for It, But now as I think of it :? )

JiP
02-25-2003, 07:37 PM
94-95 are in passenger kick panel.

No wonder when I took out all of that I never saw The ECU (was'nt really lookin for It, But now as I think of it :? )

Passenger kick panel is the panel on whatside of the pass seat? I confuse people with that all the time, in 97 atleast there is only a panel on the left side of the passenger seat on the center console the right side is just molding, so I always refer to it as the kickpanel.

marionunez17
01-23-2009, 01:05 PM
where would the computer be located on a 2001 galant? do you guys know?

mko
01-23-2009, 01:25 PM
woo, old thread and wrong section

passenger side, behind the kick panel on the left side /center console/

Galanttuner10
01-23-2009, 04:49 PM
im glad someone posted in here cuz i needed this and i was gonna ask 2 double check lol

marionunez17
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks i am doing the a/t to m/t swap.