PDA

View Full Version : PCV valve

Galant Evolution
12-31-2009, 07:48 PM
ok, im confused. Usually when the car is running and you pull out the PCV valve the car idles horribly and chokes. I have been having this vibration problem for a while and cannot figure it out but maybe this is a lead? What does this mean? What would cause the engine to run the same with the PCV valve installed or taken out??:086:

duh2150
12-31-2009, 11:27 PM
vacuum leaks, check them

Galant Evolution
01-01-2010, 10:33 AM
^ i visually looked around for em and couldnt feel any. Whats another good way to check??

Poison457
01-01-2010, 11:38 AM
if the car run's the same with the PCV in or out, then it's either a bad PCV valve or vacuum leaks, that's the only 2 things it can be, you can get a vacuum gauge and hook it to one end of a vacuum line and check the reading VS the service manual, you can also use cold soapy water and test vacuum joints and connections for holes and leaks, the reason why you want to use soapy water instead of just water is with the film the soap makes you can see the water being sucked in a little easier than just plain water, though you still have to LOOK for the leak heh. also you don't want to soak the line or joint to much water in there will realy screw things up, just a ittie bittie dap at the joint or on a worn section.

Idealy atleast what i would do, is go through line by line and replace and inspect it, but that's just me.

Galant Evolution
01-01-2010, 02:21 PM
me and my dad just checked all the vacumm lines are ok and functional. Now all the sudden if i disconnect the PCV valve the car almost dies so its working again....now we hear an air seeping noice by the tranny, only in gear. are there any vacumm lines down there??? its loud

Poison457
01-01-2010, 02:41 PM
a seeping noise by the tranny? in the front or back? the only things down by the tranny "should" be exhaust, tranny coolant lines,power steering lines, lower radiator hose,brake lines, there is a coolant tube that run's the length of the block in the back about middle of it, that's all i can think of off the top of my head, but none should be making a seeping sound because there all preasurized system's. is it a sucking sound or a blowing sound?

"edit" btw man how much did you spend on this car? it seems like you've been having ALOT of problem's with it

Galant Evolution
01-01-2010, 04:02 PM
^^ yeah right in the front by the mount i can hear it, and alot go see my build thread in the members rides section, pretty much everything but the motor lol! the car was given to me by my mom but i wont give up on my G! I can hear it by the tranny mount im not sure it it could be from the lower part of the intake manifold tho...grrr vacummz suck!

mko
01-01-2010, 05:57 PM
your car shouldnt die when you pull the PCV valve from the valve cover

duh2150
01-01-2010, 07:07 PM
no more talk about PCV valves buy one its like 2 bucks, see if it fixes anything., if it working now replace it anyways

Galant Evolution
01-02-2010, 02:49 PM
^^^ yeah ik its figured out now thanks