PDA

View Full Version : hyper ground wires

krazienluv10
02-25-2003, 08:39 PM
hey everyone, i was reading import turner march edition and noticed that the surbaru wrx had hyper ground wires being installed to the car... i was like wondering why the hp increased by 2 and the torque by 9...how did this happen is this really true just by addin more grounds... and also cant we make these wires ourselves??

BEAST
02-25-2003, 08:43 PM
I saw that too. I don't know why that would make a difference though.

Kain
02-25-2003, 09:15 PM
It makes a diffrence the same way upgrading your plug wires makes a diffrence. Electricity is made up of (well, I'll oversimplify for the sake of this argument) 2 parts. Positive and Negative. When the two come together, you have electricity. The Positive travels through the spark plug wire. The Negative is already waiting for it at the plug, transferred through the head via the ground strap. Make the ground strap better, and it complements having better spark plug wires.

That's massively over-simplified but that's the gist of it.

BEAST
02-25-2003, 09:26 PM
So exactly what ground wires do we have besides the obvious battery ground. What guage should we upgrade to? Like 2 guage? Where can we get 2 guage or 0 guage wire? Audio Store?

JiP
02-25-2003, 09:38 PM
It makes a diffrence the same way upgrading your plug wires makes a diffrence. Electricity is made up of (well, I'll oversimplify for the sake of this argument) 2 parts. Positive and Negative. When the two come together, you have electricity. The Positive travels through the spark plug wire. The Negative is already waiting for it at the plug, transferred through the head via the ground strap. Make the ground strap better, and it complements having better spark plug wires.

That's massively over-simplified but that's the gist of it.

Actualy in reality the negative side is what transfers over to the positive, electrons do the work https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif See my EE degree is good for something!

JiP
02-25-2003, 09:40 PM
When you have good grounding your electrical system works better and is less noisy. For example, take off that brace that holds your downpipe to the engine and watch what happens to your A/F meter the ground wire on the o2 sensor is a tiny lil thing, add that brace that holds the pipe steady..it also acts as a massive grounding source for the pipe and o2 sensors and now your o2 sensors work perfectly.

krazienluv10
02-26-2003, 12:59 AM
okay right now i have wires that is i think 4 gauge or maybe 2... it was for my amp but i never used it and it is like 8 ft long... can i use that?? and if i can what do i connect it to??any ideas...

pinoyesv6
02-26-2003, 01:06 AM
yea remember ur ecu doesn't only tell your other components what to do but it also recieve feedback from thigns like the MAS and the o2 sensor etc etc. think of it as this. like an internet connection. u ground wire system right now is like a dial up connection. its ok u can get things done with it. not the best in teh world but u can deal with it. having the upgraded ground is kinda like moving up to a dsl connection. much better than the dial up. things get clearer etc etc faster signal, clearer signal. all good

krazienluv10
02-26-2003, 01:10 AM
hmmm i feel like workin on my car now.... but what connects to what ???

BEAST
02-26-2003, 01:49 AM
Good question. We are definatly going to have to look into this!

krazienluv10
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
the wires in the mag doesnt even look that think, i think it is a 6 or an 8 gauge...hmmmm

BEAST
02-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Do they have a website?

BEAST
02-26-2003, 06:43 PM
Found this:
http://www.slipstreamr.com/HGS.asp ('http://www.slipstreamr.com/HGS.asp')
It doesn't say what guage they are though.

JiP
02-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Ill tell you all right now... ::geting sumit catalog::

::caugh:: The strap in sumit is 4 auage 14" strap its flat braded not an acutaly "wire" in the normal sense but its all the same shit. 4awg speaker wire will be the same.

Where they go? This is a total guess but I would think it bolts to the engine block or any thick part in contact with the block or head and then to the chassis??

krazienluv10
02-26-2003, 06:55 PM
yea www.importtuner.com

BEAST
02-26-2003, 07:09 PM
I was talking about for the hyper ground wires.

krazienluv10
02-26-2003, 09:08 PM
ohhh my bad https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Dark Anghell
02-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Ok first of all performance wise I can tell you this: When I was thinking of getting RX-7 (just a few weeks ago) I found out the car has a hesitation in the 3K RPM range due to bad ground wires. One way to fix that was installing new ground wires. So I'm sure it will work the same way for Galant.
As for the wires themselves. I think there are certain spots for the wires, you can't just bolt them to everything you see under the hood. My friends were thinking of saving some money by making up a kit themselves, but it's not the same. So my suggestion is to try and find the kit, or at least the diagram showing where all the wires are suppost to go.

JiP
02-26-2003, 11:42 PM
In this magazine you got the idea from they didnt say "where" they installed the straps?

A kit? Its just thick wire, any thick wire is well thick wire, the only thing you may need from a kit is to know where to tie-em to https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Im tryin to think of the major components but another group has my head flyin with bs right now. The engine itself is for the most part 1 giant object, then theres the battery, and the frame. The negative battery cable is not 4gauge either at the least that line itself should be upgraded. This is gona bother me :

JiP
02-26-2003, 11:59 PM
Called up a friend of mine whos a big car freak this is what he told me:

On his car he didnt feel like rewiring the battery lines so the easiest way is to get a 4gauge wire atatch it with the rest of the negative side cables right at the battery terminal, and bolt it down to the chasis. Then another strap same gauge bolts to the block to the frame. Also said because I mentind sumit, that the straps that are stop specifically for this purpose are much easier to work with since they are flat and not round, they still provide the same efficiency and also have the ring terminals already connected on.

Hope that helps.

TJC
02-27-2003, 12:55 AM
I've upgraded to self made 4 AWG ground cables a long time ago. I used audio 4 AWG cables and let me tell you that audio cables is going to be so much more efficient than the same size (or bigger) grounding cables you can by from your autoparts store. You also may or may not see any difference in performance; I know I didn't but I like to know that my electrical system is running a little more efficiently. You can just use the spades that you use for the ends like making cables for big ampliers. I've bolted down the extra ground straps off the battery and also on the engine grounds. You should actually ground the engine in two areas, the top and one for the block on the bottom. To further the efficiency of the complete circuit, you should also plan on doing this for the alternator; after all, that's what is generating all the juice to keep the car and all your toys and accessories running AND charge up that battery. And by making these yourself, you can get better and fatter cables made at a fraction of the cost. :mrgreen:

krazienluv10
02-27-2003, 12:35 PM
cool... does any one have pics on these by any chance???

krazienluv10
02-27-2003, 12:45 PM
ohhh yea you guys said to get the 4 gauge wire and bolt it down right... soo do i bolt it down straight from the negative off the battery to the chassy and other places like you said???... my other friend back at home is thinking of doin it too but he said i should just replace all the ground wires which are like 5 of them and make separate grounds... so imm kinda stuck now which might be better???

JiP
02-27-2003, 01:20 PM
ohhh yea you guys said to get the 4 gauge wire and bolt it down right... soo do i bolt it down straight from the negative off the battery to the chassy and other places like you said???... my other friend back at home is thinking of doin it too but he said i should just replace all the ground wires which are like 5 of them and make separate grounds... so imm kinda stuck now which might be better???

Ground is ground there is no seperate grounds,they all electrically atatched. It would be better to redo all of the 5 wires with thicker cable. But youd get away pretty fine with just the methods above. Your not gonna notice anything unless you have some serious electrical issues in your car, so unless you got nothing else to do I wouldnt put this at the top of my mods list https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif Just my 2cents

krazienluv10
02-28-2003, 12:22 AM
hmmm did any body feel at least a little difference???... ohh well ive got nothing to do any ways soo ill try it out hehe thanks people...

JiP
02-28-2003, 01:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmmm did any body feel at least a little difference???... ohh well ive got nothing to do any ways soo ill try it out hehe thanks people...</div>

Post up how it turns out, maybe you'll inspire me to do it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

krazienluv10
03-05-2003, 08:24 PM
okay guys i finally finished my wiring for the ground with the 4 guage... i tried it out and it seems a little bit better but i am not sure cuz it could be the weather becaues its almost night... took me about an hour and did what you guys told me...thanks everyone https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif but i just grounded it to almost anything that could be grounded umm from the battery to the chassy den to another chassy (yea i split the wires apart ) and then again from the batttery to the block and then another block seems pretty good hehe but actually i cant prove a thing, i hope to think that i gained some power ohhh well thanks for ur help!!!! 8)