PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Canning the Bumper

Da_silvagride
01-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey guys I am finally about to put on my Kouki bumper since I have time off of work and school. However, I am at a short coming in my life that I don't have the money to spend for a paint job at the moment. So for temporary I was thinking of paint it with a rattle can.

However, the problem is that their already is a layer of beige with a clear on the bumper. When I go over it will it stick? Secondly, will i have to strip the rattle can paint when I do get it painted the proper color professionally? Also will the rattle can paint layer affect the way the sterling silver paint will lay when I get it painted?

In addition, I have been having a tough time putting the side skirts on since in the middle where front door and rear door meet the gap is so small. Therefore, the skirts aren't able to go in on the edge of the door sill. If some one has the tutorial for installing the old school skirts please post em. we only have the new style install video posted awhile back from Icedoutgalant that i found.

Pictures would help with a video.

beam514
01-03-2010, 11:48 AM
you should sand the old paint for good adhesion. I don't know how far you need to sand, but you at least need to have a micro rough surface for the paint to adhere to. As long as you do it properly, spray paint can come out looking really nice. If you throw some color on there, wetsand, then throw some clear on there and wetsand, it'll definitely look a lot better than a typical rattle can job. My wheels are spray painted bronze and then clearcoated (no wetsanding at all) and people can't even tell they are spray painted.

When you get the bumper professionally painted, I would sand off the old paint, so I guess your rattlecan job won't affect the appearance of the professional job since it'll be sanded off anyway

ricky_db
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
rattle canning a bumper is no easy task its gonna take alot of paint primer and clear it could easly cost like 100-150 bucks to do it right and depending on who and where u get the car painted they will strip it down for ya you never wonna get paint sprayed on top of clear coat it wont stick worth sh!t but if you do paint it sand it down smooth it back out prime, paint, and clear. the color proberbly wont match tho due to sun fadeing of your paint but any paints better than none lol. i rattled mine i only drove it at night lol so i was ok

M-Rod
01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
My opinion... don't even waste your time. Just let the bumper sit somewhere safe until you are ready to have it painted properly. Safe yourself the time and work.

johnygezony
01-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I would agree with M-Rod, you dont have to worry about cracking or wrecking your nice bumper for a while

IceDouTGaLanT
01-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I would wait till you got cash to get it painted, paint shops prob going to charge you more to strip the bumper if you have bunch of coats of rattle can/stock paint on it. If you really desperate take it to macco see what they say.

Da_silvagride
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I would wait till you got cash to get it painted, paint shops prob going to charge you more to strip the bumper if you have bunch of coats of rattle can/stock paint on it. If you really desperate take it to macco see what they say.

yea thats what I am afraid of. I might as well hold off.. or rock the two tone haha.

thanks for y'alls input.

Da_silvagride
01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Does anybody have a tutorial on the installation of the JDM old school skirts?