PDA

View Full Version : OBX Ignition COils

paflow
01-05-2010, 05:36 AM
I on to change the coils (02 2.4) and looking at ebay I saw this "high power coils" from OBX, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-X-SPARK-COIL-PACK-DIRECT-IGNITION-99-03-GALANT-2-4L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5637ecc50aQQitemZ370 305451274QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories
Does this really compared to OEM works? Are worth it?

johnygezony
01-05-2010, 05:55 AM
One of the users on this site, whos name escapes me was using them and one of them melted on him.

Galant Evolution
01-05-2010, 07:26 AM
One of the users on this site, whos name escapes me was using them and one of them melted on him.

Thats not very good... if someone here has them im sure they will post in here soon enough!

tjones156
01-05-2010, 07:51 AM

X2, I would think twice if I were you. Found the other user's build thread, check it out for yourself:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=39457&highlight=obx

Galant Evolution
01-05-2010, 08:39 AM
^^woah those look bad

Galantfan88
01-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Yeahhhh about those, I would really recommend you not to really use those at all since it melted on one of the members motor.

03-Galant-ES
01-05-2010, 10:11 AM
mrg is in the middle of contacting the company and seeing what he can do about it, but I would stick with OEM

SPD_FRK
01-05-2010, 10:12 AM
First let me say that for a coil to melt there is other issues that cause this. Manufacturing of these things is pretty simple and they are not common to be melted. Other factors suchs as improper spark plugs used, not changing regularly, bad O2 sensor, faulty wiring...

The really is no reason you would need to "upgrade" the ignition coil. You need to also understand the ignition system on the 8g 4 cylinder is not as weak as its V6 counterpart which is ran from a distributor. The 4 cyl ignition is an Electronic Ignition and uses high power coils, you have two coils, 1 for each par of plugs which is sufficient for a lot of boosted folks even.

Galantfan88
01-05-2010, 10:19 AM
First let me say that for a coil to melt there is other issues that cause this. Manufacturing of these things is pretty simple and they are not common to be melted. Other factors suchs as improper spark plugs used, not changing regularly, bad O2 sensor, faulty wiring...

The really is no reason you would need to "upgrade" the ignition coil. You need to also understand the ignition system on the 8g 4 cylinder is not as weak as its V6 counterpart which is ran from a distributor. The 4 cyl ignition is an Electronic Ignition and uses high power coils, you have two coils, 1 for each par of plugs which is sufficient for a lot of boosted folks even.

I was hoping it would be ok since I am going to be boosted, awesome thanks

SPD_FRK
01-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I was hoping it would be ok since I am going to be boosted, awesome thanks
Marc is still running his stock coils, pushing around 11-12psi I believe.

Galantfan88
01-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Marc is still running his stock coils, pushing around 11-12psi I believe.

Ok well I was hoping it will be ok, I am going to be running on an HKS Twin Fire and starting off going to be runing 5-8 psi after tune and going to be pushing up after brake in between 18-20 psi. So I just wanna make sure the coil packs are going to be ok on stock.

paflow
01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Then is a BIG NO, thanks Guys!

mrg7243
01-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I was the member that had the melted coil packs, lets just say stay the f*** away, OBX has not contacted me back. For the money i paid for them i am pretty pissed off.

Galantfan88
01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I was the member that had the melted coil packs, lets just say stay the f*** away, OBX has not contacted me back. For the money i paid for them i am pretty pissed off.

Damn dude that really sux I hope all goes well with that

Galant306m
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I would say anything that has obx on it they are a shitty ass company.

mrg7243
01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah i hope so too. I was on their website today, and it was saying that all OBX products have a iftime warrenty, Yet they wont contact me to honor it????

paflow
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Did you try to contact the seller? I think electronic devices are not covered but the seller at least should offer few days.

mrg7243
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I did but the day i went to contact them ebay listed them as a discontinued store, so i am assuming that they went outta business, i bought mine from titan overstock, which if you go onto OBX's website they are listed as a authorized vendor

Galantfan88
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Some products from OBX isnt really that bad at all....well maybe two things arent that bad which is the Racing headers or the turbo manifold they have, and the cam gear they have. The electronics I wouldnt trust for shit, but other than that you should keep trying to contact the seller which is on ebay I believe you said...go thew paypal or ebay open a case. Once you open one than everything will be fine either you get money back or another to replace it which ever you two deside.

Hibolt
06-03-2010, 03:50 PM

thats pretty messed up that they havent contacted you... but I have bought the same pair of obx ignition coils because I had a p0300 I installed it and the DTC went away I have those same ignition coils for a little over a year now and they haven't melted at all... you must have had something we call in quality control as "the one that got away"

mrg7243
06-03-2010, 03:58 PM
yeah it prbably was, im thinking it might ave been something with the boot part, as the other day i took the boot off both and the tops looked clean, so im going to use some stock boots with them and see what happens, if not i got 2 sets of back up coils.

Hibolt
06-03-2010, 04:12 PM
yeah it prbably was, im thinking it might ave been something with the boot part, as the other day i took the boot off both and the tops looked clean, so im going to use some stock boots with them and see what happens, if not i got 2 sets of back up coils.

yeah give that a try I hope it works out! good luck!

Sphinx
06-04-2010, 12:06 AM
My coils say "STi" on them ... thought that was odd.

IVORY_G
06-13-2010, 12:40 PM
^Yeah I rememer Marc saying he bought some coils that were better than OEM that were STi's, it was in his build thread if I remember correctly.

Sphinx
06-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I really wish I knew for sure what the previous owner had done to it. One owner since it was new according to Carfax. It sure would make catching up on maintenance easier!

00GalantX
07-16-2010, 09:02 PM
I have to try these coils cause OEM keep burning out every 6 or 7 months at $70 bucks each.....these obx seem like a good deal, but they might be too good to be true. I'll let yall know about the results pro....cons....good....bad.