PDA

View Full Version : Key Stuck in Ignition

shrav
02-25-2003, 09:36 PM
I have a 97 Galant (Automatic transmission) and key is stuck in accessory position. I can start and stop the car with out any problems, but cannot remove the key out of it. Tried moving the gear, that didn't help. Can anybody help me with this. Thanks

BEAST
02-25-2003, 09:38 PM
Just make sure that you are fully in park. Turn the wheel a little while pulling and maybe wiggle it a lot. Just throwing out ideas.

Tiptronic
02-25-2003, 09:42 PM
when its in park, try pressing the brake as far as you can. you should here a click in the gearshift. my wife has the same problem in her 96. i think its a safety thing. thats all i can think of

manybrews
02-25-2003, 10:14 PM
you have a sticking ignition interlock cable.

it needs to be either 1)adjusted, 2)lubricated, or 3){cough} removed.

Kain
02-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I think there was a TSB about that. It's a problem with a bushing in the shifter or some such. But, yeah. Just play with it a bit and it'll eventually "click" and let you take your key out. Unfortunately it wasn't quite widespread or dangerous enough for Mitsubishi to do a recall.

MidNightRacing
02-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Hey I had a similar problem wit an old mini van that was just sitting in the garage (oddly there was a mitsubishi engine in there) It was a Plymoth . I tryed to lube it, but didn't work. So I took a plier and tried for days to pull it out (junk car so really didn't matter if it got damaged)
One day I was pulling it then bam!!! And I fell on my ass :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: And the key was out.

Strahan
02-26-2003, 10:52 PM
I had the opposite problem with an old Datsun pickup. You could take the key out while running anytime you wanted hehe.

BEAST
02-27-2003, 01:19 AM
I had the opposite problem with an old Datsun pickup. You could take the key out while running anytime you wanted hehe.
Yea, thats how most old cars used to be. You could take the key out of the ignition while on the highway and throw it out the window and still be goin. You'll have a hard time shutting it off though. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif