PDA

View Full Version : Manual swap wiring. Attn: Stewi and Goosey

WhiteGalant
01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
First off car is an 03. I have everything done and in the car, clutch bled all that good stuff. Now Im just trying to get the car to start... I connected pins 9+10 on the black harness ( the harness that connected to the gear selector on the auto trans). I can turn the key and hear the starter engage? I guess thats the best way to describe it, what im saying is I can hear the gear on the starter pop out and engage with the flywheel, but its not cranking at all.
Any suggestions you guys? Maybe u can point out a good diagram for the harness just to make sure i have it hooked up right.

Thanks

Fixt^^^

Second question, dont really know how to explain it but ill give it a shot. Basically it is really difficult to shift. The car will go, and stay in gear but it feels like there is alot of friction from the cables, they are brand new from the dealer so i have no clue why. The back and forth motion on the shifter is fine, but the side to side motion is horrible! 1st to 2nd gear are fine, but going from 2nd to third is very difficult. The side to side motion is so bad that the shifter will not center itself, it will stay to either left or right when not engaged into a gear. I checked to see if the shifter base was tightened onto the pivot ball on the shift knob too tight but it was not, it moves freely with out the cables attached, as well as i checked the trans side too, the gear selector levers are very easy to move.

Any suggestions?

WhiteGalant
01-06-2010, 04:53 PM
okie dokie call me a jackass lol

It just got dark here and i looked back and my reverse lights were on... Lol wrong pins :p

Stewi
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Thats what I was just gonna say......

DryBear
01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Try adjusting the tension in the bolt/nut that connects to the left-hand cable, marked 24597D in the diagram below:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/DryBear/8G%20Manual%20Swap%20Pics/22-200ShifterLinkage.gif

Another thing to try is free the cables from the plastic shifter base - pull them up from the notch, and push them forward towards the firewall, and try how that feels.

WhiteGalant
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Ok well i tried moving the shifter cables forward, even worse lol. Its not the tensioning bolt because and as soon as i disconnect the cable the shifter moves freely. I think its just the cable, maybe the grease needs to loosen up?

DryBear
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Try unhooking the cables from the transmission, but leave them in place - see if you can still move the shifter freely - cable might be pinched somewhere behind the tranny.

Stewi
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Do you have a 4 cylinder car or a V6?

Where did you get the bracket that holds the he cables to the tranny?

03-Galant-ES
01-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I know this is an old question, but is there an 03 cel fix yet? And would swapping ecu with eclipse or evo get rid of the cel as they would recognize the tranny?

WhiteGalant
01-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Do you have a 4 cylinder car or a V6?

Where did you get the bracket that holds the he cables to the tranny?

It is a 4 cyl the bracket that holds the cables was the one that was on there when I got the transmission.

And to 03 galant I'm gonna look into swapping in the evo 8 ecu and gettin 2.0 tactrix cable and loading a new rom.

DryBear
01-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I know this is an old question, but is there an 03 cel fix yet? And would swapping ecu with eclipse or evo get rid of the cel as they would recognize the tranny?

Yeah, I gave up on trying to find a "fix" - best bet is to do the ECU swap.

Stewi
01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
The cables must be crossed, or on the wrong levers. Check to make sure they are hooked up right, and when I say crossed I mean from the shifter inside they are twisted under the dash before they get thru the firewall. The cables themselves are binding. How does it feel without the car running, is it still difficult? If it is, it has to be the cables. Bad trans would only be bad with the car running, it would be ok with the car off and nothing spinning.

WhiteGalant
01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I'll take a look they may be crossed I'll check it out and make sure

Shadow19
01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Three things that come to mind

1. Cables are twisted
2. Cables are routed at too sharp of a bend somewhere
3. The cable inside the shielding is bent.

Good luck...

QnzMostWanted
01-08-2010, 10:06 AM
the shifter cable bracket on teh transmission might be bent, its a common case, if its not in the correct position u will have difficulty shifting

g-ride
05-08-2010, 10:20 AM
okay i encountered this same problem and i fixed it by spraying the shift levers on the tranny itself with white lithium grease...any lubricating agent will probably do the job..

also i noticed the longer you drive the car the better the shifting becomes, mine was real notchy at first and its been about 2 months since my swap now and i have no difficulty whatsoever anymore.

in regards to the ecu swap i was wondering which eclipse ecu fits the 8g? im planning on turboing my car this summer and i wanted to get that all straightened out before i need to have it tuned

WhiteGalant
05-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Found out it was the trans. Got my second one in the car and everything is 10x better.