PDA

View Full Version : what to do

galantdriver1036
01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
im running into a little problem...i bought my galant last year with 119k miles, the previous owner put burn holes into the interior and im sure she didnt do a trans fluid change at 60k as well as routine oil changes. im pretty sure the timing belt was never changed and the water pump wasnt either. i put an intake, rims and other small things into the car and it now has 150,xxx miles. I am just now wanting to get serious with upgrades including 5spd swap, maybe 3.5 swap (mine is the 3.0 by the way) or just turbo my current motor. im really all over the place with ideas. i want about 350-400 hp but i want to do it right and safe. i want some advice as to weather i should keep my car the way it is now and start upgrading, buy a lower milage 8g v6 and upgrade that, or buy an 8g with the 4g64 and do an evo head or full 4g63 swap, im looking for what you guys would suggest as far as which route you would go with upgrading im fairly new to modding but have some knowledge but any advice will help thanks guys

galantdriver1036
01-11-2010, 11:25 PM
nothing? i thought i would get atleast one response fairly quick

G-spot
01-11-2010, 11:40 PM
What you're planning and the lack of knowledge of doing such planning is what keeping others from wasting their precious bandwidth explaining it to you. Other than that, go research it on your own time many others have done the same so you are no different.

turbo freak
01-12-2010, 12:22 AM
**ass hole alert**
not everyone is a mechanical expert here.
but in my opinion, the 5 speed swap, and a full exhaust system is as far as i would go. it just depends on how deep ur pockets are. going turbo on a v6 is expensive and requires alot of custom work.

http://tearstone.com/shop/2000-2005-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Turbo-Kit.html?ac=0

the link will give u an idea of wat is needed.

and as far as the 4g swap, if this car is going to be a daily driver, i wouldnt do the 4g swap. u will for sure encounter reliabilty issues that seem to be never ending.

Galant306m
01-12-2010, 12:38 AM
**ass hole alert**
not everyone is a mechanical expert here.
but in my opinion, the 5 speed swap, and a full exhaust system is as far as i would go. it just depends on how deep ur pockets are. going turbo on a v6 is expensive and requires alot of custom work.

http://tearstone.com/shop/2000-2005-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Turbo-Kit.html?ac=0

the link will give u an idea of wat is needed.

and as far as the 4g swap, if this car is going to be a daily driver, i wouldnt do the 4g swap. u will for sure encounter reliabilty issues that seem to be never ending.

Wow way to get off on the right foot after 4 posts.

Lets see its your car you're doing the planing you tell us what you want to do and we will guide you from there. If you are not a mechanical expert then i think you should not be trying to do a 2.4 evo head since you need some mechanical ability.

As far as reliability if you are making 350-400 hp you are never going to have a car that is reliable, seriously if you want a car with that much power and is reliable you are never going to find it. I would shoot lower on your numbers too it will be hard to make that with out dropping a lot of money into a motor to make it be able to handle that on a everyday basis.

Oh and this has been discussed i don't mind helping people who have clearly searched but if you are to lazy to do so then, you are never going to get the answer that you are looking for cause the people who know the answer have already searched to find it or they have searched did not find it and then asked.

Reelax
01-12-2010, 12:41 PM
im running into a little problem...i bought my galant last year with 119k miles, the previous owner put burn holes into the interior and im sure she didnt do a trans fluid change at 60k as well as routine oil changes. im pretty sure the timing belt was never changed and the water pump wasnt either. i put an intake, rims and other small things into the car and it now has 150,xxx miles. I am just now wanting to get serious with upgrades including 5spd swap, maybe 3.5 swap (mine is the 3.0 by the way) or just turbo my current motor. im really all over the place with ideas. i want about 350-400 hp but i want to do it right and safe. i want some advice as to weather i should keep my car the way it is now and start upgrading, buy a lower milage 8g v6 and upgrade that, or buy an 8g with the 4g64 and do an evo head or full 4g63 swap, im looking for what you guys would suggest as far as which route you would go with upgrading im fairly new to modding but have some knowledge but any advice will help thanks guys

what is your budget?

03-Galant-ES
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Wow way to get off on the right foot after 4 posts.

Lets see its your car you're doing the planing you tell us what you want to do and we will guide you from there. If you are not a mechanical expert then i think you should not be trying to do a 2.4 evo head since you need some mechanical ability.

As far as reliability if you are making 350-400 hp you are never going to have a car that is reliable, seriously if you want a car with that much power and is reliable you are never going to find it. I would shoot lower on your numbers too it will be hard to make that with out dropping a lot of money into a motor to make it be able to handle that on a everyday basis.

Oh and this has been discussed i don't mind helping people who have clearly searched but if you are to lazy to do so then, you are never going to get the answer that you are looking for cause the people who know the answer have already searched to find it or they have searched did not find it and then asked.

I will have to disagree with one point 350-400 hp can be made reliably, but expensively and like you said not on a daily. These cars are fwd and become a handful after a certain amount of power. A cheap route is not one the OP should be looking at at all right now.

To the OP before you start looking at some horses on your car decide which route you are going. If you are keeping your current engine do some standard maintenance. If you are doing a 3.5 or a 3.8L swap then start researching and looking for engines in good condition for the swap. Rebuild the engines and start making plans to put some power down.

All of the information is here and we wont help you without you helping yourself.

galantdriver1036
01-12-2010, 03:46 PM
well thank you everybody besides g-spot for your opinions. reelax i dont exactly have a budget seeing as which ever way i decide to go i will buy parts as i get the money and it can take as long as it has to. for those of you like g-spot who think im asking for handouts and "wasting precious bandwith" i would like you to know im not asking how to do the swaps im asking people who have experience which route would be more beneficial there are threads about all of them individualy but i didnt find any with all of them together as a comparison

Galant Evolution
01-12-2010, 03:59 PM
well thank you everybody besides g-spot for your opinions. reelax i dont exactly have a budget seeing as which ever way i decide to go i will buy parts as i get the money and it can take as long as it has to. for those of you like g-spot who think im asking for handouts and "wasting precious bandwith" i would like you to know im not asking how to do the swaps im asking people who have experience which route would be more beneficial there are threads about all of them individualy but i didnt find any with all of them together as a comparison

G-spot was just trying to say to use the search tool, do some research and plan an attack! lots of new members (i am guilty of it too sometimes) have not used the search tool. and sometimes its aggravating to people who have been here a while who keep saying the same thing, dont take it personal. Reelax is a huge help, he helped me realize i needed to plan my buid better as well and know what i want, and my budget etc. Its all up to you bro its whatever you like, this site is awesome bro packed with endless info and ideas! try a couple searches you wont be dissapointed! also in the "how-to" section there are awesome walk-throughs on all types of mods!

03-Galant-ES
01-12-2010, 04:42 PM

If you are going a bit at a time plan what you are looking to do. The power you arte looking to put down can be done by the 2.4, 3.0, 3.5 and the 3.8 so now its which do you prefer and dont say cheapest. This is a lot of work, money, time, sweat, blood and tears. Just ask Stewi who is easily over 400 hp with his 4 cyl. There is someone on Club 3G making 504 hp with a dohc kia head out of his 2.4. Then there is TJ who is putting down 530 with his 3.0 and I am sure that the 3.5 and 3.8 can put down similar or more power with a nice torque number to boot, but all this will cost money and depend on you what do you want your car to be. I would say aim for like 250 or something in that mark and start building your engine to manage that.

turbo freak
01-12-2010, 11:33 PM
sorry guys. been on other forums too much, where bashing other members was acceptable. and obviously im a noob here. so im sorry