PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tein Basic Coil-Overs

blue8g
01-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I may be picking up a set of these and I want to know, what's the lowest you can go on them?

RAZ_76
01-13-2010, 04:41 PM
As low as any coil overs, the basic part doesn't refer to that. My 02 Galant with megan coil overs

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/RAZ_76/SLAMMED014-1.jpg

blue8g
01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
As low as any coil overs, the basic part doesn't refer to that. My 02 Galant with megan coil overs

thanks, i just feel like i remember seeing something that said tein's in general for the 3g/8g don't go as low as others......and that's a dang sexy stance^

stvn_mj
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
I think it's like -3". Thats what I read. Im saving for CO's too Ksports to be exact.

RAZ_76
01-13-2010, 04:56 PM
......and that's a dang sexy stance^

It was. Some d bag bough that car and wrecked it, looks like most galants you see on the road these days, not the fixed up ones of course.

pinoyesv6
01-13-2010, 05:05 PM
2.6" according to tein.

4g63lover
01-13-2010, 06:04 PM
The Teins dont drop as low as the megans and ksports because the teins ride height adjustment is on the spring and not the mount like the other brands.

Reelax
01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
The Teins dont drop as low as the megans and ksports because the teins ride height adjustment is on the spring and not the mount like the other brands.

that's not technically correct. the TEIN coilovers in the their lineup available for our platform (BASIC, SS, SS-P) use a threaded spring perch/locking collar to adjust ride height. the next step up in their line (FLEX) is not available for our platform, but uses the actual damper mount as a threaded perch and adjusts ride height by lowering the entire damper/spring assembly allowing spring preload to be set exactly the same at all ride heights. most of the other coilovers availble for the 8G use this same method. the system that the BASIC/SS/SS-P increases preload as you raise and decreases as you lower. the sweet spot for these coilovers is actually in the lower half of available ride hegith adjustment. the TEINS do actually offer about 3.5" of lowering at the bottom of the threading compared to factory suspension, but TEIN only claims around 2.5" max lowering to be conservative. 3.5" is about the same max range as the other coilovers available... you cannot "add" the available threads of the lower damper mount to the available threads of the spring perch because at some point if you try to lower using both, the lower perch mount and threaded spring perch will contact and "squeeze" the tie end mount collar at final limit of lowering.

blue8g
01-13-2010, 06:35 PM
ooooh dang good write-up, so what i got out of that is..i'll be able to go nice and low like raz was, and it'll actually be well set-up handling/ride wise?

4g63lover
01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
that's not technically correct. the TEIN coilovers in the their lineup available for our platform (BASIC, SS, SS-P) use a threaded spring perch/locking collar to adjust ride height. the next step up in their line (FLEX) is not available for our platform, but uses the actual damper mount as a threaded perch and adjusts ride height by lowering the entire damper/spring assembly allowing spring preload to be set exactly the same at all ride heights. most of the other coilovers availble for the 8G use this same method. the system that the BASIC/SS/SS-P increases preload as you raise and decreases as you lower. the sweet spot for these coilovers is actually in the lower half of available ride hegith adjustment. the TEINS do actually offer about 3.5" of lowering at the bottom of the threading compared to factory suspension, but TEIN only claims around 2.5" max lowering to be conservative. 3.5" is about the same max range as the other coilovers available... you cannot "add" the available threads of the lower damper mount to the available threads of the spring perch because at some point if you try to lower using both, the lower perch mount and threaded spring perch will contact and "squeeze" the tie end mount collar at final limit of lowering.

I was just stating from what I see. Dave is on Megans and is about as low as me with way more adjustment to go.

RedGalant2k1
01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
ooooh dang good write-up, so what i got out of that is..i'll be able to go nice and low like raz was, and it'll actually be well set-up handling/ride wise?

You won't want to drive it THAT low though, trust me. Clearance on the front crossmember is garbage even at my ride height, and I got the car lowered only 1" - 1.5" from stock. I still got another 1.5" to go too.

I was just stating from what I see. Dave is on Megans and is about as low as me with way more adjustment to go.

Indeed. I could add another 1"-1.5" of slammage if I wanted to. But then I would be running -3 degrees of camber in the rear that would need correcting immediately.

blue8g
01-13-2010, 07:35 PM
idk i love slammed......i'm considering buying another oil pan and bracing it up to prepare lol

RedGalant2k1
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Here is my G (which you saw once up in WI on the streets) if you remember. I was behind Mitch and Travis.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/RedGalant2k1/TG2k2/Picture047-1.jpg

I got at least another 1.5" to go. And I'm running larger tires than Ray was on his (235/35R19). If I wasn't driving it as a daily still I'd slam it all the way too.

blue8g
01-13-2010, 07:54 PM
i do remember seeing y'all! you should have stuck around for our lil 'meet' lol

i'm assuming you have it so front and rear are even?

RAZ_76
01-13-2010, 08:59 PM

That was not my daily driver and never drove it on the street that way. I did that simply to see how low I can go with them and then raised it back to driving range.

blue8g
01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/682/dsc1809m.jpg

if this guy can daily that^ i want to try what you posted lol

and yes that is daily driven......and turboed

4g63lover
01-13-2010, 09:25 PM
if this guy can daily that^ i want to try what you posted lol

and yes that is daily driven......and turboed

That fit has more clearance than it looks. The body might be on te floor but the subframe and crossmembers are probably not. The way ray's set-up was Galants would bottom out on EVERYTHING. There's a TGCIL member (Maverick) who was only a little bit lower than me on Arospeed coilover sleeves and DESTROYED his exhaust a few times. My car slaps the pan from time to time at my height. If you put a front lip, skirts, and a rear valance would give you that slammed look as long as there is no gap between the fender and tire IMO.

blue8g
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
That fit has more clearance than it looks. The body might be on te floor but the subframe and crossmembers are probably not. The way ray's set-up was Galants would bottom out on EVERYTHING. There's a TGCIL member (Maverick) who was only a little bit lower than me on Arospeed coilover sleeves and DESTROYED his exhaust a few times. My car slaps the pan from time to time at my height. If you put a front lip, skirts, and a rear valance would give you that slammed look as long as there is no gap between the fender and tire IMO.

jigz i know it's hard to believe but his rear subframe and pan are that low too, he has posted pics of them.......i'll dig em up

and yeah i just want to tuck a lil tire nothing crazy like that^ lol

Reelax
01-13-2010, 11:57 PM

i still have .5"-1" of threads on my perch collars before i get to the bottom... my car is tucking tire tops about 2.5"-2.75" lower than stock.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/MOD08a2.jpg

think about the difference in the way the ride height is adjusted between the SS-P that i have and the MEGAN coilovers. to lower on the MEGANS, you rotate the entire damper which is threaded into the bottom mount. as it goes lower mount moves up on the threads. on the SS-P's you lower the spring perch, the lower mount is part of the damper, but the lowest you can go is the end of the threads. of course if you compress the spring (increase preload) on the MEGANs, you can gain some more threads to go lower, but you sacrifice ride quality. on the TEIN's, the lower you go actually unloads the springs (this is why it is much easier to turn the perches when you lower than when you raise).

greddy
01-14-2010, 12:37 AM
I have no fender gap at all right now, but I'm not lowered all the way on megans because I have fender flares, which shrink the fender gap without having to lower as much, like jigz said, you will tear up your exhaust if you drive that low, I have another half inch I can go up front and a ton more out back, and I daily my car, rain snow sleet hail whatever, you will scratch your subframe and exhaust all the time, plus my front lip gets scratched to shit.

Reelax
01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
yes, that's one thing about slamming, when i had my aftermarket exhaust in the stock location (pre-kit), i beveled the crap out of my exhaust tip (like half of it was scraped off) and even scraped the bottom of the muffler (both were THERMAL R&D on custom catback). i now don't have that problem at the same ride height since my new exhaust is actually higher than stock exhaust was; my mufflers are mounted higher and are smaller, and the bottom of my tips are basically flush to where the bottom of the OE bumper would sit. if you are thinking of slamming your car it is imperative that you keep the piping over the rear cross member because this is the lowest part of the rear of our cars and if anying is going to touch down in the rear, it will be that or the tips.

comparo:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/P0001371-2.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/tails.jpg
old exhaust configuration.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/rear1.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/underback1.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/canons110905.jpg
new exhaust configuration. notice that no part of the new exhaust is lower than the rear crossmember.

Mike_ODell
03-07-2010, 09:27 AM
i still have .5"-1" of threads on my perch collars before i get to the bottom... my car is tucking tire tops about 2.5"-2.75" lower than stock.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/MOD08a2.jpg

think about the difference in the way the ride height is adjusted between the SS-P that i have and the MEGAN coilovers. to lower on the MEGANS, you rotate the entire damper which is threaded into the bottom mount. as it goes lower mount moves up on the threads. on the SS-P's you lower the spring perch, the lower mount is part of the damper, but the lowest you can go is the end of the threads. of course if you compress the spring (increase preload) on the MEGANs, you can gain some more threads to go lower, but you sacrifice ride quality. on the TEIN's, the lower you go actually unloads the springs (this is why it is much easier to turn the perches when you lower than when you raise).

dude is touching himself while looking at your car...hahaha

Da_Prodigy
03-07-2010, 11:16 AM
dude is touching himself while looking at your car...hahaha

lmao didn't even notice till now

E_Emerson88
03-29-2010, 12:18 PM
thanks for the info guys. this is very helpful