PDA

View Full Version : Searched but still confused

732Galant
01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Let me preface this by saying I have a 00' i4 with roughly 183,000. I got an oil change on Friday. After the oil change I noticed my car had more than usual white exhaust smoke than previously (pre oil change). Car runs fine, I can smell coolant but I have for awhile, leak on the bottom that Ive never gotten around to fixing. Car doesn't overheat though its more of a random few drips. Let me repeat, never overheats. The smoke comes mostly at idle and it is cold here so Im attributing some of it to that but I am a bit concerned.

G-spot
01-18-2010, 09:39 AM
white smoke

- cat converter not heating up all the way (cold day), expect a CEL to light soon (P04xx). May be a clog in the cat pipes or improper o2 sensor readings.

As forthe leaks, when was your recent waterpump change?

732Galant
01-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Water pump was changed when I did the timing belt, last year, about 25k ago. The radiator was installed by a friend and the bottom hose is loose. I just havent gotten around to having it fixed with work and stuff. I check the coolant levels and stuff and make sure its where it needs to be though. It was unseasonably warm today and there was no smoke. I guess it was just the cold weather yesterday mixed with the rain making it more visible.