PDA

View Full Version : Smelling Like Oil!!! Please give advice!!

kglenn
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
So I've noticed lately that my car has been smelling like oil pretty badly if it runs for more than 5 mins. So i cleaned the valve cover up real good and ran it down the block and back come to find out that the two bottom bolts on the front valve cover are leaking right where the seals is. So Im wanting to do a Tune-up since I have to take the valve cover off to replace the seals. Should I upgrade to the Iridium plugs and wires im sitting on the Platinums right now. Is there that much of a difference in the two and anyone know a good site to get the plugs and wires off of for cheaper than stores

SPD_FRK
01-28-2010, 08:09 PM
If you want to do it right, and plan to upgrade (like I assume you will once out here with myself and Marc), check Ebay for a set of the 10.5mm plug wires which can be had for about $60. The plugs I believe should be fine, I think I have a set of G-Grove NGKs sitting here that I had used (very little lol).

The valve cover leak could be a good indicator that the valve cover gaskets need to be changed at this point. I would rather see the gaskets replaced before you try tightening up the bolts to avoid "pinching" the gasket and making an indentation on the valve cover itself where the bolt goes through.

pinoyesv6
01-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I've never had a problem with my NGK IX Iridium plugs and my NGK Wire Set. Its a great deal since u can get all of it for less than $100.

kglenn
01-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Well if you have the Wires sitting around not being used then of course I'll take them off your hands, LOL. I'll probally have you help me with the tune-up. the bad thing is that I did a tune-up a little over a year ago and the seal is already leaking. so do you think it would be safe If i changed just the seals before I came and then Did the plugs and wires once I got there? other than the smell the car runs great!

SPD_FRK
01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Well if you have the Wires sitting around not being used then of course I'll take them off your hands, LOL. I'll probally have you help me with the tune-up. the bad thing is that I did a tune-up a little over a year ago and the seal is already leaking. so do you think it would be safe If i changed just the seals before I came and then Did the plugs and wires once I got there? other than the smell the car runs great!

I already sold the plug wires a while ago lol. Did you replace the valve voer gaskets last year at all? You can do the stuff now or after you get out here if you aren't driving it up this way from out there.

kglenn
01-28-2010, 09:37 PM
I did all the gasket seals,plugs and wires, Thats why I didn't know why the fucking seal was leaking already!

WhiteGalant
01-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Did you over torque the valve cover bolts? The valve cover is so thin it will easily bend etc. causing the leak.

kamenfaiz
01-28-2010, 11:25 PM
If you need any parts pm me