PDA

View Full Version : My galant starts when it wants to

TOPGONZ
02-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi folks,

My 2000 4banger Galant starts when it wants to. Every now and then we turn the key and nothing happens. We've already had the ignition switch in the steering column replaced and we still have this problem. If we wait a while, like several hours later and turn the key it starts right up. Even though nothing was done during that time frame. We simply tried again several hours later and it started right up. It's been suggested to me that the problem is probably the contacts.
The problem seemed to have stopped for about 3 months. We were convinced that the problem lay somewhere with the security alarm because when I played with the remote, turning the alarm off and on seemed to correct the problem and it started right up. But now the problem is back and playing with the alarm remote didn't help. We've been having a lot of wet rainy weather lately and I'm thinking that's probably why the problem has returned. So I was probably told right when it was suggested the contacts were the problem.
I've got my can of WD40 all shook up and primed with my finger on the button. But someone please tell me where in the world are these contacts everyone keeps telling me about?

Regards,
Steve

polishmafia
02-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Welcome to TGC.

Are you using the original key, a dealer made key, or an aftermarket key?

What you mentioned that you think the problem involves the factory alarm, plus the other symptoms, the first thing that popped into my head is the security system and the immobilizer.

polishmafia
02-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Also, I moved this thread to the 8G Problem Reports section.

bronxbombr
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
starter?????