PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Recommendations, please?

LoneWolf
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi everyone -

I am due for a Timing Belt replacement in about a week's time, and I was hoping you could help out in choosing the best timing belt replacement on a budget? :orangesighw: This will be my first Timing Belt replacement, so I am hoping

- Generally, how much on average is a 7G Timing Belt? (use whatever currency you fancy, I will just convert them to my currency)
- What are the parts that I should buy when replacing it? Is it just the Timing Belt?
- How much difference is OEM compared to aftermarket Timing Belts in terms of durability & longevity?

I'm hoping for any feedback.
Thank you very much, kind sirs and ma'ams. :051:

Regards,
Jeff

The Kent
02-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Good belt is Gatorback belt which is about $40. You should replace that balance shaft belt too and the timing tensioner and balance belt tensioner.

LoneWolf
02-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks bro The Kent.. Do you have a list of parts I need to replace?

starh4x
04-21-2010, 02:45 AM
aftermarket belt is about 80 bux for my 7g vr4 and genuine mitsi belt is about 240.

keith6110
04-21-2010, 06:33 AM
get a gates belt from www.rockauto.com I had ordered 2 sets. They are really good belts and they have been recommended to me by multiple people with a turbo setup.

They have a timing belt kit and i believe its around $60 shipped. ($50 + whatever shipping is). It comes with one tensioner pulley and one idler pulley. just add to cart and you'll have it early next week or maybe even saturday.

tamim13
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Since you're getting it to Philippines, Rockauto will cost you about $50 for shipping alone. You should try to buy it from there. The parts you would need for just the timing belt are -
* 1 Timing Belt
* 1 Bal. Shaft Belt
* 1 Tensioner
* 1 Idler Bearing
* 1 B/Shaft Tensioner

But if you are in there the recommended parts to change are -

* timing belt
* balance shaft belt
* water pump
* automatic tensioner (hydraulic)
* tensioner (roller for the tensioner assembly)
* timing belt idler/roller
* balance shaft tensioner (roller)
* all drive belts
* valve cover gasket set including tube seals
* front cam and crank seals plus balance and oil pump seals

All those come off, and then you don't have to worry about them for a while, I believe.

Most of the time aftermarket companies like Bando and Gates are the guys that make the OEM belts for Mitsu/Honda etc, I believe. So if you buy them, they will be cheaper and of the same quality as OEM. GMB makes pretty good water pumps and are a lot cheaper than the OEM ones.