PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Hole

tdybear09
02-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Hey my gastank has a hole in it from heat off the exhaust, what happen was the gasket near the tank and the rear suspension blew out. So it was throwing hot exhaust on the tank and melted a little pen hole in it. Can I use the stuff at oreillys that patches the tank with fiberglass and epoxy? Or do you guys suggest a new tank? I mean would the patch hold for long.

Jeffylou87
02-11-2010, 07:06 AM
That sounds very unsafe.. Not sure about patching it.. you can probably get a cheap one from a junk yard..

Stewi
02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
If there is no gas left in the tank, and you sand about 2" around the hole really good, clean it with alcohol really good, you should be able to JB weld it and be OK for a long time. You can do all that for about $20 and maybe an hours worth of work. Just let the JB weld cure for about 12-24 hours before you put gas in the tank.

As Jeff said above, a used tank can be had cheap, but not sure if you have the resources available suck as tools, jacks, etc to make it happen. I wouldnt mess with those fiberglass patch things from autozone, JB weld dries to a much harder material than fiberglass.

tdybear09
02-13-2010, 04:05 AM
ok thanks guys, the junkyard near my city punctures all of the gas tanks that come in the place. They told me it was becuse of safety reasons. But I will try jb weld, but my concern with that is will the gas eat though the Jb weld?