PDA

View Full Version : Engine cleaning

hunterclavel
02-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Engine cleaning has any body tried it if so what is the process

Gorgishmork
02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
What you you mean? A home remedy of Seafoam? Or are you talking about a stripped down project, bare block and heads?

hunterclavel
02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Im talking about the engine bay

RAZ_76
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Cover the intake if you have open filter and just spray it with engine de-greaser, use a brush and then rinse. Nothing to it.

DOHCstunr
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Go to the autoparts store and get a large can of their CHEAPEST aerosol tire shine. HAS to be aerosol.

Spray down your ENTIRE engine bay. i mean every single square inch of wiring harness, piping, metal, it doesn't matter. every square inch from every angle. Use the ENTIRE can.
Until your engine bay looks like its 4" deep in snow. Belts, alternator,distributor, doesn't matter. EVERYTHING.

Once its all on there, wait for the foam to dissolve on its own, then immediately hop in your car and drive straight to the do it yourself car wash bay at your nearest car wash.

Pop your hood and pressure wash the shit out of it with soap and water. you can use the degreaser if you like but at this point its not necessary.

Blast every square inch of yoru engine bay, wires, hoses, belts, alternator whatever. (your engine needs to be hot when you do this step)

Once its done just drive home hard to evaporate all of the water. when you get home pop the hood and admire your engine bay.
It should look brand spanking new. If for any reason there are any water spots on the painted surfaces, just use a microfiber towel and some detail spray. they will wipe right off.

It won't be dripping with silicone or anything. all of your plastics will look factory new, your hoses will look new, your metal will have a nice soft gloss.

Basically how this works is the foaming aerosol tire shine has surfactants in it that will emulsify all of the dirt oil and grime and lift it off the surface. Silicone will remain on the surface, and the dirt will float on top of it.
when you pressure wash it you will spray the dirt off(that no longer has a bond because of the silicone) the dirt rinses off easily, and of course all of the excess silicone will be rinsed off as well.

Once you are done all of the dry plastics will now be treated and reconditioned. your engine will look awesome, and for quite a while any new dirt will be repelled.

mrg7243
02-11-2010, 01:24 PM
BUt what about the high pressure thats not good on the electrical and connections,

when covering the filter get a gallon size ziploc baggie and rubber band it and duct tape it

DOHCstunr
02-11-2010, 01:38 PM
BUt what about the high pressure thats not good on the electrical and connections,

when covering the filter get a gallon size ziploc baggie and rubber band it and duct tape it

Every electrical connection that can be negatively effected by moisture has a rubber gasket seal in it. No moisture is going to get into your wiring. So blast away.
Engineers put the gaskets in there for a reason. There is no need to cover your filter. Do it if you want, but to ome its a waste of time. Obviously you don't want to blast away at the filter, but it they get wet all the time, so its not going to ruin it if you do spray it.

mrg7243
02-11-2010, 02:58 PM
even with an open air filter??

WhiteGalant
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I sprayed down my bay once and it wouldent start, had to let it sit for a few then it started.

mrg7243
02-11-2010, 03:08 PM
thats why I wouldnt do a high pressure wash, a garden hose with a nozzle might be perfect

02redgalant
02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
nice DOHC imma try that out

03-Galant-ES
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I may be meticulous but I use a toothbrush with super clean and a hose.

mrg7243
02-11-2010, 04:01 PM
neat freak????? jk jk lol

Da_Prodigy
02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
don't worry i also used a toothbrush to clean my car when i 1st got it but that was only cuz i could tell the previous owner had neglected for it like 8yrs; oil, coolant and who knows what else was splattered all around the engine bay

mrg7243
02-11-2010, 04:51 PM
haha mines the same but its too damn cold to clean it

Da_Prodigy
02-11-2010, 05:53 PM
yea usually only clean it once a year during the summer

johnygezony
02-11-2010, 07:26 PM
totally doing that when the snow melts

Tragic
02-13-2010, 07:23 PM
totally doing that when the snow melts

Definitely!

KaziKai
02-14-2010, 03:53 AM
Waiting for spring to come around.. an then Im going military style! Armed with a ToothBrush, Degreaser, Garden Hose, Garden sprayer, towel, time, in the garage, and loud Music!!!!

Bloody Arro
02-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Go to the autoparts store and get a large can of their CHEAPEST aerosol tire shine. HAS to be aerosol.

Spray down your ENTIRE engine bay. i mean every single square inch of wiring harness, piping, metal, it doesn't matter. every square inch from every angle. Use the ENTIRE can.
Until your engine bay looks like its 4" deep in snow. Belts, alternator,distributor, doesn't matter. EVERYTHING.

Once its all on there, wait for the foam to dissolve on its own, then immediately hop in your car and drive straight to the do it yourself car wash bay at your nearest car wash.

Pop your hood and pressure wash the shit out of it with soap and water. you can use the degreaser if you like but at this point its not necessary.

Blast every square inch of yoru engine bay, wires, hoses, belts, alternator whatever. (your engine needs to be hot when you do this step)

Once its done just drive home hard to evaporate all of the water. when you get home pop the hood and admire your engine bay.
It should look brand spanking new. If for any reason there are any water spots on the painted surfaces, just use a microfiber towel and some detail spray. they will wipe right off.

It won't be dripping with silicone or anything. all of your plastics will look factory new, your hoses will look new, your metal will have a nice soft gloss.

Basically how this works is the foaming aerosol tire shine has surfactants in it that will emulsify all of the dirt oil and grime and lift it off the surface. Silicone will remain on the surface, and the dirt will float on top of it.
when you pressure wash it you will spray the dirt off(that no longer has a bond because of the silicone) the dirt rinses off easily, and of course all of the excess silicone will be rinsed off as well.

Once you are done all of the dry plastics will now be treated and reconditioned. your engine will look awesome, and for quite a while any new dirt will be repelled.

This goes against EVERYTHING that I have been told. I'd like to see pics of your before, 2 durings (one with the "4" deep snow", and one of power washing the bay), and one after before I recommend anyone to do this.

Then again, this IS just me.

On a side note, I was told to do it when your engine is hot and to use easy off oven cleaner and spray it down with a water hose then dry it off. I've seen this guys bay and it is CLEAN.

Drucru22
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I've seen this done before in person, but I always wondered if spraying water on a warmed engine would crack or warp hot engine parts like headers etc.

starh4x
03-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Cover the intake if you have open filter and just spray it with engine de-greaser, use a brush and then rinse. Nothing to it.

do what raz said this is the proper way to clean an engine bay.
I've seen the car groomers at work do this alot.

02redgalant
03-12-2010, 01:45 PM

did this method my Engine Bay looks new..no problems with starting the car, or anything

E_Emerson88
03-18-2010, 05:28 PM
okay i did this today cuz i was bored and for you who dont trust our senior members here you are.

before:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/SexyAssMilkshake/My%20Galant/IMG00064-20100318-1339.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/SexyAssMilkshake/My%20Galant/IMG00065-20100318-1339.jpg

All the tire cleaner:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/SexyAssMilkshake/My%20Galant/IMG00066-20100318-1343.jpg

After wards [still wet though]:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/SexyAssMilkshake/My%20Galant/IMG00067-20100318-1351.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/SexyAssMilkshake/My%20Galant/IMG00068-20100318-1352.jpg

the pics are crappy cell pics but you get the idea

mrg7243
03-18-2010, 05:38 PM
hmm i really cant tell cause of the pics so im not dissing your method just cant see enough to say ay or nay, your "dirty" engine bay is cleaner than mine

E_Emerson88
03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
it wasn't THAT dirty, but it was dirty to me. i didnt like a dirty car. ill try and take some new pics tomorrow so you can see how it came out better.

03-Galant-ES
03-18-2010, 07:18 PM
looks cleaner, but pics suck lol so cant tell much of the difference. Mine isnt too dirty at all, but its driving me nuts I usually clean my engine every 1st weekend of spring and 1st weekend of summer, but I have so many wires that are just everywhere right now I dont want to spray them until I redo heads and secure them properly.

keith6110
03-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Im going to try this and spread the word if it works.. im extremely excited about this.. i have to look at a dirty bay all the time lol!! Thanks for the info, i'll check back in after.

IVORY_G
03-19-2010, 01:25 AM
I have sprayed my engine bay plenty of times as well and have a few things that I would advise.

1. Dont spray too much water at your spark plug wires, one time I did and some water got into the spark plug channel and the car started missing and sputtering until I figured it out and took an air hose to the channel to disperse all water.

2. Dont spray near any Aftermarket Car Audio Fuses or Circuit Breakers. I did one time and my circuit breaker wasnt waterproof, and it fried. Had to buy a new one. It sucked, LOL!

3. I would just take the precaution like I do to protect your cone filter. If you're using a factory airbox your fine, dont worry about it. But what I do that easy is as pie with my cone filter is:
Get a plastic grocery bag, cover the filter, then tie a knot at the MAF Adapter. Its pretty much safe at that point if you tie a good knot, never had an issue from there.

4. Watch out for any bare wires that may be exposed from loose wire harness looms. I took a car I had one time to a Car Wash for them to do my engine bay, they sprayed my engine bay and a wire got wet that was linked to my brake system which caused my emergency brake light to stay on for damn near 3 months. Had me pissed as ever, but it finally went away after I changed the master cylinder resevoir which had an electrical plug to it.

So moral of the story, DO be mindful and careful of what your spraying, bcz some of your wires or wire looms may be old and deteriorating, and or anything else eletrical, which can leave the opportunity to get something wet that will short out.

Stick with the concentrating most of water at the block, water and coolant resevoirs, headers, intake piping, firewall, but simply rinse off everything else eletrical with due regard.

dimushor
04-04-2010, 12:31 AM
so would it work if i just rinse the foam with a hose of water, without high pressure?

E_Emerson88
04-04-2010, 04:44 AM
yup, thats what i did

KaziKai
07-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Hey Wouldnt the battery get damaged when you get water on it? like the pos and neg with water touching it? can I just put a bag on it to be safe?

deziking
07-24-2010, 06:37 PM
At the shop I used to work at they had a pressure washer. So what they taught me to do was spray the engine bay down completely with purple cleaner soak it and then turn the car on and use the pressure wash to clean everything off and of course use air blower and blow out all the left over water.

beam514
07-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I actually performed this prior to MOD to get my bay nice and clean . I actually just used my garden hose with a pressure nozzle and it worked just fine but keep in mind, you want to minimize the amount of oil runoff going to the storm drains. I did this because I cleaned the bay at a station with water recycling about a month prior, so most of the oil was already off. I covered the battery and my cone filter, then sprayed everything down with the tire foam and scrubbed whatever I needed to with an old tooth brush. Then I rinsed off with the garden hose, wiped as much water off as I could, then went for a nice drive to dry things off. Once I was back and the bay was cooled down, I used to Armorall plastic/vinyl dressup to get all the hoses and plastic looking fresh. Now the bay looks great :)

OMEGA PHX
07-24-2010, 07:29 PM
In the original post of DOHCstunr says tire SHINE aerosol, but I imagine he meant tire foam since he talks about snow looking foam, and many of you say tire foam, I think I'm going to try it but with my garden hose, Im gonna cover the alternator, the ccfl ballasts and the amp fuse, or is it safe to spray the alternator, since DOHC doesn't say anything.

beam514
07-24-2010, 07:36 PM
I left my alternator uncovered. I wouldn't go soaking it, but I think it's okay to leave it uncovered. If you want to be safe though, you could just easily put a plastic bag over it. Also, if you use the garden hose, try not to get to thick of stream going, if that makes any sense.. haha just try to minimize soaking I guess

mblood1
07-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I work at a car wash and I tried this after work one day. My engine bay was clean and my intake was covered. When I started my car my drive worked for about 25 feet then stopped working. Reverse worked fine. After about an hour my drive would work intermittently and on the way home i had to stop multiple times to restart my car because that seemed to help drive kick in. Engine code was thrown during this i ran the code and it came up as over 11 circuit faults. Car dried over night and was fine the next day

beam514
07-25-2010, 12:35 AM
hmmm sounds like you might have some wires exposed? either that or too much water gathered in one spot? I would make sure your wiring isn't chewed up though

AktionCat
07-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I'll do this later tonight and get pix..Mine is ULTRA dirty

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Turtle-Wax-14-5-oz-aerosol-F21-tire-ultra-wet-shine/_/N-25lp?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=tire+shine&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=209233_0_0_&sortType=low

right thing?

OMEGA PHX
07-25-2010, 10:04 AM
I'll do this later tonight and get pix..Mine is ULTRA dirty

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Turtle-Wax-14-5-oz-aerosol-F21-tire-ultra-wet-shine/_/N-25lp?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=tire+shine&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=209233_0_0_&sortType=low

right thing?

Can anybody confirm, Tire SHINE or Tire FOAM? Because of the description I would say its Tire FOAM but DOHC said Tiire Shine.

AktionCat
07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Can anybody confirm, Tire SHINE or Tire FOAM? Because of the description I would say its Tire FOAM but DOHC said Tiire Shine.

None of them say aerosol. Anywhere else.

OMEGA PHX
07-25-2010, 01:05 PM
None of them say aerosol. Anywhere else.

Wait what???

My question is if its foam or tire shine, I would say its foam but I'm not sure.

AktionCat
07-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Wait what???

My question is if its foam or tire shine, I would say its foam but I'm not sure.

He said it HAS to be aerosol. There's no aerosol product inside the tire foams.

beam514
07-25-2010, 02:19 PM
huhh?? Tire foam is the aerosol products. I used Armorall tire foam cleaner/shiner/whatever

AktionCat
07-26-2010, 08:17 AM
huhh?? Tire foam is the aerosol products. I used Armorall tire foam cleaner/shiner/whatever

I figure any tire cleaner that foams will work as they all use the same sit and dry method.

I'll grab some up this day..ended up going trail riding wif a friend yesterday.

AktionCat
07-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Have to use a toothbrush to get those other little splotches as even with high pressure water few inches away those still didn't go away :<

Before
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/th_cbc79208.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/?action=view&current=cbc79208.jpg)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/th_3c7d045e.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/?action=view&current=3c7d045e.jpg)

Sprayed wif what seems to not want to foam up :<
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/th_d640285b.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/?action=view&current=d640285b.jpg)ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine was all they had at the zone :/

Drove from autozone to car wash about 2-3 miles. Then spray a bit more on. Waited a bit then started to wash.

Mid Wash
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/th_bb8b7195.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/?action=view&current=bb8b7195.jpg)
Used the high pressure but didn't squeeze trigger to do it except for those super stuck grime parts..which even then didn't work so well.

After Wash
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/th_ba4e1347.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/?action=view&current=ba4e1347.jpg)
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/th_c0178f29.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/G%20Lant/?action=view&current=c0178f29.jpg)

Isaurio
07-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Looks good. BUT is a no no with the ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine. That thing is super Flammable. In autozone they sell engine detailer specially for the engine. Dont use that because it has a lots of oil residue. I got a good engine Degreaser can't remember the name but i got it on Autozone. Very good thing you spray it wait like 5 min and just wipe it off. It leaves your engine looking WET I mean WET. Preasure water or any kind of water is not recomended, because some electrical problem can accour also if you have a bad oil cap or gasket, "Water and Metal = RUST = Cancer for a car". AVOID AT ALL COST.

AktionCat
07-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Looks good. BUT is a no no with the ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine. That thing is super Flammable. In autozone they sell engine detailer specially for the engine. Dont use that because it has a lots of oil residue. I got a good engine Degreaser can't remember the name but i got it on Autozone. Very good thing you spray it wait like 5 min and just wipe it off. It leaves your engine looking WET I mean WET. Preasure water or any kind of water is not recomended, because some electrical problem can accour also if you have a bad oil cap or gasket, "Water and Metal = RUST = Cancer for a car". AVOID AT ALL COST.

Glad I pick the one not to use :<

beam514
07-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I think you'll be fine dude. The point is to get all of whatever you're using to clean the engine off by spraying it down. Isaurio, you're not supposed to wash down the bay and just let it dry, which actually could lead to rust. You spray down the bay, dry as much with a towel as possible, then go for a nice drive until the entire this has dried off.

oh and about the flammability: all those aerosol products are super flammable. Personally I didn't spray the aerosol then go driving.. I simply sprayed it on then, let it sit, scrubbed a bit, rinsed, dried with a towel, then went for a nice drive.

Isaurio
07-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I think you'll be fine dude. The point is to get all of whatever you're using to clean the engine off by spraying it down. Isaurio, you're not supposed to wash down the bay and just let it dry, which actually could lead to rust. You spray down the bay, dry as much with a towel as possible, then go for a nice drive until the entire this has dried off.

oh and about the flammability: all those aerosol products are super flammable. Personally I didn't spray the aerosol then go driving.. I simply sprayed it on then, let it sit, scrubbed a bit, rinsed, dried with a towel, then went for a nice drive.

Yeah bro thats what i do. The special engine detailer says spray and let it sit for 10 min then clean it off with a towel and then let it sit with hood open for an 1hr. If you turn the engine on it will smoke all over. I'm saying that some people use that tired shine liquid to clean the engine and thats not recommended specially if you washed off with water. WATER AND OIL DON'T MIX. So the oil will stay on the engine. I will post soon a picture of the cleaner I use.

beam514
07-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah bro thats what i do. The special engine detailer says spray and let it sit for 10 min then clean it off with a towel and then let it sit with hood open for an 1hr. If you turn the engine on it will smoke all over. I'm saying that some people use that tired shine liquid to clean the engine and thats not recommended specially if you washed off with water. WATER AND OIL DON'T MIX. So the oil will stay on the engine. I will post soon a picture of the cleaner I use.

correct water and oil don't mix, which is why you need a little bit of pressure in order to remove it. Much like washing oily dishes. If you have enough water pressure, most of the oil on the dish will wash off, and this is simply with a sink facet. Put the correct nozzle on the garden hose and the stuff comes right off.

this is what I used: http://www.armorall.com/img/products/wheel_tire/r_arm_tf20oz_0706.jpg (http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=27&main_group=0&category_index=wheel_tire)

OMEGA PHX
07-26-2010, 07:06 PM
I think DOHC meant tire foam then lol

Isaurio
07-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Water pressure is not good for the engine wires and parts. Is my opinion. If it works for you hey!

AktionCat
07-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Water pressure is not good for the engine wires and parts. Is my opinion. If it works for you hey!

It's not good cuz the pressure can easily get into the wire harnesses..Hence why I don't pull the trigger..I know there's a tire shine that foams and actually stays foamed for awhile but the AZ I went to was crap on tire foams as compared to most other AZs i goto.

Isaurio
07-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Ok. Here what i use.
http://www.detailingtricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/cd2_engine_detailer_12oz.jpg

Here is the link for better explenation:

http://www.detailingtricks.com/2009/08/28/cd-2-engine-detailer/\

Example of engine.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC01417.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/OCDetails2/engine%20detail/cd2EngineCover.jpg

Before:
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/854/medium/IMG_5978_Medium_.jpg
After:
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/854/medium/IMG_5991_Medium_.jpg

99galantES
07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
My engine is always clean but what I use is simple green nothing else... works great spray it on wait a few and power wash the engine while its on never had any electrical problems or anything then after that I spray tire shine and leaves the engine nice and detailed

IVORY_G
07-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Ok. Here what i use.
http://www.detailingtricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/cd2_engine_detailer_12oz.jpg

Here is the link for better explenation:

http://www.detailingtricks.com/2009/08/28/cd-2-engine-detailer/

Thats dope if that actually works like that. Im gonna try it out...

beam514
07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
hmm I feel like they had to do a little bit more than just spray that stuff on.. but how much did it cost you?

E_Emerson88
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Thats dope if that actually works like that. Im gonna try it out...

yeah, you need it

Isaurio
07-28-2010, 11:57 AM
In autozone is like 5 dollars or something like that.
1.Spray
2.bruch
3.wipe
4.Spray gain
5.Wipe again
6.let it air dry for 1hr
7.turn on engine for 15 min.
Done.

boochieboy
07-29-2010, 01:25 AM
I have always kept my engine compartment clean, so all I ever need to do is use a wet rag every now and then,,,,but I did have GREAT results using "Engine Brite" aerosol on my friend's Pontiac,,,,,it had over 100k miles, and he never cleaned it....ever....and it came out clean as a whistle.

KaziKai
07-29-2010, 05:31 AM
ok so.. i did that today.... i drove to autozone got a can of the foam... got home open the hood.. wrap the battery and injen filter... waited about 30 mins for it to cool down.... sprayed it... *half of the can* let it sit... sprayed somemore.. and brushed it a bit.. rinse.. had steam come up.. i guess thats normal.. from a semi hot engine.. then after about 30 mins later.. i started the g.. well rpm was under 500 at first tried to rev it up. it wanted to die... drove around the complex... engine felt like its going to die.. got to the red light.. it died...

started it up.. floored it.. 70 on a 35.... and it was normal.. but one thing i noticed when im in park my rpm is up at 1500 is that normal or should i be worried about something....

Isaurio
07-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I told you about that foam shit. LOL. my bad. Check all sensor are in place, make sure all vacuum lines are not loose or anything. Causes:
- Vacuum leak- "I think this is the cause"
- Poorly adjusted idle set screw-check that
- TB blade not sealing properly
- Check the MAF sensor is connected.
- IAC valve issue

99galantES
07-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Next time just leave the engine on when hosing it down and you won't have problem and why are you covering the battery? I don't

AktionCat
07-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Next time just leave the engine on when hosing it down and you won't have problem and why are you covering the battery? I don't

Same I foamed the battery and covered intake is all.

beam514
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
is your car still idling at 1500 rpm?

mrg7243
08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
i used the engine brighte stuff at one poin and it seemed to work good, i also used simple green and it left a minty fresh smell that was clean but the motor wasnt shiny or anything

beam514
08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
if you want your hoses and stuff to be shiny, you need to use plastic/vinyl dressup