PDA

View Full Version : Trans question

Galant Evolution
02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Can the fluid inside the torque converter be drained, or just the trans? I want to try and do a drain and fill for the trans before i have it checked out at the dealer to see if it might solve the prob. In the how-to section it only explains how to check the trans fluid, can some one sum up for me how to drain and fill, and how many SP-3 quarts ill need?

WhiteGalant
02-11-2010, 03:17 PM
IF your fluid has never been changed its not worth it, trans fluid has a detergent and any fresh fluid will free up and old crap in the trans and fuck your shit up LOL.

Galant Evolution
02-11-2010, 03:27 PM
IF your fluid has never been changed its not worth it, trans fluid has a detergent and any fresh fluid will free up and old crap in the trans and fuck your shit up LOL.

I heard thats true for a flush, but a D&F also? fluid is transparent but a light browish

WhiteGalant
02-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Brown=Bad, dont flush it, leave it as is. Thats my opinion anyways, you may want to get the opinions of others tho.

Galant Evolution
02-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Brown=Bad, dont flush it, leave it as is. Thats my opinion anyways, you may want to get the opinions of others tho.

But if brown is bad then why shouldnt i change it? not flush it just a D@F

SPD_FRK
02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
You can flush the trans and replace the fluid. Brown or darkened fluid is an indicator of old fluid, burnt up clutch packs, or excessive heat...basically poor regular maintenance. If you replace the fluid with fresh fluids it will have the potential to start showing signs up slippage in the clutches (which is a good sign the transmission need a rebuild).

Does the fluid smell burnt at all? If so, don't even mess with fluid changes and save you money for either rebuilding the transmission soon, or swapping the 5spd in.

Galant Evolution
02-11-2010, 03:42 PM
You can flush the trans and replace the fluid. Brown or darkened fluid is an indicator of old fluid, burnt up clutch packs, or excessive heat...basically poor regular maintenance. If you replace the fluid with fresh fluids it will have the potential to start showing signs up slippage in the clutches (which is a good sign the transmission need a rebuild).

Does the fluid smell burnt at all? If so, don't even mess with fluid changes and save you money for either rebuilding the transmission soon, or swapping the 5spd in.

Actually the fluid smells very clean and chemically, the color is a light brown/red, but the car sat for 2 years with the same fluid in it, im getting hard shifts and vibrations when i come to a stop only in gear and i think it might be the torque converter so i want to try a drain and fill before i go to the dealer

SPD_FRK
02-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Actually the fluid smells very clean and chemically, the color is a light brown/red, but the car sat for 2 years with the same fluid in it, im getting hard shifts and vibrations when i come to a stop only in gear and i think it might be the torque converter so i want to try a drain and fill before i go to the dealer
If it doesn't smell burned then get a complete transmission flush done on it. As far as I have seen on my converter I don't believe they have a drain plug, but I wil have to look again (most aftermarket converters will have a drain plug though I know that).

Galant Evolution
02-12-2010, 06:56 AM
If it doesn't smell burned then get a complete transmission flush done on it. As far as I have seen on my converter I don't believe they have a drain plug, but I wil have to look again (most aftermarket converters will have a drain plug though I know that).

Ok thanks for the info man