PDA

View Full Version : Galant to Eclipse conversion

GalantsArePoopy
02-28-2003, 09:39 AM
Hi i was wondering if you could get an eclipse body from a junkyard and tranfer all the internals from a Galant to the eclipse. Would it be cost effiecient?

seth98esT
02-28-2003, 10:00 AM
well the 2g eclipse is 68.3" wide and our 7gs are 68.1" wide so id say its possible. from just taking the the bumper you would have to mod it to get it mount and to get less gaps under the headlight. Im going to the junkyard int 2 weeks if there is a wrecked 2g eclipse there, im going to steal the front bumper(more like pay for it but yah :wink:)

2True
02-28-2003, 11:12 AM
What are you going to do with a stock 2g front bumper Seth? :?

seth98esT
02-28-2003, 11:19 AM
test fit it on my 7g and if it firs somewhat then i am going to fiberglass a little and try to make it fit...better to do it on a junkyard part before i go buy a body kit and screw that up

laxattack2001
02-28-2003, 11:24 AM
good idea seth time for me to take a trip to the local junkyard! :-D

BEAST
02-28-2003, 01:09 PM
I remember seeing on the old board, someone did it. They put an eclipse front bumper the G. I don't remember exactly what they said about it, or who it was, I just remember seeing a pic of it.

JiP
02-28-2003, 05:10 PM
I think you guys stare at the screen so much that you just make up your own topics. He was asking if you could swap *internals* engine and shit into the eclipse, and dude im with you on that one I hate galant and wanted to swap the 4g64 into a hardtop eclipse. It is possible will be a bit of work.

Why dont you just sell the galant and just buy a used eclipse that would be the smarter thing to do.

seth98esT
02-28-2003, 05:16 PM
hehe JiP, always thinking on the positive side :wink:

as for eclipse "Engine" internals, if you find a 1g or 2g eclipse/talon/laser with a 4g63t engine the swap is rather simple from what i hear. Craig, white ghost(minus the 't'), trevmill, and a few others have done this swap. Craig has talked about it so much im sure he is tired of everyone asking questions, but you will find lots of usefull info on the swap...

BTW i am STILL going to try the front bumper conversion :lauging:

JiP
02-28-2003, 07:14 PM
jesus seth lol He wants to swap Galant internals INTO THE ECLIPSE!~! Dont you see his name? he hates the galant like i do! lol The engine is aight...the body and everything else blow.

pinoyesv6
02-28-2003, 07:26 PM
thats possible but then u also have to think about how the eclipse got into the junk yard. many of them go into accidents that cost way too much to repair, compared to its value. another thing u gotta consider is the title of the car. its hard to sell a car with a junked title etc etc. so you gotta keep that in mind

seth98esT
02-28-2003, 08:05 PM
wow i need to go back to kindergarden so i can re-learn how to read! Yay i getta take naps during school again!

HiperSilver
02-28-2003, 11:56 PM
are you serious, or is this a joke topic,

anyways if you are serious, you have got the be the most car-retarded person i know wanting to swap a galant engine/internals into an eclipse.
4g63t or 4g64, hrmmmm, turbo or n/a, hrmm, fast or slow.
im not tryin to sound like an asshole but that would be the dumbest thing in the universe and i think it would get a laugh from everyone that knows something about cars. Sure u can argue that a 4g64 built just right will outrunt he dsm motor. But how many built 4g64 motors have u seen, i mean pistons, rods, internals strengthed, trans stregthned; not many at all.

BEAST
02-28-2003, 11:59 PM
This is a good point, but what about if he could only find an RS or a GS? Then it would definatly be worth it. And whether or not the Eclipse was a turbo or not, if he had the money, he could work on the engine while it was out and build it up.

HiperSilver
03-01-2003, 12:22 AM
well he stated that he would buy the body, with no motor. Rs or Gs if it had a motor , with knowledge of that motor u can get a Hahn Racecraft Stage 2 turbo kit and have that car running 13 second passes. I just dont see why u would buy the body, spend the money to have a foreign motor put in there that wasnt in the first place. I dunno, i guess i just see it from a opportunity cost point of view.

JiP
03-01-2003, 12:52 AM
The way I see it, I love the eclipse look. Im not a "racer" i dont enter competitions I dont ever plan to, cars are just my ultra expensive hobby.

I would defintly swap a 4g64 race built motor into an eclipse hardtop. I like the eclipse look, and the only motors i know like the back of my hand are the 4g63/4g64 series. 4g64 has a lot more potential then you think. And um the eclipse I would drop it into is a 420a, forget what model it is. Though if I got a 4g63t eclipse, I would pull that block and use the 4g64 block.

Btw an eclipse with a 4g63 will accept the 4g64 pretty easily, diy job if you have time and an engine lift https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif And there are a lot more shops building up the 4g64 block lately. Just look at all the shit flyin around on ebay for the 4g63, the majority of those buyers are 4g64 people (on this group and on a few other dsm groups Im a member of). I think the best thing that ever happened for 4g64 runners is when someone figured out we can use parts from a g63 giving us tons of performance options that we didnt have before. There are few things built for a galant engine performance wise, a lot out there for the 4g63.

Also Moosh and I talk off line a lot he pointed out the fact that an eclipse weighs more then a galant...was a decent amount heavier too.

evil-G-nius
03-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Personally I think the eclipse is a girls car! It just looks feminine to me. Anyway why not just go buy an eclipse? Look in autotrader or on line and see what you can find. It would be a lot cheaper and you could use the money you save to build the engine or even swap it if you want a 4g64

JiP
03-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Well I think he wants to pull it from a junkyard because it will be dirt cheap. and probably not running, so using the 4g64 to give it life. If I bought a used running eclipse I would swap the 420a into the galant and sell it off, and keep my 4g64 with my eclipse. Galant is like a family car 4 doors make me sick!

Its all a matter of personal preference https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

BEAST
03-02-2003, 03:04 PM
I agree with Kimya, the 2nd gen eclipse is definatly a girls car, unless you go all out pimpin it out. The swap to put a 4g64 engine it would be very easy anyway. Are you guys forgeting that some of the 2nd gen. actually came with a 4g64 engine. They are called eclipse spyders.

JiP
03-02-2003, 03:22 PM
I know the 4g64 is in a spyder thats why I kept saying "Eclipse Hardtop"

The guy who started to the topic never posted anything again lol

HiperSilver
03-02-2003, 05:54 PM
i personally love eclipses, but why would u get a spyder, they are heavy... since its a convertable

i wouldnt see you would consider swapping a 4g64 instead of a 4g63t...

for starters even if the 4g64 is built, compare the price of building it CORRECTLY compared to building the 4g63t, -Bang for Buck

second of all the 4g63t is designed wiht a turbocharger, perfect platform to upgrade the turbo...IC, etc

i mean there is a huge aftermarket for the dsm motor compared to the 4g64.

And if you gonna build the 4g64 and make it into a race car...remember AWD platform is the way to go.. you can argue all you want but it comes down bang for buck, ease of parts, knowledge, what has been done and tried to what hasnt been really done that much.

Kain
03-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Why would anyone want a bigger, heaver, more difficult car like the Eclipse? I likes the Galant. It's got leg room, and I can get into it without bending my lanky self into a pretzel to assume the driving position. But, if you really want an Eclipse, buy one they're cheap and everywhere.

GalantsArePoopy
03-07-2003, 08:11 PM
yo, jip is the only guy here who is spot on. i want to get my shit inside an eclipse, so i save money from buying an eclipse, yet get to drive a sporty 2 door, rather than a 4 door family pooper.

so basically you guys are saying its not worth the money to fill an empty eclipse with galant internals? better off buying an eclipse?

HiperSilver
03-08-2003, 12:01 AM
yes, it will be the biggest waste of time and money and will leave people asking why?

sell your galant buy a gst or a gs, ive seen em for like 5-7k
Why get an eclipse? Turbocharged from factory, legendary 4g63t engine, all wheel drive, excellent suspension, i dunno why i would get an eclipse, just ask the million dsmers out there. I WISH i could drive a 2nd gen gsx instead of my shit galant. I got tranny problems at 48k miles. its a complete turd, cant wait till graduation, hopefully i can get an EVO 8

GalantsArePoopy
03-08-2003, 01:09 PM
why cant you wait till graduation? im graduating from high school soon. do we get a brand new kick ass import when we graduate or something? where do i sign up!? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Yeah, i mean im here cause i have a galant, cause thats what mommy and daddy got me, but im not particularly proud of it. im not putting a penny into the car, except for sound, cause i can carry that to my next ride.

IllestGalant
03-08-2003, 01:15 PM
The eclipse looks like a girls car. how could you say you hate galants jip. You hate all of them or just yours?

Strahan
03-08-2003, 03:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>4 doors make me sick!</div>

I hear ya. Every time I see a 750 or an M5 it makes me sick too :roll:

Better idea. Weld the rear doors closed then seal them hehe. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

JiP
03-08-2003, 03:17 PM
I hate all galants! dont take it personaly its just my opinion. But I'm stuck with this car, I might as well make the best of it and take it to the limits. I dont like 4door cars at all, im not talking about performance shit just plain old outside looks of the car, if I was buying a car I would never consider a 4door.

IllestGalant
03-08-2003, 03:42 PM
ouch!!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p009e7736768ea925418a628c2d83dd60/fcf6d531.jpg
speak for yourself!

Strahan
03-08-2003, 11:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>I hate all galants! Â*dont take it personaly its just my opinion. Â*But I'm stuck with this car, I might as well make the best of it and take it to the limits. Â*I dont like 4door cars at all, im not talking about performance shit just plain old outside looks of the car, if I was buying a car I would never consider a 4door.</div>

Hehe.. each to their own I suppose https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif But I personally would have no problems with this four door:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/151000-151999/151134_89_full.jpg

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

2True
03-09-2003, 02:28 PM
DAMN right Ken! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I considered it, but I am not going to preach... done it too many times. Look up an old post of mine to hear the sermon https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Basically, if you want to be like everyone else... get rid of the Galant. Want to be different? Original? Push the envelope? ...

Here's another "poopy" 4 Door...
http://www.caranddriver.com/image_cache/DATA/Caranddriver/Images/2002/october/charting/0210_charting_mitsubishi_lancer.jpg

IllestGalant
03-09-2003, 10:53 PM
I think four door make for a more original look. It's not everyday you see a family sedan, slammed with chrome 18's, pumpin bass with a body kit, tints, and still runnin with f bodies...and looking good while you do it.

jluv97
03-10-2003, 12:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think four door make for a more original look. It's not everyday you see a family sedan, slammed with chrome 18's, pumpin bass with a body kit, tints, and still runnin with f bodies...and looking good while you do it.</div>

Amen!

bronxbombr
03-12-2003, 03:35 PM
Shiit I love my G as for looking like a family car, It does not :twisted: nor does it run like a family car. The eclipse is hot but too small for my big 6ft ass to get in. And you cant really manuever a girl in the back seat of it :twisted: My 4door galant looks way more sporty than all the 2 door eclipses I see in my city. :wink:

JiP
03-12-2003, 03:42 PM
lmao..I used to "manuever" with a girl in my tiny chevy beretta, I could handle an eclipse lol. Besides havnt done that in a car since I was 19 lol

GalantsArePoopy
07-09-2004, 04:40 PM
hey illestgalant, how you keepin up with f bodies? i cant take civic ex's....autos even.

4-G-rim
07-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Man...Rob (Jip) trips me out, but I respect him because he says what he says and stands on behind it. Though...I am opposite to him as far as opinions on Galants. I love Galants....shoot, ALL Eclipse chassis are based on our Galants...so if anything, the Galant is Big Daddy. I love 4 door cars...just the look they have when you "sport" them up. Plus...there is nothing like spanking a 2 door SPORTS car with a "family" car. *Ahem*...its nice when my buddy spanks SPORTS car and realize a 4 door EVO just ruined his manhood. On the other subject....I am either or on the subject on which motor is better...4g64 or 4g63. The 4g64 is a way older motor than the 4g63...and was actually the base platform on the design of the 4g63. The 4g64 was on the mid 80's Galants, Expos, and even the Mighty Max trucks. The 4g series motors are strong...believe it or not, I don't think you hear much on internal related problems with these motors in stock or lightly modified versions. The 4g63 was born in the very early 90's....into performance based platforms...the Galant VR-4 and eventually due to WRC rules changes into the Lancer Evolution. The 4g63 is a GREAT motor...its legendary and I have NOTHING bad to say about this motor. The aftermarket support behind the 4g63 is immense and it has a PROVEN track record in professional racing, street racing and daily driving. The big brother to the 4g63...the 4g64 in the other hand is really a untapped resource with TONS of potential. If you read up on top DSM racing teams like Magnus and Buscher they are using 4g64 shortblocks....reason, they make TORQUE and mating that with AWD....you pretty much have a even meaner monster. 4G64 shortblock swaps are the 2nd most popular among the DSM community....1g 6 bolt 4g63's into 2g's being the 1st. I am sure most of you know that the only differences between the 64 and 63 of course the cylinder head being SOHC....Longer stroke on 64 compared to the 63...Oil Squirters and channels don't exist on the 64 but on the 63...I believe the 64 has a slightlty larger cylinder wall size than the 63 and some other minor differences. Shoot...even more proof that the 4g64 and 4g63 are very close...DSM guys are stroking their 4g63's by putting in 4g64 cranks. Magnus is even selling a built Stage 3 4g64 short block that is claimed to support over 800+ horsepower with proper tuning. 4g series motors are great motors....its just the 4g63 is the most decorated.

JiP
07-12-2004, 03:11 PM
This subject is mad old I duno what nutjob went through the archives and dug it up... but I was speaking based on looks only. I know the potential for power is defintly there.. but looks wise I would take even a honda civic over a galant! I hate the way evo's look too... I just cant stand 4 door cars. If I was gona buy a 4door car based on overall package, looks, performance..etc.. it would be a WRX without even thinking twice.

new galants look like shit too the rear end looks OK the front end looks like shit...the whole pacakge looks like a wana be maxima, and I'd take a maxima over a galant too! Wasnt my choice to get this car as ive said many times, my chevy started spewin gas all over the place and I dumped it.

But while the galant is in my hands I will take it apart and build it up until I crash it or it explodes on me, or I get enough money to buy an eclipse and pull the 4g63 out and drop my 4g64 in. Love the engine and the simplicity of import engines...just hate the look of the galant.

4-G-rim
07-12-2004, 03:58 PM
I got it Rob...you hate 4 doors, and its all gravy still https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif I'm the nutjob that dug this subject up...i was bored early this morning, sorry....I am not usually up to date on TGC events since I am not always on. :? The WRX is cool...its a nice car, but I would take a EVO anyday...anytime. In total performance test in pretty much every magazine I read...the EVO outdoes the WRX. I don't know...maybe I just have this loyalty towards the Triple Diamond...but the Evo just does it for me. I have driven both the EVO and WRX "STi" version....and even though the STi version has more claimed power, the Evo in stock version just feels like its MUCH more nimble and bigger balls at that. Oh well....I just have to get my 7g finished, because I am really looking into a EVO by next year. :wink:

the_kage
07-22-2004, 09:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiperSilver)</div><div class='quotemain'>..remember AWD platform is the way to go.. </div>

Yeah. Thats why Dave Busher and his 9 sec eclipse is Rwd.

Awd is good for your launches... other than that it just depends what you want to do.