PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge gone mad

6G72Galant
02-18-2010, 09:00 PM
My temp gauge is dead. Its been dead for quite some time now. But before it died, it would rise and fall erratically. Itd jump from "H" to "C" over and over again regardless if the car was at idle in park, or while driving. And then one day it just died. It stays at the position below "C", as if the car is off. Any ideas?

Da_Prodigy
02-18-2010, 10:29 PM
try changing the temperature sensor

mko
02-18-2010, 11:09 PM
hows coolant level

6G72Galant
02-19-2010, 05:06 AM
try changing the temperature sensor

Any idea where it would be on a V6? Ill see if I can locate my Haynes manual to find more info.

hows coolant level

When the temp gauge was going nuts, I checked the level, and the resevoir was empty, so I refilled it, and topped off the radiator. And after that, the gauge just stopped working completely. Ill check again today and post back.

Reelax
02-19-2010, 07:24 AM
could even be just the gauge in the cluster... mine was doing the same thing, then i replaced the entire cluster (swapped the odometer over)... all good again.

Da_Prodigy
02-19-2010, 08:06 AM
I think ts by the upper house and under the intake

http://i47.tinypic.com/kf5uf8.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/zjvtic.jpg
(yes i know it's horrible quality)

toeknee02
02-23-2010, 12:43 AM
My temp gauge is dead. Its been dead for quite some time now. But before it died, it would rise and fall erratically. Itd jump from "H" to "C" over and over again regardless if the car was at idle in park, or while driving. And then one day it just died. It stays at the position below "C", as if the car is off. Any ideas?

sounds like a short. if that wire was shorted to ground it would make the gauge read all the way hot. if it was unpluged, or if the wire is open, it will make the gauge read all the way low. sounds like the wire is shorting to ground or hopefully you jus got a bad conection.

6G72Galant
03-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Ok. Thanks for the help guys. Im just going to order a new sensor, and see if that fixes the problem. If not, looks like I have an excuse to buy a new gauge cluster.

Reelx, can you really swap the odometer out? Ive been wanting to get the 99-01 cluster. But I was told that the odometer reading would be that of the previous car. Not mine.

gangstbani
04-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Do this at your own risk

I had the same problem a while back. what i did to get it fixed was take out the cluster, open it up, take out all the needles(WARNING you need to take note where the needles are when u have to put them back. taking a picture of each needle is a good idea).

anyways as u keep digging deeper you should see a nut behind the temp guage or on the circuit board that will be loose. Just tighten that nut and your good go.

If you have questions ask

and i know this is 2 months later

tamim13
04-24-2010, 08:29 AM
There is a tutorial on here to switch out odometers -
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=31531

I think the links are dead now, you should be able to PM Ray (RAZ_76) to get the pictures/video to switch this out, it's not too hard.

Bloody Arro
04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
can you really swap the odometer out? Ive been wanting to get the 99-01 cluster. But I was told that the odometer reading would be that of the previous car. Not mine.
Switching out the odometer is easy, you unscrew the screws, take off the clip thing, and attach it to the other cluster the same way. BUT the 99-01 cluster is different in the sense that the lights at the bottom will be different than what is actually going on.
IE: I think if your door is open, the gas light comes on or something like that.

dGALANTc
04-24-2010, 11:49 AM
could even be just the gauge in the cluster... mine was doing the same thing, then i replaced the entire cluster (swapped the odometer over)... all good again.

He gave me that same advise and worked for me. No problems since either.