PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Take Off

projectmpire
02-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi I have a 1999 Galant DE 2.4 Litre 4 Cyl. Recent I just bought a used engine from a hit galant in New Jersey. I had to swap out my engine cause my mechanic said my old engin was dead. I got the used engine and I had the mechanic install the engine. The problem is when I start the engine and i try to pull of It is very sluggish. We check the tranny fluid and added some fluid to the tranny because it was low but the problem still persisted. On the highway the car runs fine at 60-70 mph but at stop lights and at intersections i have a very hard time pulling off. Plus my check engine light is on what do you guys recommend?

shovelman
02-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Do a compression check, you could have a dead cylinder too.

projectmpire
02-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Ok I will check that out and see what happens. And let you know that sounds like a good solution but can the cylinder be replaced?

mrg7243
02-21-2010, 09:09 PM
could be a clogged catalytic converter, or your transmission is slipping

Fresh_617
02-21-2010, 11:17 PM
my car has the same problem it feels like its running flat and only rarely does it pick up fast i thought it was a galant thing bcuz both my 99 and my 03 ran like that but then i drove some1 else 99 and i tapped the gas n it took off where as i floor my shit and it still builds up speed slowly...so if u find out anything let me know as well

projectmpire
02-21-2010, 11:40 PM
ok will do. I try to floor board my 99 too and the car does not react. I will look into the tranny slippage too.

projectmpire
03-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Okay so it seems that my transmission is stuck into 1 gear. Does this classify as transmission slippage? When the car is placed in 1st gear or 1 (being that its an automatic) it makes no transtition in shifting neither in 2 or 3( 2nd or 3rd). Do you think that the mechanic did not install the engine properly during the engine swap? as my service engine soon light is on as well? What can I do would I have to get a new tranny?

kolio
03-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Okay so it seems that my transmission is stuck into 1 gear. Does this classify as transmission slippage? When the car is placed in 1st gear or 1 (being that its an automatic) it makes no transtition in shifting neither in 2 or 3( 2nd or 3rd). Do you think that the mechanic did not install the engine properly during the engine swap? as my service engine soon light is on as well? What can I do would I have to get a new tranny?

if you put it in 1, it wont shift to another gear. thats the point. if you put it in 2 it wont shift past second. since your engine light is on check:

spark plugs/wires/coil packs
catalytic converter/ o2 sensor
air filter
fuel filter/lines
all fluids in the engine

Galanttuner10
03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
go to the auto parts store, grab the scanner and scan the codes. it will tell you exactly what it wrong or at least give a starting point.

mko
03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
sounds like its in limp mode

projectmpire
03-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Had a mechanic hook up a computer to the engine and it revealed that I need a transmission IN Speed sensor OUT Speed sensor and a shift sensor. Would I have to drop the transmission to change all thos sensors? What is the best recommendation?

cajunwarrior
03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Mine tranny is does the same thing now also. P0705, P0715, and P0720 codes and is in limp mode (3rd Gear Only), Real sluggish taking off. I have my old tranny at a shop getting fixed, but prob won't be ready for a couple of weeks. How long can we drive the car in limp mode?