PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Went Out, Need Advice!!!

cajunwarrior
02-23-2010, 01:46 AM
I've got a 1999 Galant 2.4L A/T. I've had two tranny's do the same thing. I'm driving down the road and then no gears, every gear is neutral. When the first tranny went out, I just bought a used one. It lasted about 80,000 miles. Did a tranny flush bout 6 months ago. For the last couple of months I've noticed that when I'm going about 70mph or so and I let off the gas a lil bit, the car jumps a few times. Then a couple of weeks ago, I notice it started shifting hard from 1st to 2nd gear. Tranny oil level was good and not burnt.

TWO QUESTIONS: 1st - Does anybody know what is causing it to keep going out like that? I've read alot of post, and from what I gather it could be the torque converter, solenoids, and/or just shot. I've taken out the tranny already and was about to replace it with ANOTHER used tranny from pullapart, but then I was like that one will probably do the same exact thing, and I still won't know what's causing it. It may just be something simple instead of replacing the whole tranny everytime, crossing fingers.

My friend's uncle owns a tranny shop and said he will look at my old one and the one I just got from pullapart but won't be able to get to it for 2-3 weeks. The one I got from pullapart was out in the weather and has some water in it, so I am a lil hesitated about putting that one in until it gets looked at.

2nd - Does anyone know what a tranny shop would charge to diagnose a tranny that is OUT of the car already? I'm just worried that I'd have to pay them just to tell me it's shot, and then I still won't know if it's really shot or they are just trying to get me to buy one from them. Thank Ya'll for any advice in advance.

mrg7243
02-23-2010, 07:28 AM
from what ive read and asked on here everyone say the auto tranns is junk swap to the manual trannsmission
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=16557
that last three or so pages of this thread talk about the auto trannsmission, but read it all as it has some good info in it
Also it will answer the question you had in another post about the trannsmisssion part no.