PDA

View Full Version : clutch flare

vr4gto
02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Well I was having the Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire problem awhile ago. I have that fixed now but now the transmission is flaring between second and third gear. I've had it out and checked by a tranny shop and they say its in too good of condition to do that. So they say its an electrical problem not mechanical. Any ideas what can cause this?

Shadow19
02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
what do you mean by flare? Also PICs of RHD or ban!

Da_Prodigy
02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
what do you mean by flare? Also PICs of RHD or ban!

x2

bronxbombr
02-25-2010, 10:05 PM
x3

vr4gto
02-26-2010, 12:14 AM
The transmission isn't shifting correctly from 2nd to 3rd. It hesitates almost like its slipping. I've replaced the clutch plates, a gasket in the valve body and a solenoid. Its still doing it. I'm thinking it's an electrical problem now. Any idea what may be causing this?

Shadow19
02-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Have you reset the computer? Also i want to see this RHD gto you got man.. Let us get some interior shots!

vr4gto
02-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Have you reset the computer? Also i want to see this RHD gto you got man.. Let us get some interior shots!

I reset the computer many times, unless there's some special way of doing it?

vr4gto
02-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Would the speed sensors mess with the shifting at all? Or anything else?

vr4gto
02-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was an automatic tranny. The clutch plates are slipping.

vr4gto
02-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Would the speed sensors affect the shifting?

Shadow19
02-26-2010, 04:48 PM
tps would affect shifting im sure............... make sure your tps is set correctly and show me those damn right hand drive pics or its not a GTO!

vr4gto
02-26-2010, 05:55 PM
What exactly do I have to do to the TPS? It's a GTO everywhere in the world but this country so rednecks don't get pissed. It irritates my neighbor with a Judge so I love it.

Shadow19
02-26-2010, 06:08 PM
You have to adjust it. IDK how it works for a 3000gt. And i hate to inform you man but here in america its a 3kgt unless its a gto. Thats like me saying.. Oh since my galant is boosted now its a vr4 galant. In fact its NOT. Im not going to make an argument out of this but putting a GTO badge on a 3kgt is about as pointless as a self propelled push mower to plow a fucking field.

vr4gto
02-26-2010, 07:07 PM
You have to adjust it. IDK how it works for a 3000gt. And i hate to inform you man but here in america its a 3kgt unless its a gto. Thats like me saying.. Oh since my galant is boosted now its a vr4 galant. In fact its NOT. Im not going to make an argument out of this but putting a GTO badge on a 3kgt is about as pointless as a self propelled push mower to plow a fucking field.
I'm not adjusting it on a GT, it's my '99 galant. And a GTO is exactly the same as a 3000, unlike a Galant VR4 and a boosted USDM Galant. That's why I can rebadge it. Anyway, I'm on a Galant forum, not a 3S forum. How and where exactly is the tps on a Galant? I'm assuming its near the throttle body.

Shadow19
02-27-2010, 10:27 AM
You know. Honestly i dont know how to adjust the 8th gen TPS. I know on the 7g you can go to v-faq.com and look it up but im sure you could find the information on a 3g eclipse site. On the contrary, the difference between usdm and the gto would be RHD so its not exactly the same dude but to each his own. Im not going to bash you for it im just expressing my opinion.

vr4gto
02-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the help. I'm gonna mess with it this weekend.

vr4gto
03-14-2010, 09:05 PM
So I've swapped trannies and checked the tps and it still shifts bad. Any ideas?

Shadow19
03-15-2010, 07:12 AM
maybe the TCU? Or if you have luck like i do you got a bad tranny to put back in there.

vr4gto
03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
maybe the TCU? Or if you have luck like i do you got a bad tranny to put back in there.
TCU? Tranny Control Unit? Where's that located?

Shadow19
03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Somewhere near the ecu. IDK about the 8g man i own a 7g.

SPD_FRK
03-15-2010, 10:05 PM
:wtf:

Alright guys...this is problems board for the 8th Gen, you want to discuss the dif models/makes/markets of the Mitsu lineup take it to a general board so that we can focus on the issue at hand with this 8th Gen.

My first question is on the transmission. If you have replaced the solenoid, which one was replaced, and was it a new replacement solenoid?

Second, which clutch pack, or as you said plates, were replaced specifically? Also, what condition were the steels in, any burs or noticable scoring on them?

Third, there is no "TCU" in the 8th Gen. The ECU does all of the engine and transmission controls which is why the A/T ECU has 30+ wires over an M/T ECU

The TPS sensor is on the throttle body, but I can't imagine that as a cause for flaring shifts, this is usually the result of a burnt clutch pack, or Valve body issues such as a defective solenoid, or stuck valve/s.

Shadow19
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
I wasnt aware that you are part of administration around here man. More power to u though ;-)

SPD_FRK
03-16-2010, 07:32 PM
I wasnt aware that you are part of administration around here man. More power to u though ;-)
No Im not, just gets hard to follow the problem when the topic goes off in left field lol.

vr4gto
03-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Ok, brought the car to another transmission shop and he ran some diagnostics and reset the ecu. The car shifts so smooth now. ???? He says the ecu must have been storing the previous issues and didn't clear them. I'm lost, not a transmission guy.

But the old trans had all that work done and I got nothing out of it. The guy who did it said that there shouldn't be any issues now that he fixed what he did. He's rebuilt many for before so I don't know why he would screw me over. Could the valves being stuck be an issue? He said he replaced the clutch plates for 2nd to 3rd, replaced something in the valve body, and a solenoid. I'm trying to get an idea if it's sellable. Need to make back some cash for my 3000gt.

Thanks to all the helped.