PDA

View Full Version : Removing voltage regulating from computer

Chevybird
03-01-2010, 09:53 AM
So Im trying to help out a friend who had an 02 galant. The car is an spl beater. He added a 250 amp alternator and is still having voltage issues. He was told that the car regulates voltage through the computer. Is this true? How could he go about removing this from the computer? Are there tuning options available for these cars like my truck( 2006 silverado)? Figured a tune of some sorts could remove it. Oh I didn't put this in performance since it's really not geared towards the performance side of tuning options. Thanks in advance!

ricky_db
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
From what i have gathered from here and other sites is that it is not regulated by the ecu. but with HO alternators you have to know what your getting even some of the name brands dont out out what they say they do. especially at idle speed you can forget it for most of them. i dont know about him but i dont wanna have to be driving or pushing the gas just to jam out. more info would be helpful as well, what is he trying to run i have heard from a creditable source that he ran 3500 watts RMS (clamp tested and calculated) off of just three kinetic batteries on a stock alternator. there really isnt to much more room in a galant to "adequately" run more than one 15 so i cant imagine him trying to put more than one or two 15s and still have enough airspace to get the most out of them.

Chevybird
03-01-2010, 06:16 PM
well he currently has 2 batteries(in the back), an 18, a 4 channel and a 4k amp all in the trunk. the amp has been sent off for repair so the system is disconnected but the batteries are still connected and when he turns on the a/c or head lights he still get voltage drops. he was told that its controlled in the pcm.

ricky_db
03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Poor amp starved to death well i would just him having at least 3 2400 kinetics or even 4 if its a true 4k amp, big three upgrade