PDA

View Full Version : Poor Idle, shuts off

arsebiter
03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey guys,

Please, I am new to this forum. I really need help. I have an 2003 Galant (2.4L) with 133 000 km on it. My problem is this. I have poor i dle, like its really low. It sits around 550-600rpm. But most of the time its stable. I am not sure what the idle for this car should be, but as a general rule they should be around 750RPM. Also when I turn the AC on, esp. if it is in stop light (on D) RPM bogs down, and car shuts off. Also there are no check engine lights of any kind.
I cleaned the MAF sensor, that kind of helped it for a couple months, but now its doing the same thing. I have been told to clean the throttle body, except i dont know how to remove the big hose. Also people are talking about this screw on top of TB that is used to adjust idle, I dont know which one it is.
Could people please help me with this, problem isn't just irritating, its dangerous.

mko
03-02-2010, 05:21 PM
open up the biss screw 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, see if it helps.

silversurfer
03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
i would definately not take and or make any adjustments to the biss screw only to remove the throttle body and use throttle body spray that is safe for the sensors and clean it then check your spark plug wires and plugs. Its probally been a while since it had a tune up sounds like . this will most definately solve the problem it happens to all galants . go look at the tutorial it will show u how to do it its easy.

bronxbombr
03-02-2010, 09:17 PM
sell you a brand new IAC. drop me a PM

arsebiter
03-03-2010, 07:03 AM
alright guys, thanks for the replies.

As for removing the big airhose to the throttle body, is it simply unscrewing the tightening washer? it looks a little complicated to remove...

silversurfer
03-06-2010, 04:31 PM
no its not complicated just loosen it iuntill it gets loose enough to slide the hose off not all the way though then re apply then tighten.

mar08052
03-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I had a problem like that and end ended up being a oil leakfrom valve cover

arsebiter
03-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Hi guys,

I have cleaned the throttle body, some black sludge came out....but i still have the problem...and recently its gotten worse. everytime AC is switched on.. rpm starts fluttering than stalls, and shuts off, I really dont know what to do...please help, thanks.

bgood12
04-03-2010, 11:23 PM
I had the same problem use b12 takes 10 minutes and works wonders go to forum search and search seafoam or just look at my posts its the most recent one I had prior to this post

Corey2kG
04-03-2010, 11:49 PM
I had the same problem when I 1st bought my g and I did everything that everyone suggested and it fixed that prob.....

arsebiter
04-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Hi guys,

So an update for the car... I took it to a mechanic, i fully removed the MAF (washed it completely with brake cleaner) Then I completely took out the IAC, also washed it with brake cleaner, washed throttle body with brake cleaner while IAC was off. I also replaced all the spark plugs (some look like they havent been changed since car was new...) also one plug was badly fouled that i dont think it even fired...replaced everything and well rpm is ok in park or neutral its smooth and fine even with AC on. But in drive it sometimes "flutters" down a bit, but hasnt stalled yet (i hope no more stalling) and its been getting smoother as i drive it more. Apparently people on this forum say the car's ecu is relearning idle and rpm values...i didnt disconnect the battery when i did this procedure so w.e. hopefully no more problems. Also it seems after that the car gained like 20 Hp am not even joking lol (much better acceleration, it used to be like a damn mule, pretty slow acceleration). So now if i ever have the stalls again, then i know my MAF or IAC are shot....

bgood12
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
still try giving it a shot of b12 it will clean out any carbon build up since it sounds like the car was not taken care of before you got it. if you want to know if it works ask a mechanic or look up the old transmission fluid and water method. b12 is like that method but more precise.