PDA

View Full Version : Moving Head Unit

Timdojo
03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey guys,

I recently bought a kenwood KVT 514 head unit, and I installed it in the normal top slot in the center console. My problem is that it's always hot as hell when I get in the car, and the unit has a 7 inch screen which is blocking the 2 main AC vents. I could close the screen for a while, but I'd rather not. So I would like to pretty much move each slot on the console up one. Instead of it being Head Unit/ AC Controls/ Pocket, I want to make it AC Controls/ Pocket/ Head Unit. This way the screen wouldn't be blocking anything important.

How hard is it to mount the pocket and AC cluster in those spots?

polishmafia
03-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Not difficult at all. I assume that since you put the head unit in, you know how to take off the bezel. After that its all about making some brackets to hold the H/U in the new location, and one for the a/c controls (that comes out with a couple of screws on either side).

Timdojo
03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I know i'd be able to get the Head Unit to sit still, but I thought I remembered there being plastic brackets that held the AC Controls in place. Are those removable? because i think those will block the pocket lol

SPD_FRK
03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
From last I looked you could really only flop the top and bottom "slots" with each other. The center slot where the Heat/AC controls set are mounted to the actual plastic dash portion with 4 screws. You would need to make some additional/custom bracket to relocate these to the top portion of the location.

You can easily mount the head unit on the bottom slot using the side plates from the bottom pocket I believe (will have to double check my setup).

mrjaydeeone
03-04-2010, 12:36 AM
you really just need to drill 4 new holes for the climate control to sit where you want them. I had lowered the climate control to the bottom at one point as I had a custom bezel with screens in the middle. I am not sure about moving the pocket on the bezel. not positive if it is able to be reattached to any other part of the bezel. But the climate control has enough slack to move to the top or the bottom area.

254reese
03-04-2010, 01:50 AM
I swapped the pocket and HU. Right now I have the pocket just slid in through the front. How did you guys mount that pocket from the rear?

Timdojo
03-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I tried moving the AC controls to the top, but the plastic around the top slot is recessed more than the middle slot, so there's a gap between the bezel and the actual control block, and I couldn't figure a way to keep the pocket in the middle either lol..

Da_Prodigy
03-07-2010, 09:39 PM
only way i can think of to keep pocket in middle is to glue on it there w/ sumthing

mrjaydeeone
03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I believe I pulled the climate control infront and screwed it down. I am not positive though. Infront of the opening not infront of the bezel lol

Timdojo
03-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I believe I pulled the climate control infront and screwed it down. I am not positive though. Infront of the opening not infront of the bezel lol

lol i was trying to figure out a way to do that.. but there's too much plastic around the control box lol i couldn't get it to sit right:087:

Jeffylou87
03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Why dont you make a custom mount for it like mine. I love mine down there..

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/jeffylou87/TGC/DSCN2166.jpg

Timdojo
03-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Why dont you make a custom mount for it like mine. I love mine down there..

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/jeffylou87/TGC/DSCN2166.jpg

aww man.. that looks awesome lol.. but i don't think i have the know how to hook it up like that:orangesighw:

Jeffylou87
03-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I didnt have to extend any wires.. They all reached just fine.. The hard part is getting that peice made..

03GalantEs
11-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I didnt have to extend any wires.. They all reached just fine.. The hard part is getting that peice made..

i know this id off topic, but your interior would look so hot if it was all black.

Jeffylou87
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
My carpet is now black, and my shift bezel is wrapped in CF.. All black is too much..